A Link Between Pot Use And Mass Shooters/shootings?

WhatInThe

A link between pot use and mass shootings?

https://nypost.com/2019/08/07/the-link-between-pot-and-mass-shootings-may-be-closer-than-we-think/
Cites various studies and statistics. Emphasizes increased mental illness or issues among younger males which can coincide with increased pot use. Correlation not causation I get that but considering many of these shooter/KILLERS had a history of some mental problems, issues etc one has to wonder did how much of role did pot and other drugs including SSRIs play. These killers might have been mixing pot with other drugs prescribed or not, they could've self medicated and since there are some studies linking pot use to schizophrenia wether it exacerbates an existing condition or produces similar symptoms in young users the role of intoxicating drugs should be investigated.

Personally I think pot would have to be variable in a perfect storm of current events, health, social life etc. By itself I don't think it would produce a mass killer. Maybe a violent or angry person but killer?

About the cited article. "Might", "could", "possibly". "can". This is another OMG "pot is bad" piece. It's more biased opinion than accurate facts. I'm tired of the boogy man type of anti-pot misinformation attempts. Study after study has proven that the harmful effects marijuana use are greatly exagerated. No, you will not bludgeon your loved ones to death, and rape the cat after you have a hit of grass.

I've seen both types of pot users. But I don't think it has the calming happy effects for everyone. I've seen people already angry, bitter etc become down right nasty/abrasive on pot. The pot definitely does not calm them. Like many drugs I think simply lowers impulse control. If a person wants to laugh they'll laugh if they want to scream they'll scream. If they don't care they get the stare.

I think pot would have to one of numerous variables in a perfect storm of personal events, health & economic status, current events etc to motivate or enable a person to become violent on a large scale.

Don't overlook the source of this sensationalized article. It comes from a trash tabloid which is generally low on facts and high on opinion. It's published so folks have something to wrap fish in.

I've never quoted my own post before, but I had to chuckle about what is highlighted above. Silly me. Got a contact high.

Marijuana causes all kinds of health issues. This according to the American Lung Association. Take a look at their article on marijuana and long term health effects. Not just on the lungs but cognitive and neurological effects as well. They also talk about compromised immune systems. No thanks! šŸ¤¢

Marijuana probably causes problems, but also, what about all the mind altering drugs we hear so much about? ... cocaine, meth, ecstasy and black tar heroin, and bath salts sold at neighborhood convenience stores . .. all the synthetic stuff..crack cocaine and who knows what all.
Everyday there seems to be a new designer drug out there that kids are messing with.
Their brains have got to be fried.

A much stronger causal link:

A Common Trait Among Mass Killers: Hatred Toward Women
NY Times 10Aug2019

The man who shot nine people to death last weekend in Dayton, Ohio, seethed at female classmates and threatened them with violence.

The man who massacred 49 people in an Orlando nightclub in 2016 beat his wife while she was pregnant, she told authorities.

The man who killed 26 people in a church in Sutherland Springs, Tex., in 2017 had been convicted of domestic violence. His ex-wife said he once told her that he could bury her body where no one would ever find it.

The motivations of men who commit mass shootings are often muddled, complex or unknown. But one common thread that connects many of them ā€” other than access to powerful firearms ā€” is a history of hating women, assaulting wives, girlfriends and female family members, or sharing misogynistic views online, researchers say.

Full article link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/10/us/mass-shootings-misogyny-dayton.html

Marijuana probably causes problems, but also, what about all the mind altering drugs we hear so much about? ... cocaine, meth, ecstasy and black tar heroin, and bath salts sold at neighborhood convenience stores . .. all the synthetic stuff..crack cocaine and who knows what all.
Everyday there seems to be a new designer drug out there that kids are messing with.
Their brains have got to be fried.
I think that was one of the points of the article-more drug use along with mental health issues among today's youth.

A lot of people experiment with drugs or it affects different people differently, especially youth. Throw in all the other variables and/or mindset of a teen or slightly older person pot or most drugs probably don't help.

Brought to you by the same people that still think "Reefer Madness" is a scientific documentary.

They showed that film at the end of school year in both my Junior & Senior years. I suppose they thought we were all going to summer off, then graduation and just get high ?

Now it is said to possibly help in all manner of physical problems ?

I have never known a person smoking marijuana to be violent, unless you try to steal his or her peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But if you spike it with hog tranquilizer (Angel Dust) etc. you just might just get a little crazy :cool:

I have never known a person smoking marijuana to be violent, unless you try to steal his or her peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But if you spike it with hog tranquilizer (Angel Dust) etc. you just might just get a little crazy :cool:

I've always felt / witnessed pot smokers to a pretty laid back group.

I really never have done it myself, but now I really want to. I want to try it for it's said reliving effect on arthritis. It's coming slowly to my area.

I've always felt / witnessed pot smokers to a pretty laid back group.

I really never have done it myself, but now I really want to. I want to try it for it's said reliving effect on arthritis. It's coming slowly to my area.
I don't recommend it as in most states it is against the law. For me I just like a few ice cold cans of beer to relax me. So far not many aches and pains, but you might check out CBD oil.

I don't recommend it as in most states it is against the law. For me I just like a few ice cold cans of beer to relax me. So far not many aches and pains, but you might check out CBD oil.

I have done the CBD oil, and did it for 3 months following instructions completely. I got nothing from it.

It [medicinal pot] is legal in Ohio, but @ this time in limited areas and restrictions applied. As soon as it becomes more 'mainstream' I'll look into it.

About the cited article. "Might", "could", "possibly". "can". This is another OMG "pot is bad" piece. It's more biased opinion than accurate facts. I'm tired of the boogy man type of anti-pot misinformation attempts. Study after study has proven that the harmful effects marijuana use are greatly exagerated. No, you will not bludgeon your loved ones to death, and rape the cat after you have a hit of grass.
Click bait.

A much stronger causal link:

A Common Trait Among Mass Killers: Hatred Toward Women
NY Times 10Aug2019

The man who shot nine people to death last weekend in Dayton, Ohio, seethed at female classmates and threatened them with violence.

The man who massacred 49 people in an Orlando nightclub in 2016 beat his wife while she was pregnant, she told authorities.

The man who killed 26 people in a church in Sutherland Springs, Tex., in 2017 had been convicted of domestic violence. His ex-wife said he once told her that he could bury her body where no one would ever find it.

The motivations of men who commit mass shootings are often muddled, complex or unknown. But one common thread that connects many of them ā€” other than access to powerful firearms ā€” is a history of hating women, assaulting wives, girlfriends and female family members, or sharing misogynistic views online, researchers say.

Full article link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/10/us/mass-shootings-misogyny-dayton.html
The Newton CT child school murderer killed his mother first.

I think depends on the personality. I've known people very angry or aggressive people and pot did not/does not calm them. They went from moody, awnry etc to blatantly nasty & abrasive . Anything I've heard about most drugs is that it lowers inhibition and impulse control. So if a person is laid back and care free(not a contrived act for peers) that's probably how pot or other drugs will affect them. If a person is normally nasty moody the beast is that much closer to coming out.

With pot in the case of many young killer/shooters they tend to be disgruntled males where pot and other drugs will not get rid of long standing resentments, beliefs, attitudes etc partly because they have become ingrained and/or reinforced over time.

I think it's much too easy to draw conclusions that one thing causes another, just because those two things coexist. A murderous psychopath smokes pot? People jump to the conclusion that there is a causative factor there. It would be just as easy to say he smokes regular cigarettes, or drinks beer, or drinks water (something in the water supply), or his mother's middle name begins with an R. Studies have shown that there is a connection? Bingo, we've solved the problem!

To me, it makes much more sense to say mass shootings are caused by cruelty, child neglect, hateful, baiting politics, racial/religious prejudice, ignorance of warning signals, etc. To the best of my knowledge, there is absolutely no evidence linking weed and violence. If anything, it probably works the opposite way, by making heavy users too "relaxed" and laid back to do anything whatsoever!

Back