4 phases of retirement (TEDx Talk)

NorthernLight

I made it to Stage 3-ish. I tried to get things going, and it was a lot of work with little reward. (Just like pre-retirement!) Feeling cynical and frustrated about volunteer work and so on.

I feel like I'm reverting to Stage 2 now.

Excellent TedTalk. Thanks for posting it up.

Floundering and flopping about in Phase 3 here. Don't feel I'll revert back to Phase 2. Not yet ready for the leap to Phase 4.

Hang in there, kiddo Northern Light. Like the speaker says regarding Phase 2, "Buckle Up." Yeah, been there. Done that. Not going back. Thinking you don't want to either.

Is there a library in your town? Where you can gather like individuals and perhaps summon up ideas to launch your own Phase 4?

Almost immediately upon entering Phase 1 of my retirement, my mother passed. My father had already passed, so mom was the last of my immediate family. Shortly thereafter - a year - cancer took my wife. Cast adrift, I was more-or-less flushed into Phase 2.

Birding as a hobby helped me reach the Stage 3 plateau. Relaxing and yet challenging. Something that can be done equally at home or in the field. By yourself or in a group.

So, yeah, buckle up. Thinking you're up to the challenges, though. Hang in there.

Cheers and best regards. Arnold

Back