16 Foods to Eat on a Ketogenic Diet

moregrace

The ketogenic diet has become quite popular recently. Studies have found that this very low-carb, high-fat diet is effective for weight loss, diabetes and epilepsy. There's also early evidence to show that it may be beneficial for certain cancers, Alzheimer's disease and other diseases, too.

A ketogenic diet typically limits carbs to 20–50 grams per day. While this may seem challenging, many nutritious foods can easily fit into this way of eating.

Here are 16 healthy foods to eat on a ketogenic diet.

1. Seafood. Fish and shellfish are very keto-friendly foods. ...
  2. Low-Carb Vegetables. ...
  3. Cheese. ...
  4. Avocados. ...
  5. Meat and Poultry. ...
  6. Eggs. ...
  7. Coconut Oil. ...
  8. Plain Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese.
  9. 9. Olive Oil
  10. Nuts and Seeds
  11. Berries
  12. Butter and Cream
  13. Shirataki Noodles
  14. Olives
  15. Unsweetened Coffee and Tea
  16. Dark Chocolate and Cocoa Powder

Thanks for the info, but this whole "shelter in place" episode has made any idea of dieting unlikely. And my morning blood sugar tests, along with the bathroom scales, confirm this.

And welcome to Senior Forums! It really is a great place.
Mine too!

That's a pretty good list but I would edit out some of the animal fats and add some booze.

I have gotten back on the Keto food plan and it really has made a difference in how I feel. I have mobility issues with my knees and I know losing weight is the first thing for me to address. Also I do the Intermitten Fasting with it, following Dr. Jason Fung on that. It was easy to get back to it once this quarantine hit since I didn't have to eat with other people now. I just saw this post today or else I would have commented sooner.

I made the mistake a while ago of ordering some pre-packaged Keto meals. What they sent me was many dinners with 'Meat' .. beef and steak dinners. That made me realize I don't really care for beef ..:ROFLMAO:. ... Seafood and poultry are all I ever buy for myself these days.

And they over did on breakfast meals with bacon. But that didn't get wasted as my dog loves Turkey Bacon strips.
I'm back to buying my own now. And I buy everything else on that list.

Is popcorn allowed on the Keto diet? Dill pickles? sour cream?
Anything that has carbohydrates is not allowed or drastically limited. All grains including popcorn have carbs. Anything made from a grain has carbs. That's why bread is a no-no; it starts out as wheat. Sour cream is very low in carbs - around .5 gms/tbs. Pickles have little, if any carbs, since cucumbers are a non-starchy vegetable & the spices (salt, vinegar, etc) have no carbs.
Keto works by drastically restricting carbs - which is our main energy source. That forces us to metabolize fat for energy instead of glucose, which creates a "Ketogenic" state, known as "Ketosis." Whether that's healthy or not is up for debate, depending on who you ask. People who lose weight on it love it, of course.

When I lost weight, I never heard of "Keto." I only limited processed carbs - bread, anything made with flour, pasta, polished rice (white and brown). I did not limit fruit, beans, etc.

Spiritual fastings mainly. 3 or 4 days of only drinking pure water, I feel fresh, clean, free, clear headed and more in tune with all existence.
And, to your next question: Yes, I am VERY WEIRD!
3 or 4 days? Is that healthy??

Spiritual fastings mainly. 3 or 4 days of only drinking pure water, I feel fresh, clean, free, clear headed and more in tune with all existence.
And, to your next question: Yes, I am VERY WEIRD!
I'm cool with weird. No issues with it.

i admire fasting, as long as its not followed by a binge, we all eat way too much, in Europe mainly because of food being rationed in our childhood... but on the whole we eat way too much, mainly for comfort... so as i said, i admire fasting.

Back