Hello Everyone I live currently in Washington, DC--recently semi-retired

Hello Everyone I live currently in Washington, DC--recently semi-retired

I am former nurse and Administrator at an Episcopal Church. I have lived in Cairo, Egypt for six years and then came back here to Washington, DC. I am looking to possibly move to a cheaper area of the country so I can formally retire in a few years, but I work three days a week and may wish to continue doing that for a while online. I love great travel, good books and just nice conversation. I am interested in spirituality and am a volunteer in a historic Episcopal Church.

Hi Jenn, You lived in Cairo? How fascinating! I'd love to hear about it.

welcome1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 2019retiree View Post
    I am former nurse and Administrator at an Episcopal Church. I have lived in Cairo, Egypt for six years and then came back here to Washington, DC. I am looking to possibly move to a cheaper area of the country so I can formally retire in a few years, but I work three days a week and may wish to continue doing that for a while online. I love great travel, good books and just nice conversation. I am interested in spirituality and am a volunteer in a historic Episcopal Church.
    Welcome from Arizona.JPG

ALONE NOW....TAKING IT DAY BY DAY!! RIP BABY...

Thank you it was a wonderful time and I even had few camels. It was a dream come true to see a land I had read about a good part of my life. I found the Egyptians very hospitable
    and welcoming. People there had time to work and play and family time was very important. Thank you for the warm welcome. I am trying to decide where to permanently retire, Washington DC is very interesting, however, and I will have a hard time finding a place that is this stimulating where I can walk to everything.

“We're all just walking each ​other home.” Ram Dass

Hi Jenn!

Welcome from Houston!! I still cherish the little Episcopal church I attended in Center, Texas while I was raising my two girls alone. Made a best friend for life there. Its a very small church and they cherish the priests they have that come and go as they are too small to support a priest of their own. I found a lot of peace and comfort there with the people and the priest as I raised my girls. I love the large Episcopal church here but I don't feel at home like I do in a smaller group. I have thought many times about moving there but the medical facilities I would need are at least an hour away so I hesitate to do that. My 2 best friends in the world live there and the thought of that little church keeps me thinking about it. My friends keep me informed of the church happenings and they do have a FB page I enjoy reading. But something keeps drawing me there when I think about moving. Anyway welcome as I think you will enjoy this group!

Welcome to SF. I am a retired pilot for United. Dulles was my home airport. I did not fly international, but I have traveled fairly extensively. I hope that you make new friends here.
    "SEMPER FI"

Hi Jenn welcome to this friendly forum,we have something in common
    I worked part time as a pharmacy assistant in local hospital for 27yrs,retired in 2011
    I grew up in an Episcopal church,became Presbyterian 25 yrs ago,I volunteered in our church office 2-3 mornings/wk
    Sue in Buffalo,NY
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Hi

Hello and welcome from New Jersey. My daughter and family live in DC also. We visit often. I'm not to keen on all that DC traffic.

Hi, Jenn, welcome to the neighborhood, and welcome to my neighborhood! This area is both good and bad for retirement.

Good: Lots of social services, entertainment, employment and volunteer opportunities, excellent medical care and many good hospitals, many retirement communities of all kinds, good restaurants, fascinating cultural activities such as museums, theaters, etc., plenty of colleges, community colleges, informal classes for seniors, beautiful libraries, all those wonderful museums and galleries.

Bad: High rents, not too much affordable housing, traffic (like all cities), city is lacking in spiritual values. Summer heat and humidity can be oppressive. And our baseball team is terrible.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.