A Few Thoughts on the Passing of Another Labor Day

My only memory of Labor Day was my first year living on the farm with my grandparents and Grandpa told me he was glad he had me to help him get the work done so he could enjoy most of the day. I always wanted or tried to please my Gramps because he was always so nice to me. He never gave me a job he knew I couldn’t handle. I was only 9 years old when I went to live with them, so some jobs were difficult, like lifting bales of straw to clean some of the stalls. But I got it done.

When I was a kid, Labor Day wasn't something I enjoyed. It only reminded me that shool was starting in a few days.
Now a lot of kids start in August.
I liked starting school at the beginning of fall. I have fond memories of wearing my new plaid dress (from Sears catalog) on the first day. In New England, the weather would be just starting to turn. Soon you'd be crunching colorful leaves while walking to school. Sweater weather!

I enjoyed Labor Day, except for all the at home drinking that went on. Guys get to drinking and then the fireworks snd guns come out. After that, who knows what’s next. One year, a firework landed in a dry field and that started a fire. I forget how many acres burned.

When I was a kid, Labor Day wasn't something I enjoyed. It only reminded me that shool was starting in a few days.
I felt the same way as I always started the day after Labor Day when I was a kid. Even now it's still kind of a "meh" holiday because of that.

I put out the American flag this morning. Then I groomed my plants and swept my front steps. Leaves are just starting to fall.
It is nice out. I get fall fever on days like this even though I know summer is just hiding.

I put out the American flag this morning. Then I groomed my plants and swept my front steps. Leaves are just starting to fall.
It is nice out. I get fall fever on days like this even though I know summer is just hiding.

This year.. this LaborDay weekend has me thinking of Fall for a change. It feels different lately .... something in the air down on the coast.
We lost most of our greenery of the summer months due to extreme heat, so fall foliage it is.

I put a beautiful pumpkin/berry wreath on my front door to welcome in Fall.

I hadn't thought of putting the flag up today, it's pretty windy and on/off rain showery. I'll put up the flag on Monday.

Back