11/22/63 60 years ago this month

Marie5656

Well...the 60th anniversary of the tragedy is approaching. I was 9 years old, and did realize the magnatude at the time. If you have HULU, there is a miniseries of the Stephen King book of the same name. About a man who goes down a "rabbit hole" to try and stop the event. Reminder of how history cannot be changed,,,,
11.22.63 (TV Mini Series 2016) ⭐ 8.1 | Drama, Mystery, Romance

112263.jpg

In 1963,I lived in a small town in Massachusetts. I was 17, a junior at a tiny Catholic high school. The nuns were all of Irish descent. My grandfather knew JFK, and worked on his Senatorial campaign.
To this day, I can't watch anything about Nov . 22nd.
I can imagine. My Irish friends all seemed to have Kennedy's picture on the wall.

I read that King book a few months ago. Like helenbacque said, it could have been shortened up a bit, too many plot threads for me. The hero actually had to go back and let it happen because preventing the assassination actually made things worse for the world.

I was in 6th grade (11 years old). One of the students came in and announced that Kennedy was shot. No one believed him,. We were not sent home, but but when I got home my mom was watching the broadcast on TV.

Last edited:
I was merely in 2nd grade. But I remember the radio news being sent into the classrooms over the PA system. It was overcast outside and we didn't know what it was going to mean for the country. Scary day.

I can imagine. My Irish friends all seemed to have Kennedy's picture on the wall.
Strangely enough, pictures of John Kennedy were commonly seen in Turkey in the 60s and 70s. Many shops and homes would have a photo of him hanging beside their photo of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (Kennedy's picture was smaller, of course).

He was highly regarded in Turkey in those days. There is a Kennedy Caddesi (avenue) in Istanbul named for him.

I was playing poker in the barracks in Germany when one of the guys rushed in with a broadcast on the Armed Forces Network. We stopped playing and put on our uniforms and headed for the shops, just as the base went on full alert. We stayed on alert for 2 days while it was determined that there was no national threat.

I was in 8th grade and lived in a small mountain town in Colorado.

I clearly recall that I was in the Band room that fateful morning. A student was sent to go around and advise all classes that the President of the United States, had been assassinated and that we were all to gather up our books and coats and directly home. I left the school and walked to where my mom worked to advise her, I was out of school and was going directly home to watch the TV. Within an hour both my mom and dad were home. We all stayed in the house for about a week as everything was shut down. Something you just never forget!

Sent home early from school. We were only told he had been shot. It was a rainy walk home. When I arrived, both parents were there watching the news and thought to myself, ut oh, must have died.

Last edited:
I was 3 and so I don't remember the assassination. I do wonder if the definitive answer will ever be agreed on. Conspiracy, loan shooter, more than one shooter? Shows on TV this week.

I was 7 years old at the time, so it was startling but I didn't really understand the implications. Now I understand, and since we live in Dallas I've visited the 6th Floor Museum. It is amazing.

I found this particular clip of 97 year-old newsman Bill Mercer seeing the camera with which he informed Lee Harvey Oswald he was guilty of murder now on display.

I hate watching that old film of JFK's assassination, just like I hate watching the planes crashing into the Twin Towers. President Kennedy is still my favorite president. I keep thinking how much better the country would have been had he served his full term and maybe a second one as well. Then in 1968 his brother Robert was leading everyone in the polls, from both parties. Also if Martin Luther King lived a lot longer, the 1960's would have been great. Take away the Viet Nam War, it would have been even better. I always loved the music, movies, & television shows from that period in time. They were really the only good thing about the 1960's. There were so many bad memories for the United States back then.

The Byrds had a great song about President Kennedy and his death.

What an unbelievable weekend that was. The sadness that pervaded all corners of the world hung over us like a veil of fog. We went to work, school and carried on hazily.

I was 19 and working a night shift at a company and was sleeping when my phone rang and a friend said
President Kennedy had been shot. I didn't believe her but was foggy with sleep so got up and turned on the radio that said he had been shot but not dead. Then I went out to turn on the TV and it was announced he had died. The whole town was so quiet and people so sad. I cried at his funeral and the two little children left behind and little John, Jr. saluting the coffin.

Well...the 60th anniversary of the tragedy is approaching. I was 9 years old, and did realize the magnatude at the time. If you have HULU, there is a miniseries of the Stephen King book of the same name. About a man who goes down a "rabbit hole" to try and stop the event. Reminder of how history cannot be changed,,,,
11.22.63 (TV Mini Series 2016) ⭐ 8.1 | Drama, Mystery, Romance

View attachment 312979
We watched that Stephen King series on TV, it was very good.

When I was doing some trading at the FBI training facility in Virginia, the showed us some of the evidence from the Kennedy assassination. They had cartridge shells and the bullets that were removed from him. They also had the same for Ruby and Oswald. There were a lot of pictures taken, but we weren’t allowed to touch them, nor could we if we wanted to.

A terrible day in history.

Funny how some days stick with us so very clearly. I was in 1st grade and we were dismissed early to go home. I can so clearly see the big floor model TV playing all day long as updates were coming in. Most likely Huntley/Brinkley voices in the background with those updates.

Back