A Polyester vs. Cotton conundrum

treeguy64

Hari Om, y'all!
As a young, on the road, diamond salesman, I quickly learned that polyester was a terrible way to go, when it came to shirts and suits: It was scratchy, non-absorbent, and made my presence known in ways that were not cool, pun intended. I eschewed plastic clothing in favor of 100% cotton shirts and wool blend suits. Pricier, to be sure, but worth it, as I experienced it. Later, as a climbing arborist, I found that 100% Merino wool, was great for underwear, keeping me cool in the sweltering summer, and warm in the winter. At $50/piece, it also was pricey, but worth it.

Recently, the gf and I bought a new bedspread. It came with sheets and pillowcases. All are 100% polyester. Unbelievably, my mornings of waking up in sweaty pj's stopped, overnight! What was going on? All of my other sheet sets were 100% cotton, drawing from my early life experiences. I slept in cotton pj's, mostly.

I theorized that the cotton sheets hugged my body more than the polyester, but I have no way to test that hypothesis, at this point.

Going with the polyester kick, I have bought 100% polyester underwear, and, so far, it's great.

In reading, online, it seems that the new generation polyester is different from the material I dealt with some forty years ago. It is woven to wick moisture away from the body, to prevent the unpleasant experiences I had in my young days.

So, have any of you become proselytizers for polyester?

My hubby will only wear cotton. As for myself,I wear both. Sometimes I find polyester cooler. I think it all depends on the thickness of the fabric. In the winter I like flannel sheets and in the summer polyester. I totally agree with you about the "presence known" comment when wearing poly. I probably would lean toward cotton in the summer heat.

I'm curious: How many of you polyester haters, and I used to be one, have given the new polyester weaves a try? I only got into polyester, literally and figuratively, in the past two weeks. As I posted, earlier, it's far different from the polyester of old.

You are correct that the new generation of polyester is different than previously. They can make polyester look and feel like anything now. Most of the sport, moisture-wicking shirts are polyester.

I have both polyester and cotton clothes.

Yes. Cotton/Poly blends are very common. I'm trying 100% poly, right now. If old poly qualities pop up to bother me, I'll try some blends. I should say that my old poly clothes from the 70's were cotton/poly blends, as best I recall.

It's quite amazing the things which can be done with polyester. All the lovely fleecy things...I have fleece bedding and it's like being hugged by a teddy-bear. For clothing though, I prefer cotton. Polyester seems to generate heat, and quickly feels uncomfortable.

Cotton for me every time!

I learned early in life, just as you did, Treeguy, that
man made was not good for shirts, sheets and the
underwear, it was OK for trousers though.

Now-a-days a lot of shirts are mixed cotton with
other material, these I still don't like as they are
too warm.

Mike.

Cotton for me every time!

I learned early in life, just as you did, Treeguy, that
man made was not good for shirts, sheets and the
underwear, it was OK for trousers though.

Now-a-days a lot of shirts are mixed cotton with
other material, these I still don't like as they are
too warm.

Mike.

Try a Cotton/Linen blend.... much cooler, and easier to iron than Linen!!

When I hit menopause, I was completely unable to wear anything other than all natural fibers. My body reacted as though I was allergic...it was really strange. I could literally watch my face begin to flush and sweat within a couple of minutes of putting on something that wasn't cotton. I even asked my doctor about it because I'd never experienced anything like that before. I'm not prone to allergies other than environmental ones. My wardrobe for a time was very limited because I had never paid any attention to what they clothes were made of....if I liked an item, and it fit, that was all that counted. I switched my bed sheets, mattress pad and comforter over to all natural fibers because anything else made for a miserable awful night.

I've begun being able to tolerate other fabrics again now, though if something is 100% poly I still react badly to it. But I can do blends where I couldn't before. And there are certain fabrics that my body seems to prefer even over cotton....rayon and acetate are the two primary ones. I don't understand that at all, but da bod doesn't lie!

Microfiber sheets are A Thing now. They're poly, but made in such a way that they feel incredibly soft and apparently are more breathable. It's actually getting harder to find all cotton sheets now, because microfiber have replaced them, at least in the lower price ranges. I wonder if that's what you're sleeping on now, Treeguy?

The 100% poly sheets are shown as microfiber. It's a snazzy way to "dress up" the 100% polyester composition, although the weave process is different, now, as I've read.

Today, I'm off to do a tree job in 100% poly, wicking underwear. I'll let y'all know how it goes. The first time I worked in 100% Merino wool was a religious experience: I never felt any clammy, clinging underwear, never had sweaty, clinging pants or shirt. Still, at $100/set, plus the 100% wool socks, I knew I was investing some heavy bucks. We'll see how the poly goes.

I'm allergic to wool so that's out for me, even if it is blended with other fibers/materials. I stopped using polyester years ago because it never felt comfortable to wear or sleep in/on. It's cotton for me.

Today, I'm off to do a tree job in 100% poly, wicking underwear. I'll let y'all know how it goes. The first time I worked in 100% Merino wool was a religious experience: I never felt any clammy, clinging underwear, never had sweaty, clinging pants or shirt. Still, at $100/set, plus the 100% wool socks, I knew I was investing some heavy bucks. We'll see how the poly goes.

Can't wait! :playful: :cool:

As a backpacker / hiker, the mantra is: Cotton Kills! If you are indoors - no problem. If outdoors in wet or freezing temps cotton absorbs body moisture and hypothermia sets in. Merino wool is great and NOT scratchy!

As a hiker in the Arctic Circle, years back, the above cotton mantra was well known to me.

Today's results (drum roll, please): I'm still wearing my poly underwear, after four hours of intense physical activity in 85°F, a few hours back. That never happens with cotton, as I always strip it off in the garage, before heading in. Unlike 100% cotton, the poly never got clingy, never felt soaked.

The gf is sitting next to me, right now, and no complaints about any foul odors.

Now, 100% Merino wool still is #1, in my book, but I'm going to give poly more respect, from here on out.

I'm looking forward to seeing how poly does at 100°F+ and at 40°F. Such an exciting life I now lead, right?

After loving some recent purchases, I prefer polyester to anything. Usually, when people say they can't stand polyester, they're referring to older polyester that feels scratchy or "plastiky."

I was chatting with a friend about a polyester blanket I sleep with & she said she can't stand polyester. I tried to explain about the new processes that make it soft & comfortable but she wouldn't listen. Later I came to her house wearing a 100% polyester sweater. She felt the material & said "I love it; where did you get it?" She assumed it wasn't polyester because she was fixated on her opinion. She was shocked when I told her it was polyester.

All of my dress shirts were made of Broadcloth. Very comfortable and professional looking, plus the dry cleaners did a great job with pressing them with light starch.

For clothes, I like the polyester/cotton blends. I don't like 100% cotton because I have to iron it after it has been washed and I hate to iron!

Back