$1,000,000 Bottle Of Wine That's Out Of This World

JonDouglas

I found this on the newswires, wondering who would spend that much money on a bottle of wine. My answer is that it will most likely be someone whose net worth is many orders of magnitudes greater than his/her sense of value.

LONDON (AP) - The wine is out of this world. The price is appropriately stratospheric.​
Christie’s said Tuesday it is selling a bottle of French wine that spent more than a year in orbit aboard the International Space Station. The auction house thinks a wine connoisseur might pay as much as $1 million to own it.​
The Pétrus 2000 is one of 12 bottles sent into space in November 2019 by researchers exploring the potential for extraterrestrial agriculture. It returned 14 months later subtly altered, according to wine experts who sampled it at a tasting in France.​
Tim Tiptree, international director of Christie’s wine and spirits department, said the space-aged wine was "matured in a unique environment" of near zero-gravity aboard the space station.​
Not being a wine drinker, I really have no clue about these things.

Curiosity got the better of me as I wondered what the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold was. Without any extensive research (i.e. a quick google search) I found that a six liter bottle of Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon 1992 went for around a half mil. Wine snob?

It was perhaps stupid of me to post the OP because as soon as I did, I started wasting time asking myself questions I couldn't answer. One of them was "Wine snob?" Well, what is a wine snob and how would you know if you were or met one? That begat another query that resulted in finding 17 Signs You're A Wind Snob, summarized below.
  1. You decant like a fiend.
  2. Your dream house is about 17% wine cellar.
  3. You not only insist on the correct stemware, but audibly cringe at the use of tumblers, generic wine glasses, goblets, cups and those god-awful stemless wine glasses that have somehow weaseled their way into polite society.
  4. When a fellow dining companion grips his or her glass at the bowl instead of the stem you gasp,
  5. You take wine with you on the plane.
  6. You know every good vintage of Burgundy, Bordeaux and Napa in recorded history.
  7. You don’t buy wine from bad years
  8. You collect more wine than you drink.
  9. You won’t collect anything below 94 points.
  10. You prefer to collect bottles that are older than you are
  11. On your last trip to wine country, you tasted the vineyard dirt
  12. You’ve developed a swirling tic that causes you to swirl everything – coffee, water, empty air, your two-year-old niece.
  13. You can detect boysenberry, slate, coconut, honeysuckle, a hint of nutmeg, a soupçon of baby feet and just the echo of a whisper of puppy breath in a wine.
  14. You believe butterfly corkscrews, rabbits and other idiot-proof bottle-opening devices are harbingers of evil
  15. You won’t even touch screw-top wine and refuse to accept the notion of wine being stored in boxes.
  16. If the wine list is delivered to someone else at your table and they don’t immediately pass it to you are at very serious risk of having a conniption.
  17. Your annual wine budget is on par with your car payments.
I think I know some people who're well on their way. :)

Last edited:
In ode to this great thread... a couple of pictures of over-the-top wine cellars in which to store that special $1 Million dollar bottle of vino.

The%2Bwine%2Bcellar%2Bin%2BCastello%2Bdi%2BAmorosa%2Bin%2BCalistoga%252C%2BCalifornia.%2BBuilding%2Bmaterials%2Bincluded%2B8%252C000%2Btons%2Bof%2Blocally%2Bquarried%2Bstone%2Band%2B850%252C000%2Bbricks%2Bimported%2Bfrom%2BEurope.jpg

dam-images-homes-2010-09-wine_cellars-07_wine_cellars.jpg

If you put a $20 and a $200 bottle of wine in front of me I could not tell the difference. I think the price for the average sales of a bottle of wine in America is $20.
I'm the same.

As for cost, in and around the $20 mark is pretty much what an average bottle of wins runs us here, too.

Whoever drinks it will probably turn into the Outer Limits Crater-Man anyway :eek:
Anyone can achieve the same affect by throwing a bottle into Nasa's anti-gravity chamber for a year.
Your solution is much more complicated than mine, Lara, I plan on just throwing the next bottle of wine that I buy up in the air, catching it, and enjoying an even more fabulous bottle of wine, and I'll only have to spend in and around the $20 mark to enjoy my idea. :)

Who says a frugal lifestyle doesn't have it's rewards. :)

Your solution is much more complicated than mine, Lara, I plan on just throwing the next bottle of wine that I buy up in the air, catching it, and enjoying an even more fabulous bottle of wine, and I'll only have to spend in and around the $20 mark to enjoy my idea. :)

Who says a frugal lifestyle doesn't have it's rewards. :)
Instead of throwing your wine, hear me out. I am going to help you get rich on that idea. In Germany, they throw some spices into wine that is later heated (traditionally with a hot poker) and call it Glühwein (glow wine). You could put spices in some cheap wine, bottle it, take it up in a plane, helicopter, tower, barn loft or whater and drop it onto something soft. Call it Luftwein (air wine) where the "notes" of whatever are enhanced by the temporary absence of gravity. Snobs will love it. :ROFLMAO:

Instead of throwing your wine, hear me out. I am going to help you get rich on that idea. In Germany, they throw some spices into wine that is later heated (traditionally with a hot poker) and call it Glühwein (glow wine). You could put spices in some cheap wine, bottle it, take it up in a plane, helicopter, tower, barn loft or whater and drop it onto something soft. Call it Luftwein (air wine) where the "notes" of whatever are enhanced by the temporary absence of gravity. Snobs will love it. :ROFLMAO:
I'm going to get right on it, Jon! LOL!

Pomerols are my favorite Bordeaux wine and Chat. Petrus is the best of all of them. Smooth as silk, elegant, soft, with a beautiful finish. They are amazing wines with roasted lamb.

That said, even if I had zillions to spend, $1M for that Petrus is a waste. It's like the ridiculous prices commanded by Pappy Van Winkle's Bourbon whiskey. I loved the old Pappy's 20 yr reserve, but no liquor or wine on earth is worth thousands of dollars. Only the nouveau riche are so gauche as to think money buys class.

It was perhaps stupid of me to post the OP because as soon as I did, I started wasting time asking myself questions I couldn't answer. One of them was "Wine snob?" Well, what is a wine snob and how would you know if you were or met one? That begat another query that resulted in finding 17 Signs You're A Wind Snob, summarized below.
  1. You decant like a fiend.
  2. Your dream house is about 17% wine cellar.
  3. You not only insist on the correct stemware, but audibly cringe at the use of tumblers, generic wine glasses, goblets, cups and those god-awful stemless wine glasses that have somehow weaseled their way into polite society.
  4. When a fellow dining companion grips his or her glass at the bowl instead of the stem you gasp,
  5. You take wine with you on the plane.
  6. You know every good vintage of Burgundy, Bordeaux and Napa in recorded history.
  7. You don’t buy wine from bad years
  8. You collect more wine than you drink.
  9. You won’t collect anything below 94 points.
  10. You prefer to collect bottles that are older than you are
  11. On your last trip to wine country, you tasted the vineyard dirt
  12. You’ve developed a swirling tic that causes you to swirl everything – coffee, water, empty air, your two-year-old niece.
  13. You can detect boysenberry, slate, coconut, honeysuckle, a hint of nutmeg, a soupçon of baby feet and just the echo of a whisper of puppy breath in a wine.
  14. You believe butterfly corkscrews, rabbits and other idiot-proof bottle-opening devices are harbingers of evil
  15. You won’t even touch screw-top wine and refuse to accept the notion of wine being stored in boxes.
  16. If the wine list is delivered to someone else at your table and they don’t immediately pass it to you are at very serious risk of having a conniption.
  17. Your annual wine budget is on par with your car payments.
I think I know some people who're well on their way. :)

If one appreciates good wine...the glass you drink it from is very important...here's why....

🍷🍷🍷

Back