A “sufficient” wardrobe consists of 74 garments and 20 outfits in total

Does yours?

This is kind of interesting, its based on sustainability. I am sure that I'm well over the 74 garments, mostly because I have a lot of things I never wear and should give or throw away. Not quite sure what a "outfit" would be, maybe its a ladies thing.

I think this study was funded by the United Nations...

How to make your wardrobe sustainable​

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230502-how-to-make-your-wardrobe-sustainable

I have very many over 74 garments ( not counting underwear or socks of course).... and this is with me giving regular monthly clothing and shoe donations to Charity...

The year before my husband left , I got 2 large shop rails, and transferred everything I own onto them.. each rail held one hundred items..(including jackets and coats)... I was able to see exactly what needed to be culled.. ..and was able to donate at least a quarter at that time.. since then many more of those items have gone, but naturally they've been replaced by new.

Does yours?

This is kind of interesting, its based on sustainability. I am sure that I'm well over the 74 garments, mostly because I have a lot of things I never wear and should give or throw away. Not quite sure what a "outfit" would be, maybe its a ladies thing.

I think this study was funded by the United Nations...

How to make your wardrobe sustainable​

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230502-how-to-make-your-wardrobe-sustainable

I can safely say that I don’t have any clothes as seen in the image on that webpage, nor some of the things mentioned in the article, leggings for example, or any “camisoles hanging under shirts” for that matter. I don’t even know what that means. :D

And as far as my girlfriend was concerned, I would get a cold stare if I even did so much as look at the doors on her wardrobe.

I’m sure there are some things I should donate to charity from mine though.

Can someone in the know quietly whisper in my ear and tell me what a “de-pilling comb” is, as mentined in the article? It sounds too much like it could be a medical term for all I know. I don’t want to embarrass myself.

Last edited:
Rob..you look shocked lol... that wasnt counting my T-shirts.. which all live folded in a drawer. there's more than 50 but please believe me when I tell you everything I donate is in perfect condition. I don't give manky old stuff to the charities like many people do.. old, faded, buttons missing .. 20 years out of date.. so I feel that altho' I have a passion for clothes, I'm providing clothing for many more people every month at a vastly reduced cost...and the recipients of the charities gain also..

Not sure how much I have, but it's less than 100. For the past several years at the beginning of each season, I've been getting rid of things that don't fit or I just won't wear anymore. I have a few nice pieces for important things, everyday clothes & outside work clothes. The work clothes are mostly "retired" everyday clothes. I've only been buying what needs to be replaced.

I started to use this website when I began cleaning out my & my husbands closets: https://classyyettrendy.com/

The amount of items of clothing I own would depend on whether you count the stuff that is hanging in the back of the closet that are "I-can't-wear-them-right-now-but-if-I-lose-10-pounds-I-can-wear-them-so-I-can't-give-them-away-because-for-sure-I'm-going-to-lose-that-10-pounds-THIS-time" and the boxes of stuff that are stored in the back of the closet because "I-can't-wear-them-in-the-forseeable-future-unless-I-lose-20/30/40-pounds-and-I-know-there's-not-a-chance-I'm-going-to-lose-THAT-much-weight-BUT-BUT-BUT-I-REALLY-LIKE-those-clothes".

Add those to the shoes that are clogging up the shoe rack because they are too tight and uncomfortable but "THEY'RE SO DARNED C-U-T-E!!!" so I can't get rid of them either even though I know my feet aren't going to get any smaller.

What's left? Stretchy jeans, baggy shorts, lots of blue t-shirts and a dress I wear once a year whenever someone gets married or dies.

manky old stuff
Probably how you'd describe my wardrobe...
20 years out of date..
Don't how how I could tell if something was out of date. If it fits and isn't worn out I wear it. Still wearing some of the clothes I inherited from my Grandfather, he died in 1984... and they weren't new to him.

Just counted. It's easy for me because everything, except socks and undies, hangs up, even t-shirts and pajamas. We don't have a chest or bureau. I have 25 garments plus 14 socks and undies that are on a wire shelf rack in the closet. One purse, 4 pair shoes.

I have donated many of clothes over the last few years (the most during the height of the pandemic) but I am very sure I have in excess of the 74 "outfits" as I rotate my seasonal clothing and they are stored in my younger sons bedroom closet. He doesn't have many clothes (at least quite a few that don't fit anymore). We will not have a discussion about my older son's clothing as he will not get rid of graphic t-shirts that he has outgrown. Every season I try on my seasonal clothing and if it doesn't feel comfortable or doesn't fit - it is sent to the Thrift Store.

The amount of items of clothing I own would depend on whether you count the stuff that is hanging in the back of the closet that are "I-can't-wear-them-right-now-but-if-I-lose-10-pounds-I-can-wear-them-so-I-can't-give-them-away-because-for-sure-I'm-going-to-lose-that-10-pounds-THIS-time" and the boxes of stuff that are stored in the back of the closet because "I-can't-wear-them-in-the-forseeable-future-unless-I-lose-20/30/40-pounds-and-I-know-there's-not-a-chance-I'm-going-to-lose-THAT-much-weight-BUT-BUT-BUT-I-REALLY-LIKE-those-clothes".

Add those to the shoes that are clogging up the shoe rack because they are too tight and uncomfortable but "THEY'RE SO DARNED C-U-T-E!!!" so I can't get rid of them either even though I know my feet aren't going to get any smaller.

What's left? Stretchy jeans, baggy shorts, lots of blue t-shirts and a dress I wear once a year whenever someone gets married or dies.
that's definitely me for sure.... ^^^^:D

Doing the seasonal purge today, I packed up lots of great jackets and tops that just don’t fit properly. I actually feel better when my closet is less full.
I think you're right. I was just thinking the other day, that when I was a young mother and wife.. I had relatively few clothes, and through ingenuity and necessity, I managed to always look smartly dressed.. probably more so than I look today when I get a little overwhelmed by the huge amount I have and end up just wearing the same 4 or 5 things...

The problem is that I no longer go out in the evenings.. or even during the day as I did when the O/H was here when we went out every weekend.. so , lots of my lovely clothes go unworn..

Counted mine (didn't include socks - 1 or 2?). Yes I'm under the threshold easily. A neighbor's daughter is an administrator at a large hospital and shops exclusively online for her outfits so naturally most of them never fit properly and she gives them to her mom. She could send them back but that is beneath her so her mom & my granddaughters benefit.

74 items? Pfffftttt.... My grandson has more than 74 items of clothing and he's only 17 months old! Granted, a lot of it has been previously owned and will be passed along when he outgrows it.

Most of my clothing is at least five years old. Some pieces I wear frequently, some only see the light of day for very special occasions like weddings, some get trotted out for lunch with my friends, and still others (like blazers) get pulled into rotation when I need to layer for chilly evenings out.

I thin my wardrobe of extras when my side of the closet gets crowded and donate all that are in good condition.

Back