2021 NHRA Fuelers and Funnies

My absolute favorite funny car. (well, technically A/FX) was The altered wheelbase Pontiac in 1964. (y)
The wheelbases were changed to assist traction for the narrow (7 in (180 mm)-wide) slicks (required by NHRA rules), while keeping the mandatory factory distance between axle centers. Because of these many obvious modifications they did not look stock, hence the name "funny".

Arnie The Farmer Beswick Tempest Tameless Tiger3.JPG

My absolute favorite funny car. (well, technically A/FX) was The altered wheelbase Pontiac in 1964. (y)
The wheelbases were changed to assist traction for the narrow (7 in (180 mm)-wide) slicks (required by NHRA rules), while keeping the mandatory factory distance between axle centers. Because of these many obvious modifications they did not look stock, hence the name "funny".

View attachment 185203

I always loved the wrinkle of the slicks on the green.

View attachment 185203
I remember him but not this ride but he was popular in my day. I think he was Pontiac all the way.

I like the Funny Cars and Fuelers. My favorites include Bill “Grumpy” Jenkins, Don “The Snake” Prudhome, “Big Daddy” Don Garlits, Tommy Ivo and Bruce Larson.

I remember watching Ivo driving his 4-engine Buick Sportswagon and Larson’s 4000 hp funny car. He designed and built this engine. Aluminum block and burns alcohol and nitro. Bruce lives nearby and I have stopped by his garage several times, but not much since COVID. He has a habit of closing his garage two days before he races. Grumpy died about 10 years ago. The last I knew, Ivo was still in California and I lost track of “Snake.” Jenkins lived in Easton, PA prior to his death. In case anyone’s interested, I thought I would throw this information in.

I like the Funny Cars and Fuelers. My favorites include Bill “Grumpy” Jenkins, Don “The Snake” Prudhome, “Big Daddy” Don Garlits, Tommy Ivo and Bruce Larson.

I remember watching Ivo driving his 4-engine Buick Sportswagon and Larson’s 4000 hp funny car. He designed and built this engine. Aluminum block and burns alcohol and nitro. Bruce lives nearby and I have stopped by his garage several times, but not much since COVID. He has a habit of closing his garage two days before he races. Grumpy died about 10 years ago. The last I knew, Ivo was still in California and I lost track of “Snake.” Jenkins lived in Easton, PA prior to his death. In case anyone’s interested, I thought I would throw this information in.
Never could decide which color version of the "Wagon Master" I liked the best. :) Nothing like watching him boil the tires for the entire quarter mile. (y)

wagon master in black.jpg wagon master 2.jpg wagon master.jpg

Back