40 Colorized Photos Show What Life of the U.S. Looked Like in the 1930s and ’40s

@hollydolly that is amazing. The color adds so much. I wish I could add some color to my old photos of my family from that time period.
well there's a few colourising websites out there, some are not good, but others aren't so bad...

I just tested this old family photo of my brother and me from 63 years ago.. I was 3 , he was 2 years old..and it's come out looking not bad...

Alandme2-1958colorized-HD.jpg

try yours here @Ruth n Jersey https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/02...hotos-automatically-with-myheritage-in-color/

Last edited:
And hats! Men in those decades wouldn’t have dreamed about going about in public without a hat or cap. Why, you wouldn’t have been considered fully dressed! At least it didn’t matter what your hair looked like, as a hat largely covered it…

A2A2C224-E0A6-4FD4-AF1C-65A5CDD2F9C3.jpeg

Last edited:
As Buckeye said, everyone was thin. Urban people dressed as well as they could. What strikes me is how hard things look for farmers, mill workers and others. We shouldn't underestimate how tough things were for people, especially in the 30s.

And hats! Men in those decades wouldn’t have dreamed about going about in public without a hat or cap. Why, you wouldn’t have been considered fully dressed! At least it didn’t matter what your hair looked like, as a hat largely covered it…

View attachment 187322
very true... but when hats went out of fashion the hat makers loss were the Barbers gain...

Here's a famous picture of a depression era mother and children. Reminds me of a book by Studs Turkel titled "Hard Times".

Migrant Mother

Back