A Study Says Pot Can Raise Blood Pressure

WhatInThe

A study of pot smoking says affects could include high blood pressure. It was an observational study of 1200 pot smokers but 'users' risk of high bp increases with each year of use but it was noted bp issues/cardiac event could be a result of the period of time when people stop using pot which could cause a spike in bp.

http://www.businessinsider.com/marijuana-cannabis-heart-health-science-2017-8

Yes, well there are other "studies" that say pot lowers your blood pressure. It is a case of believing what you want to believe.

I agree Timetrvlr, and some "studies" are skewed, just as in prescription drugs, to give the result they seek....completely biased. http://www.greenstate.com/health/a11655150/study-can-cannabis-increase-high-blood-pressure-deaths

here is uncertainty in the survey design, however, according to the study’s lead author, Barbara Yankey, a PhD student in the School of Public Health at Georgia State University.
For example, the team identified a “marijuana user” as someone who had ever tried marijuana. To calculate the duration of marijuana use, the researchers subtracted the age participants reported first trying weed from their current age.

For example, if you first tried cannabis at age 20 and are now 40 years old, you’d be a 20-year “marijuana user.”

“In this specific study, authors conflate subjects’ reporting of having ‘ever used’ cannabis as evidence of current and habitual use. This is likely not the case,” said Paul Armentano, Deputy Director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), in an email.

Over half of America has tried weed, and according to Armentano, 12 percent of Americans say that they are current cannabis users.

While it is established that cannabis can affect blood pressure, other studies indicate cannabis isn’t a large risk to cardiovascular health.

In one 2017 study, for example, researchers tracked marijuana use of 5,113 young adults for 25 years and estimated lifetime exposure to marijuana by conducting exams every two to five years. They found no connection between cannabis use and incident cardiovascular disease.

“Based upon the findings of prior studies, the authors’ interpretation with regard to the degree of this risk potential appears to be sensational, and the methods used in this particular study appear to be highly questionable,” said Armentano.

For now, don’t let this study raise your blood pressure.

Frankly, you're in more danger from a cup of coffee than a toke once in a while:

"Caffeine can cause a short, but dramatic increase in your blood pressure, even if you don't have high blood pressure. It's unclear what causes this spike in blood pressure. Some researchers believe that caffeine could block a hormone that helps keep your arteries widened."
– Mayo Clinic
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...re/expert-answers/blood-pressure/faq-20058543

And I've known a lot of people who enjoyed weed, since I grew up during that period. Frankly, most users, even ones who enjoy weed, hardly ever smoke it. For one thing, good weed never has been and never will be, cheap. For another, when you've got a stressful job and are handling a rush hour commute in your car on the freeway, smoking weed is simply dumb during those times....and 99.98% of people are just not that self-destructive.

Employers will tolerate a lot, but smelling weed in the office ain't one of 'em, and that includes tech companies. Heck, for one thing you not only can't smoke in buildings, around here you can't smoke within 50 FEET of any bldg (which often gets ignored, but I have seen people get hassled for it when guards/cops decide they want you to move right now).

There are two places in the San Francisco Bay Area you can almost always smell weed in the air: sunny weekends in the city parks, and by the trashcans outside restaurant kitchens during workers' breaks. That's pretty much it.

I don't smoke it; it's too harsh and hurts my lungs and throat. I grind it into fine flour and add two tablespoon to a double-chocolate cookie mix. If I have trouble sleeping I have a cookie with a glass of milk then dissolve two melatonin tablets under my tongue. Calms the nerves and I sleep soundly without the high. I only do that once or twice a month so I'm not a big user.

I don't smoke it; it's too harsh and hurts my lungs and throat. I grind it into fine flour and add two tablespoon to a double-chocolate cookie mix. If I have trouble sleeping I have a cookie with a glass of milk then dissolve two melatonin tablets under my tongue. Calms the nerves and I sleep soundly without the high. I only do that once or twice a month so I'm not a big user.

Sounds like a good and healthy solution for insomnia!

Back