VA Service Connected COLA 2025 info

Site logo image
DisabledVeterans.orgRead on blog or Reader

Proposed COLA Adjustment for 2025: Impact on VA Benefits

mail
Editorial Staff
April 12
"As October approaches, the Senate is preparing to discuss a pivotal bill that may introduce a significant cost of living adjustment (COLA) for Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits. This legislative effort, spearheaded by Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Jon Tester (D-Mont.) and ranking member Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), is designed to synchronize the increase in veterans' benefits […]"

Ben Krause has been a Veteran's advocate for decades and his site has many good tips for veterans.

This bill would also cover survivors of veterans who get DIC.

The proposed COLA amount is not determined yet and when I get more news on this, I will post it here.

mail
Editorial Staff
April 12
"As October approaches, the Senate is preparing to discuss a pivotal bill that may introduce a significant cost of living adjustment (COLA) for Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits. This legislative effort, spearheaded by Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Jon Tester (D-Mont.) and ranking member Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), is designed to synchronize the increase in veterans' benefits […]"

Ben Krause has been a Veteran's advocate for decades and his site has many good tips for veterans.

This bill would also cover survivors of veterans who get DIC.

The proposed COLA amount is not determined yet and when I get more news on this, I will post it here.
Nice.. Thanks.

It would be an adjustment to Service connected disability payments that veterans receive, as an increase .

"If you’re the surviving spouse, child, or parent of a service member who died in the line of duty, or the survivor of a Veteran who died from a service-related injury or illness, you may be able to get a tax-free monetary benefit called VA Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (VA DIC). Find out if you can get VA benefits or compensation."

About VA DIC for spouses, dependents, and parents | Veterans Affairs

I am a Gold Star Wife and I receive DIC.
There are many nuances to this benefit and hopefully the VA web site has all the info the survivors need to know.

GSW also has many surviving husbands of service connected deceased veteran wives ,and they can get DIC too.

VA also recognizes same sex marriages and, in many cases common law marriages.

However one condition is that the marriage be at least one year prior to the veteran's death. This condition has prevented death bed marriages, where the veteran might have been the sole support of the wife, and the veteran had a VA disability check coming in every month.

I know a minister who worked for VA for many years, and decades ago it was not unusual for someone to ask him ,once in a while, to marry them to a veteran who was hospitalized, severely ill, and not able to last long. He never did that.

I have great respect for Gold Star family members. Too often it is overlooked that family members serve right along with the person serving our country. You bring up a new question in my mind. We all receive an adjustment to our active duty pay, social security benefits, disability compensation benefits, and other well earned payments. The annual COLA adjustment is legislation reviewed each year to keep payments on pace with the economy. Is this conversation about a potential adjustment separate from that annual legislated change based upon the CPI? Just trying to learn....

Back