Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you ever find yourself alone on holidays?

Do you ever find yourself alone on holidays?

This last Christmas, for the first time in my life, I spent alone, if only for a short time. My husband was working and my adult daughter was at her boyfriend's. I didn't think it would bother me all that much, but was surprised by how much it did. I found myself getting more and more depressed until my daughter came back home. I come from a large extended family, but over the years we have really grown apart. Everyone has their own families now and their own traditions.

It made me think of all the people out there who don't have anyone to share with and what are my own future holidays going to look like?

I usually go every yr to see my brother&family at Thanksgiving for couple days but didn't last yr because of a sore knee.He was disappointed
    I'll spend either Christmas Eve or Christmas afternoon with my close friends,rest of time I'm alone which I prefer
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Rarely. They all live nearby.
    John

No, my daughter has taken over Christmas because the Grand kids like to be home playing with their new toys so we stay with them. Thanksgiving is my holiday but what does make me sad is that each year there are fewer and fewer around the table. We weren't a big family to begin with so anyone not present is very noticeable and adds some sadness to the day. The other holidays are up for grabs and usually we are not alone. If it works out that we are I don't stress over it.

Since losing my wife, I will always be alone for holidays.

ALONE NOW....TAKING IT DAY BY DAY!! RIP BABY...

No, but I always become depressed on Thanksgiving and Christmas even when I am with my famiy.
    MY LEGS HAVE ALWAYS HELD ME UP, MY ARMS ALWAYS BY MY SIDE, MY FINGERS I COULD ALWAYS COUNT ON.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    Since losing my wife, I will always be alone for holidays.
    Yes, I thought about you when I was posting. And how many others are out there in the same situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Uptosnuff View Post
    Yes, I thought about you when I was posting. And how many others are out there in the same situation?
    Many. I'm sure. Sad but true...

ALONE NOW....TAKING IT DAY BY DAY!! RIP BABY...

No.

I love living alone but I have to admit I miss spending Christmas with my family. All my family, siblings and children are now living in other countries. We keep in touch over the internet, but it's no substitute for actually being with them. Yes, I could spend Christmas with them, but I prefer to be in England at that time of the year.

Sometimes I'm alone on holidays, but I don't stress about it. Most of my family is either dead or on the other side of the country.

Well, I will be having some family over for Thanksgiving. Same guests I have had in the past. Not sure what will happen for Christmas, I suppose my niece will invite me, but not sure if I want to travel if weather is not good. New Years eve and day I will have no problem staying home. That was our usual routine anyway.
    If there's a Rock and Roll heaven, you know they have a hell of a band.

I am alone on all the holidays now. Sometimes they have a get together here at the apt. place on July 4th weather permitting. I'm pretty used to being alone, have my little doggy and birdies to be with still.

I don't mind being alone on holidays.

If it bothered me I would invite someone in for a drink or a meal take them out for a meal, etc...

Sometimes we need to make an effort to change/improve our own lives and not depend on others to do it for us.

I've been alone on holidays, by choice, and it never bothered me. Being alone, and being lonely are two very different things.
    When I feel the need for company or a little livelier setting, especially on the holidays, then I head over to my daughter's house (about a mile away) .... never a dull moment at their house with kids/dogs, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.