80 Year Old Store Owner Shoots Armed Robber

win231

SF VIP
A man armed with what looked like an assault rifle was no match for the owner of a Riverside County convenience store, and the frightening face off was all caught on the store's security cameras.

"It's not his first rodeo," said a woman named Marnie, who works for the store's owner, 80-year-old Craig Cope. "He saw on the surveillance, he saw them coming out of the vehicle with weapons."

The attempted robbery happened at around 2:45 a.m. Sunday.

When Cope saw the would-be robbers entering the store, he whipped out a shotgun strategically placed behind the counter and shot one suspect in the arm.

As the robbery suspect retreated, security cameras also captured him running back to a vehicle outside.
"He shot my arm off, he shot my arm off," he can be heard screaming.

unfortunately this is playing out all over the country .........
victims of crime or possible crime Having to start defending themselves ...... I hope all victims prevail but i know some will suffer injury etc....
media coverage is not covering very well either ..... I heard of a couple stories and had to search for the coverage of them

IL 13 yr old shot trying to carjack someone ..... Chicago transit has had numerous ... crimes and victims have began carrying knives for defense a 15 yr old stabbed to death trying to rob someone.... no less then 6 teens from 12-15 arrested in a car jacking ring in PA...

My question is where are the parents and did they know what their child was up to.... or perhaps they were the adults planning the thefts..

Last edited:
Oh Dear! Here in Canada, things like this would not be allowed. Our "powers that be" look on criminals as "poor misunderstood people" They just need some Tender loving care and deep down they are really great people. Often our criminals get away with a friendly slap on the wrist. It's the Canadian Way!

Now, if you asked me, I would say that I would love to buy that 80 year old store keeper a nice cold beer for the good deed that he did in "Crime Prevention."

Oh Dear! Here in Canada, things like this would not be allowed. Our "powers that be" look on criminals as "poor misunderstood people" They just need some Tender loving care and deep down they are really great people. Often our criminals get away with a friendly slap on the wrist. It's the Canadian Way!

Now, if you asked me, I would say that I would love to buy that 80 year old store keeper a nice cold beer for the good deed that he did in "Crime Prevention."
That is what has been pushed on US too It is now backfiring badly ...................as the explosion of crime with no consequences ............ has now gotten everyone READY to protect themselves.

I'd buy the store keeper anything he wanted - AFTER I bought him the "Proper" shotgun ammo & the proper gauge - which is 12.
At the distance involved, 000 Buckshot would be far more effective & it would have been the thug's final crime.

I was walking this weekend on an Urban trail built for walkers/ runners/bikes etc .......
taken over by homeless and criminals it seems ...... open along trail people preparing drugs to shoot up or open sales ...

i do not usually go unless i see a few others on it made the mistake of going anyway ....
one person on a bmx style bike rode by me then stopped on part of trail a bit secluded i turned around began walking the other way here comes bike #2 talking on Cell phones .........and slowly closing in................... i came to a part where some houses can see trail has a cyclone fence they were far enough away they could not see my ruse
but i waved enthusiastically and yelled "Hi Carol be right over ..." NO ONE WAS THERE but they did not see that.
they looked at each other and rode off..... they HAD plans ........do not know what they wanted only had my cell phone on me no money..... came home and husband had me fill out a concealed carry application .......... until that comes through if i go again i will have a knife.

If situation came up again i will defend myself and refuse to give up parks and trails or even parking lots to THUGS.......

Last edited:
I was walking this weekend on an Urban trail built for walkers/ runners/bikes etc .......
taken over by homeless and criminals it seems ...... open along trail people preparing drugs to shoot up or open sales ...

i do not usually go unless i see a few others on it made the mistake of going anyway ....
one person on a bmx style bike rode by me then stopped on part of trail a bit secluded i turned around began walking the other way here comes bike #2 talking on Cell phones .........and slowly closing in................... i came to a part where some houses can see trail has a cyclone fence they were far enough away they could not see my ruse
but i waved enthusiastically and yelled "Hi Carol be right over ..." NO ONE WAS THERE but they did not see that.
they looked at each other and rode off..... then HAD plans ........do not know what they wanted only had my cell phone on me no money..... came home and husband had me fill out a concealed carry application .......... until that comes through if i go again i will have a knife.

If situation came up again i will defend myself and refuse to give up parks and trails or even parking lots to THUGS.......
With or without a weapon, I avoid situations that can end with me having to use deadly force to survive.
I changed my walking location last year for the reason you describe. I don't go out after dark unless it's an emergency; it's just not worth it.

With or without a weapon, I avoid situations that can end with me having to use deadly force to survive.
I changed my walking location last year for the reason you describe. I don't go out after dark unless it's an emergency; it's just not worth it.
first time i have felt any danger although I am aware of the nearby situations .... it has just escalated lately
open drug use on side of street .... and crazy people yelling at themselves ... a much larger city south of mine ... are fixing their huge homeless population by trucking them here ..... now we have the nightmare that killed business and tourism in that city......

same here... and much as I and most decent thinking people would applaud the shop owners' right to shoot this guy.. the British Court system wouldn't see it the same way.. and even if the robber was arrested there's a pretty good chance that the shop owner would get a worse punishment than the innocent old man .. it's happened here on several occasions where elderly home owners have shot armed intruders, and the punishment was worse for the innocent party

Last edited:
same here... and much as I and most decent thinking people would applaud the shop owners' right to shoot this guy.. the British Court system wouldn't see it the same way.. and even if the robber was arrested there's a pretty good chance that the shop owner would get a worse punsihment than the innocent old man .. it's happened here on sevral occasions where elderly home owners have shot armed intruders, and the punishment was worse for the innocent party
Not here .... every victim they have tried to charge it usually backfires in the prosecutions face and juries would side with shopkeeper/ homeowner for defending themselves....
so often a waste of time and money to try to charge a crime victim for self defense.
my hope is most are practicing and if they only get one shot off they make it count .......

As for those who side with the thief perhaps criminals .... should look into the risks associated with their CHOSEN "profession "....

That is what has been pushed on US too It is now backfiring badly ...................as the explosion of crime with no consequences ............ has now gotten everyone READY to protect themselves.
this is the concern we're having in the UK now simply because so many criminals are being namby pambied by the justice system.. there's no incentive to not commit crime... Example today.. somewhere in the UK.. a 54 year old mother was stabbed by her adult son over 80 times.. he plead diminished responsibility due to autism.. and got sentenced to 6 years... .. ridiculous!!

Not here .... every victim they have tried to charge it usually backfires in the prosecutions face and juries would side with shopkeeper/ homeowner for defending themselves....
so often a waste of time and money to try to charge a crime victim for self defense.
my hope is most are practicing and if they only get one shot off they make it count .......

As for those who side with the thief perhaps criminals .... should look into the risks associated with their CHOSEN "profession "....
this is what the British people have been campaigning for ..for many years.. but it's more common for the courts to side with the criminal than the victim..so much so that a huge percentage of people who are victims of some kind of crime don't even bother reporting it to the Police, because they know it will be a waste of time

this is what the British people have been campaigning for ..for many years.. but it's more common for the courts to side with the criminal than the victim..so much so that a huge percentage of people who are victims of some kind of crime don't even bother reporting it to the Police, because they know it will be a waste of time
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2002/jul/05/hospitals.mentalhealth

The mentally ill man who broke into former Beatle George Harrison's mansion, attacked him with a table lamp and repeatedly stabbed him with a knife, was released from a secure hospital yesterday.
Michael Abram, who suffers from schizophrenia, was allowed out of the Scott Clinic in Rainhill, Merseyside, after a mental health review tribunal, presided over by a judge and involving an independent psychiatrist, agreed he was well enough to be released into the community.

It is understood the 36-year-old will now live in a hostel with support from a psychiatrist, nurse and social worker.
He was cleared of the attempted murder of Harrison and his wife Olivia at their home in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, in December 1999, on grounds of insanity. In November 2000, the trial judge at Oxford crown court ordered Abram to be detained at a secure hospital without time restriction.

The mentally ill man who broke into former Beatle George Harrison's mansion, attacked him with a table lamp and repeatedly stabbed him with a knife, was released from a secure hospital yesterday.
Michael Abram, who suffers from schizophrenia, was allowed out of the Scott Clinic in Rainhill, Merseyside, after a mental health review tribunal, presided over by a judge and involving an independent psychiatrist, agreed he was well enough to be released into the community.

It is understood the 36-year-old will now live in a hostel with support from a psychiatrist, nurse and social worker.
He was cleared of the attempted murder of Harrison and his wife Olivia at their home in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, in December 1999, on grounds of insanity. In November 2000, the trial judge at Oxford crown court ordered Abram to be detained at a secure hospital without time restriction.
See, care in the bluuddy community which essentially means the govt or health service won't pay for the care of someone who is a danger to people in the community.. and we're then all at risk....then when he attacks again as they always do.. the same old ''lessons have been learned'' phrase is trotted out...

Last edited:

A mistake IMO!

A man armed with what looked like an assault rifle was no match for the owner of a Riverside County convenience store, and the frightening face off was all caught on the store's security cameras.

"It's not his first rodeo," said a woman named Marnie, who works for the store's owner, 80-year-old Craig Cope. "He saw on the surveillance, he saw them coming out of the vehicle with weapons."

When Cope saw the would-be robbers entering the store, he whipped out a shotgun strategically placed behind the counter and shot one suspect in the arm.

As the robbery suspect retreated, security cameras also captured him running back to a vehicle outside.

The bad guy of his own free will chose being a criminal as an occupation and the way I see it having your arm shot off is just an occupational hazard in his line of work.

To the 80 year old store owner.......

th.jpg

Does say a lot for wanting the M'Naghten Rule, doesn't it?

The first I heard of things going in the wrong direction- I think I've mentioned this here on forum before- was when a 14-year-old schoolgirl took a knife from her kitchen, met up with her 17-year-old boyfriend, and stabbed him nearly two dozen times, and was "sentenced" to 5 years of outpatient "therapy." Deemed 'not responsible.. by reason of mental disease or defect..' :mad:

I heard she later did a period of time in a mental hospital, but I don't have the details.

Well, it shouldn't come to that, and innocent people could get injured or killed, but otherwise I'd say "Right on, Mr. Cope!" (y)

same here... and much as I and most decent thinking people would applaud the shop owners' right to shoot this guy.. the British Court system wouldn't see it the same way.. and even if the robber was arrested there's a pretty good chance that the shop owner would get a worse punishment than the innocent old man .. it's happened here on several occasions where elderly home owners have shot armed intruders, and the punishment was worse for the innocent party
Right you are hollydolly. My late wife, who lived 20 years in Cornwall, told me pretty well the same thing. I guess the justice system in the UK and Canada are similiar. They both love the criminals and punish those who the criminals steal from. If you ask me, that is a pretty stupid way of thinking.

Back