16 Inch Softball

fmdog44

In my Chicago suburb we played with a 16 inch softball and when I visited other cities all were 12 inch. What size balls did you use?

When I played fast-pitch for our Parks and Recreation adult league we used a high compression 11-inch ball. I think that's the largest baseball I've ever used. We could only use metal bats, too. No doubt the larger high compression baseballs are wooden bat busters.

I remember an old video in YouTube about Chi Town 16 inch softball. The vid was about one and a half minute but an online pal me it is a reflection of Chicago in that it had 16 inch softball, fights among the players, cursing, and arguments with the umpire. I esp liked the ump's South Side accent. Sadly, the video has disappeared and I could not trace it. But it sure gave me lots of laffs!

When you guys play 16 inch, do you use gloves? Wooden bats? In your reply, no cursing allowed. ;)

16 Inch Softball​

I could prolly hit that

.....if I had a 16 inch bat

Since early teens, I've swung for the fences
I either whiffed, or trotted around the bases
Usually strode to the plate and back to the dugout most times

Never played much softball, but had a friend that caught for The King and His Court

I remember an old video in YouTube about Chi Town 16 inch softball. The vid was about one and a half minute but an online pal me it is a reflection of Chicago in that it had 16 inch softball, fights among the players, cursing, and arguments with the umpire. I esp liked the ump's South Side accent. Sadly, the video has disappeared and I could not trace it. But it sure gave me lots of laffs!

When you guys play 16 inch, do you use gloves? Wooden bats? In your reply, no cursing allowed. ;)
No gloves and yes wood bats. The hard core players that were older could pitch that 16 inch ball a lot faster than you would imagine. We just played to play but the leagues took it real serous and they were very good athletes.

16 Inch Softball​

I could prolly hit that

.....if I had a 16 inch bat

Since early teens, I've swung for the fences
I either whiffed, or trotted around the bases
Usually strode to the plate and back to the dugout most times

Never played much softball, but had a friend that caught for The King and His Court
Actually the players in the leagues played with a ball that was hard and could drive it a long way like out of the park. Keep in mind the pitchers threw it with a lot of velocity.. It was cool to watch because they were dead serious about the games.

{off topic}

OK guys, just going off topic for a short while to present Bill Gleason. Those of you from Chicago knew him very well. Most of us only saw him once we got cable tv. A fascinating character and a true Chicagoan. Not only that ~ his South Side accent is one for the ages:

I bet he watched quite a few 16 inch Chicago games over his many years.

Back