A Fine Thing

Davey Do

Earlier this year, I received recognition and an award for identifying and intervening in a few psych patients' decompensating medical status. These all occurred in about a year's time. At the time of receiving the award, I made mention that medical nurses in general have to deal with similar situations in a single shift. I joked that I was given the award because I was a dumb ol' psych nurse who responded appropriately.

Last night Belinda, my medical nurse wife, had such a situation occur. She had just entered the room of a middle-aged patient admitted to IMU, having come through the ER, for a newly onset Afib. While still behind the curtain, Belinda asked the patient, "So how are you doing?" and the patient's reply was "ack!"

At that moment, Belinda received communication from the monitor tech that it looked like her patient was experiencing Vfib. Belinda communicated back that she was in the room of the patient and to call a code. Belinda initiated CPR, a code was called, the team administered epi x2, gave a shock, and in five minutes was off the floor to ICU.

The patient is sedated and intubated in ICU, but is stable.

Good job, Belinda, for being at the right place at the right time and acting accordingly!

I happen to mention this to Abe, and here's what he said:

abe.gif

That Abe! Never at a loss for words!

Last edited:

Back