A Month Ago

Been There

Shawnee I_Original.jpegMy friend that lives near me asked if I would ride with him up to West Point to visit his grandson. I agreed and he asked me to drive using his van and he would cover the expenses, which I never gave a thought to. I think he no longer trusts his driving on a long trip. We drove from Virginia through Maryland and Pennsylvania and while driving through the Poconos, we noticed this huge old hotel. That’s the picture you will see. It was decorated inside according to the era it was built. On the wall were pictures of people that had stayed there. Gleason, Palmer, Danny Thomas, old man Bush, and on and on, including Sinatra and Martin. I wished I had more information on it, but as big as that place is, we couldn’t locate a soul, except a few maids that knew next to nothing. Nonetheless, it makes a nice picture and reminded me of the hotel used in the movie, “The Shining.”

I wish that I at least knew the name of the hotel. I will research it. The inside is gorgeous. I asked Tom, my friend, if he wanted to stay for lunch. The dining room was of the era and the furniture was very exquisite, no sawdust junk in that place. I peaked in a lodging room and I was impressed. I made a mental note of this place, in case I want to come back.

Found it——The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort.

Shawnee Inn

Last edited:
View attachment 288138My friend that lives near me asked if I would ride with him up to West Point to visit his grandson. I agreed and he asked me to drive using his van and he would cover the expenses, which I never gave a thought to. I think he no longer trusts his driving on a long trip. We drove from Virginia through Maryland and Pennsylvania and while driving through the Poconos, we noticed this huge old hotel. That’s the picture you will see. It was decorated inside according to the era it was built. On the wall were pictures of people that had stayed there. Gleason, Palmer, Danny Thomas, old man Bush, and on and on, including Sinatra and Martin. I wished I had more information on it, but as big as that place is, we couldn’t locate a soul, except a few maids that knew next to nothing. Nonetheless, it makes a nice picture and reminded me of the hotel used in the movie, “The Shining.”
Ok, go down to number 3 on this list of hotels and see if its the same one...if so there is info on when it was built and who built it for whom...etc.:
https://www.poconomountains.com/blog/post/historic-places-to-stay-in-the-poconos/

Ok, go down to number 3 on this list of hotels and see if its the same one...if so there is info on when it was built and who built it for whom...etc.:
https://www.poconomountains.com/blog/post/historic-places-to-stay-in-the-poconos/
Well, that’s certainly interesting. I never knew or would have expected anything like that in the Poconos. I would be willing to put a small wager that rich New Yorkers spend their weekends in those places mentioned. I think any of them would make a great weekend stay.

Back