A Thought About Isolation

win231

SF VIP
May be an image of text that says 'People moaning about isolation... think about the animals that we have been doing it to for years'

It looks horrible there. My BIL worked at the Zoo, the animals there got lots of love from the staff. They were only kept apart when they first arrived at the zoo, if they were sick, sometimes if pregnant or in a phase for mating. Zoo staff see these animals as part of their family.

I think the panda might be more depressed about his living conditions than his isolation. I don't blame him. It's nothing like his natural habitat. > https://onekindplanet.org/animal/panda-giant/

Are giant pandas social animals?

"Giant pandas are shy animals that prefer to live alone. Using their heightened sense of smell, giant pandas detect the scent of other giant pandas close by and avoid them. The only exception is during the breeding season (March to May) when males use their sense of smell to locate females."

One of the saddest things I've seen was when I was in Nassau, Jamaica, on Paradise Island, and visited the Ardastra Zoo. They had one lone potbellied pig living in a small enclosure behind a chain-link fence on concrete. That poor pig looked so depressed, I was upset. That's a horrible way to keep a pig. The image is still with me to this day. :cry: I don't know if anything has changed since then, but I hope so. Pigs are social animals.

Pot-Bellied Pig Behavioral Characteristics

"Pigs are social by nature. In their natural habitat they live in a group and a pecking order is established and maintained by body and verbal pig language. If a pig is irritated, she may throw her head in a side swiping motion, or she may scream loudly. (A contented pig ouffs around making quiet, satisfied noises that are very pleasing.) Because pot-bellied pigs are social creatures, they may become bored and restless when they are expected to spend inordinate amounts of time alone without either human or other animal interactions. Hence, you need to be creative in providing a pet pig with entertaining distractions. You may even decide to adopt a pair o’ pigs to ensure that you never have a bored or lonely pet."

https://potbellypigs.com/

Bella ✌️

Always had mixed feelings about zoos. No doubt the animals living there have a poor quality of life, but sometimes I think seeing real live animals can raise conscientiousness about the need for habitat and wildlife protection. Not sure what that trade off is.

My favorite zoos are the rescue centers that try to help injured wildlife. And keep some of those that cannot be released back to the wild. One near us specializes in eagles, they have about 8 very impressive birds that will never fly again, broken wings and the like.

It looks horrible there. My BIL worked at the Zoo, the animals there got lots of love from the staff. They were only kept apart when they first arrived at the zoo, if they were sick, sometimes if pregnant or in a phase for mating. Zoo staff see these animals as part of their family.
Zoo animals have everything.
Except their freedom.

Zoo animals have everything.
Except their freedom.
No, they don't. In the photo, the panda's living conditions are nothing like what his natural habitat is. He lives in a cell. No wonder he's depressed.

Zoo staff might see the animals as "family," but that has nothing to do with the conditions they're forced to live under.

Chengdu Panda Research Base is quite the opposite of conventional zoos. > https://randomwire.com/chengdu-panda-research-base/

Gentle Giant

I don't like zoos. I'd rather watch National Geographic and see animals in their natural habitats.

Bella ✌️

No, they don't. In the photo, the panda's living conditions are nothing like what his natural habitat is. He lives in a cell. No wonder he's depressed.

Zoo staff might see the animals as "family," but that has nothing to do with the conditions they're forced to live under.

Chengdu Panda Research Base is quite the opposite of conventional zoos. > https://randomwire.com/chengdu-panda-research-base/

Gentle Giant

I don't like zoos. I'd rather watch National Geographic and see animals in their natural habitats.

Bella ✌️
I misspoke. By "Everything," I meant food & medical care.

When my granddaughter was 4, they took her to the zoo for the first time and she started crying because she thought it was so mean to put animals in cages instead of letting them live in the wild where they belong. She demanded my son to "do something", she wanted him to let all the animals out of their cages. He didn't know how to make her feel better, but he finally told her they could help by donating to organizations that help animals. She's 8 now and has 2 organizations that they still support.

Back