2021-2 NFL Pro Football (pls, no other sports!)

Lethe200

The 2021-2 Season begins! Tonight is Thurs Night Football with Tampa Bay Bucs vs Dallas Cowboys. Is Dak Prescott fully recovered, or will the Bucs' pass rush make his life miserable? Can the Bucs repeat? Brady was the last one to do it, but that was 'way back in 2003 and 2004. The NFL gave them (and Dallas) the gift of an extra week off this year. Based on the many injuries we saw in all sports last year, that's a strong positive.

A few rule changes - notably, quite a few players have changed jersey #s, so don't assume your fav pro is still wearing the same # as last year, LOL - and hopefully, fewer holding calls will make the games go quicker.

Note also the NFL is pushing fans to start streaming games. Fox/Amazon Prime will carry ONLY 11 of the 19 Thurs Nite games for 2021-2. NFL network will show all 19 games. The full schedule of games is here: 2021-2 Thursday Night Football schedule.

Starting next year (2022 season) Thursday games will be shown ONLY on NFL network and Amazon Prime video streaming. Fox will no longer carry the Thursday games.

This article below is completely free access, and is an entertaining summary of what various sportswriters' "best guesses" are as to who will win the various awards, their respective divisions and eventually, the Super Bowl. It's a bit long, so please access via the link.

NFL 2021 predictions: who is capable of stopping Mahomes and the Chiefs this season?
The NFL kicks off on Thursday. Will Kansas City steamroller the league? Which of the rookies will shine? And who will win MVP?
London Guardian U.S. 09Sept2021
Free access article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...f-stopping-mahomes-and-the-chiefs-this-season

x11.jpg
L–R, Top–Bottom: Aaron Donald, Patrick Mahomes, DeAndre Hopkins; Tom Brady, Derrick Henry and Aaron Rodgers are just some of the players who will make a splash this season. Composite: Getty Images

Is Dak Prescott fully recovered...

Oh, I hope so! Love the guy so much that I'm almost scared to watch in case he struggles.

Want to see lots of these reactions!

iu

image.jpg

Not a fan of the sport, but I live in Bills country. They open on Sunday. I heard on the local news that the Stadium has been hit by the hiring crunch too....hard to find employees this year.
They have been getting better every year, with Josh Allen, and the new coach. So...this MAY be the year.

This season is shaping up to be pretty exciting. Quite a few Divisions up for grabs.
The game tonight is a 'must watch' IMO, great match-up and it's the start of the season.
Titans meet up with the Colts in week 3, that should tell a lot about our season.

Wife is already talking about how the 49ers will surprise people this year.
She continues to be a fan even after her cousin stopping playing and coaching for them.
I'm just glad we are not in the same Division, so we can enjoy watching each others games.

Again, thanks for your time in the coverage of the sport.

WHAT ,! NO ENGLISH FOOTBALL.? ....😂

You mean the kind that *gasp* ...actually entails contact with feet and ball in all phases of the game? :ROFLMAO:

American football should be called something like "gridiron chess" ...the coaches pick the player chess pieces for strategy, train them for several options to play the strategic roles (in order to 'trick' the opposing side into a weak response to the moves) and hope they execute them well during the game.

Last edited:
Cowboy fans have snacks and crying towel ready.
However, they have a history of giving the high-flying teams a run for their money.
They can score points, but they cannot stop other teams from out scoring them.

Cowboys will win conference and win some games in playoffs, unless they run into Aaron Rodgers, the Cowboy killer, on first round.

Interested in what Cleveland will do this year, boy that is a tough division.

WHAT ,! NO ENGLISH FOOTBALL.? ....😂
The thread says no other sports please. But American football is a misnomer, football (there's a clue in the name,) is not soccer.
So where did soccer come from? While Americans were turning a team game into a blood sport, on the other side of the pond, one, William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it. He didn't break any rules but the football purists didn't like it, so, given that Ellis was attending the Rugby School at the time, that version of football became known as Rugby Football, whilst the other version became known as Associated football. The abbreviation for associated is: Assoc. Hence, soccer.

The crazy thing about American Football, apart from throwing the ball, is that the great republic, where even the head honcho president is no more than a Mr. American footballs all had “The Duke” emblazoned on the side of each and every NFL game ball. Another less known fact is that the average life expectancy or lifespan of an American football NFL player has been reported to be extremely low, only 53 to 59 years depending on playing position. Good grief, even Roman gladiators could expect more, as long as it didn't go to their head.

I am a big fan of the game. I expect Dallas to lose tonight. No tears from me. On the other hand, I am no fan of Tampa or Tom Brady, so tonight's game will not get me too excited.
HOWEVER, any pro football is better than no pro football.

I am curious to see how the New Orleans Saints will make out now that Drew Brees is gone. They may or may not make it back to the playoffs but I'll be cheering for them.

As far as soccer is concerned, I'd rather watch paint dry than watch ANY soccer game.

Another less known fact is that the average life expectancy or lifespan of an American football NFL player has been reported to be extremely low, only 53 to 59 years depending on playing position. Good grief, even Roman gladiators could expect more, as long as it didn't go to their head.
Historically, men have always been employed in extremely dangerous occupations. Nothing new there.
Structural iron and steel workers
Loggers
Professional fishermen
Miners
Agricultural workers.
Professional drivers
The list is nearly endless. Someone must build our world, and men pay the heaviest price.
As far as football players are concerned, yes, their bodies often suffer tremendous punishment. But that is part and parcel of being a man.
As a side note: anthropologists have noted that Neanderthals typically show numerous healed broken bones. Neanderthals always got in close with large, dangerous, wild animals. When comparing Neanderthals to modern man, anthropologists noted that only rodeo riders suffer as many broken bones.
It's in our DNA to be combatants and take on the most dangerous jobs.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the sport, but I live in Bills country. They open on Sunday. I heard on the local news that the Stadium has been hit by the hiring crunch too....hard to find employees this year.
They have been getting better every year, with Josh Allen, and the new coach. So...this MAY be the year.

Josh Allen was extremely impressive in his rookie season. Here's hoping the sophomore jinx doesn't hit him!

Part of the fun of the football season is a fans touting their team; and others telling them: 'your team is made up of bums.'

SF has Cleveland fans, Kc, Colts, Buffalo, Houston, SF and Dallas fans; I'm sure there are other teams mentioned, but I can't recall...

Part of the fun is Poo Hawing the fan of another team, when that team is playing your favorite.
Fortunately, the NFC-East has few or zero posting on the the teams withing these conference.
Last years Win-Loss records of this conference leaves the fans with the opinion, "What a bunch of Bums.'"

(There have been one or two post regarding the Eagles and Giants which i have not mentioned as they were in error.
Yes, I'm seeking a word battle about the merits of the members within the NFC-East)

If Teddy Bridgewater is consistent, the Broncos have a pretty good chance of making the playoffs. He's a damn good quarterback... very accurate and has a good feel for where to go when the pocket breaks down, which is what Drew Lock lacks. The Broncos' defense is ranked 4th in the league, so all in all, they should be a good team.

Last edited:
@jerry old Since you overlooked my Titans, a quick video..
I did, but rock'um-sock'um in the playoffs: I had forgotten how much they played like Pittsburgh or Ravens

Tom Brady and his henchmen won; i guess they should have.
Gronk too big, too smart, bad Gronk.

It was a good game, Dallas did not quit, so that was something.
You should not lose with four turnovers!

Last edited:
I watched a few minutes but decided I didn't care who won, so I turned it off and read a bit instead.

I tend to be inclined to "root" for a team from a city that I like, and although I've never been to Tampa Bay, I'm not a big fan of Florida right now, so I don't want their teams to win. I know that's kind of an irrational rationale. I'm not a big fan of Texas, either. I've lived in both states — in Florida for a year during my late teens and Texas during most of my 20s. Both have their good and their bad.

I have no desire to visit Texas ever again, but I would like to take a vacation in Florida. There's a lot to do and see down there, and I guess, considering the heat and humidity — actually, in both states — I can understand why they don't want a mask mandate. That would be sweaty and immensely annoying — especially on top of the climate. Both states have incredible storms. Here in Colorado it's just one sunny day after another. :ROFLMAO:

If I have a choice, I would rather go to games rather than watch them on TV.
I realize all the negative points of sitting in a stadium full of people, the cost of tickets, the price of drink/food,
parking, etc.
Still go to every game I can; just something about being with other fans and the total atmosphere.
This was on the 'plus' side of our decision list to move here, that and the music concerts.

Guess we are social creatures and why we worked so hard to enjoy our retirement.

True, few masks at the stadiums, but most have good ventilation and that's one of the keys. Now, inside a crowded bar (at the stadium or elsewhere), that may be another matter. But that's a topic for the Coronavirus COVID thread, please. Fans of all sports are trying hard to pretend this is 'just another season', LOL!

Here's the NYTimes Week 1 predictions:
NFL Week 1 Predictions: Our Picks Against the Spread - Pt 1 of 2 posts
Dueling Alabama QBs and a rematch of January’s Browns-Chiefs playoff game make for a compelling start to the regular season.
NY Times, Updated Sept. 10, 2021

Here’s a look at Week 1, with all picks made against the spread by Emmanuel Morgan, the new columnist who takes over the duty for the 2021 season.

Thursday’s Game: Buccaneers 31, Cowboys 29
We picked the Bucs, expecting a shootout but thought the Cowboys D wouldn’t be ready vs a seasoned TBay crew with all 22 starters from their SB win. Prescott found himself dodging the Buccaneers pass rush often Thursday, but he threw for 403 yds and three TDs in a loss.

It took a classic Brady drive in the final 1:22 for TBay to seal the win. If Cowboys kicker Greg Zuerlein had not missed two FGs, the game could have gone the other way.

Sunday’s Best Games

Cleveland Browns at KC, 4:25 p.m., CBS

Winner: Chiefs

A rematch of last yr’s AFC divisional playoff gives new players on Cleveland and KC the opportunity to show their value. DE Jadeveon Clowney, a three-time Pro Bowl selection who is playing for his fourth team in four years, will try to pressure Patrick Mahomes. KC’s upgraded OL - it has five new projected starters, including tackle Orlando Brown and guard Joe Thuney - looks to prevent jarring hits like the one in last yr’s playoff game that sent Mahomes into the concussion protocol.

Odell Beckham Jr.’s return from a knee injury will give KC’s defense another threat to account for. But if Mahomes is well protected, it will be risky to bet against him.

GBay Packers at New Orleans Saints (kinda), 4:25 p.m., Fox
Winner: Packers
Hurricane Ida caused this game to be relocated to Jacksonville FL. The Packers and a disgruntled Aaron Rodgers finally settled their differences for perhaps one final try at a Super Bowl. The Saints, who have operated in Texas since late August, begin the post-Drew Brees era with Jameis Winston at QB. His test will be finding targets to carry the load of Michael Thomas, the team’s top receiver who is out for six weeks after having foot surgery in the off-season. The Packers have had roster continuity, giving Rodgers even more of an edge.

Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo Bills, 1 p.m., CBS
Winner: Bills
The Steelers deteriorated toward the end of last yr, while the Bills improved. Pittsburgh drafted Najee Harris to boost an abysmal rushing attack that netted only 3.6 yds an attempt, ranking last in the league. But QB Josh Allen’s ascent into being one of the league’s best players should continue with Buffalo’s addition of WR Emmanuel Sanders to complement Stefon Diggs, who led the NFL in receiving yds and catches last yr. Bills fans should get their tables ready.

AZ Cardinals at Tennessee Titans, 1 p.m., CBS
Winner: Titans
Julio Jones. Derrick Henry. AJ Brown. The Cardinals’ defense will be the first unit to try to contain this high-powered offense. Will it focus on stopping Henry and creep defenders close to the line of scrimmage? Will it double-team Jones and leave Brown in man coverage? Vice versa? Regardless of the strategy, AZ will do so with a young LB corps and questions at CB after Patrick Peterson departed in free agency and his replacement, Malcolm Butler, retired during training camp. Even with JJ Watt on the edge, countering the Titans’ attack will be more than the Cardinals can handle so early in the season.

Chicago Bears at LA Rams, 8:20 p.m., NBC
Winner: Rams
The Rams and the Bears added veteran QBs in the off-season. LA fans embraced Matthew Stafford as their hope to reach the Super Bowl, while the Bears faithful called unsuccessfully for Andy Dalton to be benched for the rookie Justin Fields. Perhaps Coach Matt Nagy is showing Fields mercy as he starts Dalton against a Rams defense anchored by Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey. That unit led the NFL in nearly every statistical category last yr and, despite losing some free agents, there is enough talent to frustrate Dalton in prime time.

Seattle Seahawks at Indianapolis Colts, 1 p.m., Fox
Winner: Seahawks
The Colts hoped new scenery would resurrect the 2017 version of Carson Wentz, who helped lead the Eagles in the regular season on a run to a title. But a foot injury and a stint on the Covid list robbed him of valuable training camp reps with his new teammates. He’ll face a Seahawks defense that surrendered the second-most passing yds in the league to opposing teams last yr but hopes LB Bobby Wagner and safety Jamal Adams can turn the unit into a more consistent threat. Adams’s 9.5 sacks last yr were the most ever by a DB.

Seattle will lure opponents into trying to keep up with the scoring pace of Russell Wilson, DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett, as it did last year. Wentz will be the first to find out how much tougher that has become.

Sunday’s Other Games – Pt 2 of 2 posts

LA Chargers at Washington Footballers, 1 p.m., CBS
Winner: Chargers
Oddsmakers predict this will be a tossup because the Chargers enter this season as an unknown under their new coach, Brandon Staley. On paper, the team should improve with QB Justin Herbert, the reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year Award winner; a remodeled OL; and the return of safety Derwin James. But it may take time for the team to fully grasp Staley’s system and for the OL to jell. Blocking Washington’s pass rush, led by Chase Young, last yr’s Defensive Rookie of the Year Award winner, is a tough first task.

Philadelphia Eagles at Atlanta Falcons, 1 p.m., Fox
Winner: Falcons
The Eagles placed their faith in Jalen Hurts when they traded Carson Wentz to the Colts, and selected his former Alabama teammate DeVonta Smith in the first round of the draft to boost an unproductive receiving corps. They’ll relish going up against a Falcons defense that allowed the most passing yds in the league last yr.

Atlanta focused on improving its offense in the draft, selecting #4 pick TE Kyle Pitts, and it’s possible that could carry the Falcons in this game. But it is also possible that Philadelphia can upset a team that is somewhere between rebuilding and contending.

Minnesota Vikings at Cincinnati Bengals, 1 p.m., Fox
Winner: Vikings
The Bengals elected to reunite QB Joe Burrow with his Louisiana State teammate receiver Ja’Marr Chase in the draft rather than pick up an OL man to protect him as he returns from major knee surgery. Chase caught only one of five targets in the preseason; the rookie attributed the drops to a lack of concentration. That excuse makes sense with Chase adjusting to playing again after opting out of the 2020 college football season. But his acclimation to the NFL intensifies against a secondary which now includes CB Patrick Peterson, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection.

SF 49ers at Detroit Lions, 1 p.m., Fox
Winner: 49ers
It’s full rebuild mode in Detroit where the team’s new coach, Dan Campbell, helms a D that ranked last in yds allowed last yr. He needs to restore the confidence of Jared Goff, 26, a franchise QB the Rams sent packing in the off-season.

That fledgling experiment will be fodder for the 49ers’ elite motion-based rush and a SF defense sharpening its teeth after being wiped out by injuries last yr. Coach Kyle Shanahan has elected to start Jimmy Garoppolo over rookie Trey Lance, but either QB could win this one.

Jets at Carolina Panthers, 1 p.m., CBS
Winner: Panthers
Sam Darnold gets an early opportunity to show his former team what he could have been with quality coaching and a consistent receiver. Rusher Christian McCaffrey is back after missing much of the 2020 season with various injuries, and Darnold has one of the league’s most underrated receiving duos in DJ Moore and Robby Anderson, both 1K yarders last yr. Zach Wilson, drafted as the Jets #2 pick to replace Darnold, has his work cut out for him.

Miami Dolphins at NE Patriots, 4:25 p.m., CBS
Winner: Patriots
The Dolphins added receiving threats in Will Fuller V and Jaylen Waddle to help second-year QB Tua Tagovailoa’s development as a downfield passer. But that may not be evident in his first game this season against the Patriots, as Coach Bill Belichick will surely try to confuse the young passer.

Tagovailoa faces his Alabama successor Mac Jones, who so impressed NE coaching staff with his ability to process information before and after the snap, tht they released Cam Newton at the end of camp. Jones will need that savvy against Miami’s aggressive defense.

Jacksonville Jaguars at Houston Texans, 1 p.m., CBS
Winner: Jaguars
The Texans officially named vet journeyman Tyrod Taylor as starting QB, relegating Deshaun Watson to the bench. Their cloudy QB situation contrasts with Jacksonville’s. The Jaguars’ optimism over Trevor Lawrence, the #1 draft pick, is high. The buzz surrounding him and rookie NFL coach Urban Meyer should pick up even more after they face a Houston defense that ranked 30th in yds allowed last yr and got worse after releasing JJ Watt.

Denver Broncos at Giants, 4:25 p.m., Fox
Winner: Broncos
The Giants’ assessment of Daniel Jones as the franchise’s future gets real insight as he faces a Broncos defense rife with talent. LB Von Miller returns from an ankle injury that sidelined him last yr, and his presence could disrupt Jones from finding new teammates like receiver Kenny Golladay and TE Kyle Rudolph. Those additions, along with Pro Bowl RB Saquon Barkley’s returning to the lineup, should help the third-year starting QB as the season progresses. But against the Broncos’ defense, which should be on the field less because of the risk-averse play of Teddy Bridgewater, it may not be enough.

Monday’s Matchup

Baltimore Ravens at Las Vegas Raiders, 8:15 p.m., ESPN & ABC

Winner: Ravens
The Ravens lost depth at RB when starter J.K. Dobbins and reserve Justice Hill both sustained season-ending injuries in training camp. But QB Lamar Jackson still commands respect as a runner and passer. Monday provides him and the team an opportunity to showcase the evolution of their scheme with the addition of veteran receiver Sammy Watkins. Las Vegas gave up 389 yds a game last yr, ranking 30th in the league. The unit hopes to have improved under new DC Gus Bradley and DL Yannick Ngakoue, but the Ravens’ experience should give them an edge.

Back