Vietnam - Go back or not?

TennVet

For years I buried the memories of Vietnam; didn't talk about it at all, and didn't share even with family about my experiences. After retiring from my professional life I tried reviewing things through a different lens. My new activities brought me in contact with peers who had similar life histories. Those similarities ranged from married life, to raising children, career world, loss of a child. You get it, I was beginning to open up about where my life has taken me both the good and bad.

Eventually, I even talked about the what Vietnam had meant to me, both good and bad. I even shared some of that with family, and I found out that they were hungry to know about it, and could relate to how it had impacted their interactions with me for years. Receiving my healthcare at the VA is was rubbing shoulders with veterans and found that my experiences weren't as strange as I had grown to think they were.

I have a beloved son-in-law who encouraged me to share some of that block of my history with him and his growing family. He is smart enough to know that he wanted his children to understand that period of our nation from an intimate source outside of the history books.

Recently, the subject came up about possibly revisiting Vietnam. I was aware that fellow Veterans had made that voyage, and mentally I just rejected the idea completely thinking it would just not be a good thing to do. A guest at our Thanksgiving dinner showed me a completely different view of the subject. This is a successful business man who operates a business in many Southeast Asian locations, including Vietnam.

Learning from my son-in-law that I was a Vietnam combat vet he told me about his father. Turns out his father, also his business partner, had some very gruesome memories of the Vietnam he had seen. He convinced his dad to return with him and see what was the same and what was different. The subject then changed, he suggested that he, his dad, my son-in-law, my grandson and me could make that same trip. I wasn't sure how I felt about that at first, but my analytical mind has chewed on the subject many times since that discussion.

So tell me vets, what are your thoughts on this subject? In a completely different setting someone else had suggested this to me a few years earlier. My response was an emphatic no at that time. I even told that person I hadn't even gotten over the nightmares yet. If it were you, would you go back there? I'm still debating, some days it is still a big no, but on other days I explore in my mind the idea that it might be a healing step and finally bring some closure. Help me out on this one......

My kid’s dad is 78 and was in Vietnam. When I divorced him he was 52 and still having nightmares. My youngest son moved to Vietnam and teaches there. My ex said that he absolutely can not go back for a visit.

Since I was in the Bath and Racquet Club of the Military (Air Force) my tour over there wasn't all that traumatic. I was at Cam Rahn Bay from Aug. 1970-May of 1971 and Danang from May 1971-Aug. of 1971. Maybe if Uncle Sam would send me there for free like he did the first time I'd go just to see what they've done with the place since I left. But if it had to be on my own dime there are other things I'd rather spend my money on.

Everyone made a contribution, even the chair force. I was one of the first to be able to come back to the US for my R&R. Hawaii and Australia looked inviting but I had a little boy who I had only seen for ten days before leaving for Nam.

The Red Cross sent a Loach (2 person Chopper) out to get me with a message that one of my troop's parents requested that I accompany their son's body home. After seeing the pain in that mother's eyes I almost didn't go back to my unit. I never told my wife about that trip for years. If I had gone to see my wife and son I probably would have gone AWOL. Sure was glad when my turn came to board a plane back to the world.

I'm not a vet, but my brother is and some cousins are. Some of them went back and are glad they did.

But there's political unrest there right now and I've heard it's getting pretty bad. You should look into that if you decide to go.

I'm not a vet, but my brother is and some cousins are. Some of them went back and are glad they did.

But there's political unrest there right now and I've heard it's getting pretty bad. You should look into that if you decide to go.
My son lives and works in Saigon and hasn’t said anything about unrest.

I don't understand what benefit would ever come of doing this... I see only the opposite. Some memories are better left buried.

Last edited:

Back