10 Expressions you are probably getting wrong.

#9 ... I Could Care Less ...
That one makes me laugh .. because every time I hear it, it seems to cause great argument, and is beaten into the ground.
I have on occasion asked the speaker:
"Really, you could care less?"

"Yes!"

"Well then, how MUCH less, could you care?"
(then the dazed look comes over them)
Not for nothing.
Hey, I say that!

phrase [PHRASE cl, it v-link PHR that]
If you say that it was not for nothing that something happened, you are emphasizing that there was a very good reason for it to happen.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/not-for-nothing

The defense rests. :)

I have on occasion asked the speaker:
"Really, you could care less?"

"Yes!"

"Well then, how MUCH less, could you care?"
(then the dazed look comes over them)

Hey, I say that!

phrase [PHRASE cl, it v-link PHR that]
If you say that it was not for nothing that something happened, you are emphasizing that there was a very good reason for it to happen.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/not-for-nothing

The defense rests. :)
Whenever I have heard it used, it is to connote a negative not a positive which I of course know what it is supposed to do. Often used incorrectly.

I was an English major in college so I never misused any of them, sometimes cringe when I hear them.
But it’s so easy to pick up “sayings” or idioms. For example, I was in a FedEx place the other day to ship a return and the polite young male clerk started to explain the process to the nice old lady (me) and I replied “that’s ok, it’s not my first rodeo”!

"I could care less" is wrong, and obviously means you do care. But it's in such common use that I think it has replaced the correct expression, which would be "I couldn't care less." I can't even remember the last time I heard it said that way.

Makes no sense, but that's how language works.

On a flight, where the flight attendant spoke "American English", my colleague asked if he could have a drink. She replied that we would be "landing momentarily". My colleague responded, "I hope not, I want the plane to stay on the ground".

(I hate the expression "de plane", it's "disembark" !)

Back