A Thread On Church Pictures?

I am taking my pictures from my mobility chair and sometimes they are at an angle. I try to fix them when I edit them but sometimes it is impossible. Sorry about that. This is pictures I took today of the Emmanuel Episcopal Church about half a block from where I live.

episicol0.JPG

Church From Afar: Below is a picture of a church in Wilton, NH, that was taken from across the river (in the police station parking lot).

jul26_2021_wilton_village_sky.jpg

It was quite hazy that day, reportedly due to all the fires out west, which accounts for the loss of some (reflective) color.

Below is the 1874 Tudor Gothic style church built by industrialist George Gilbert, in the village that grew up around his mills.

jul31_2021_gville_church_sky.jpg

As best I can tell, Gilbert did an excellent job creating a beautiful community for the people who worked in his mills. As a related footnote, one of the very best, (wood-fired oven) bakeries I know if is just down the street. To say their breads, danish and sticky buns are heavenly is an understatement,.

Last edited:
Below is the 1874 Tudor Gothic style church built by industrialist George Gilbert, in the village that grew up around his mills.

jul31_2021_gville_church_sky.jpg

As best I can tell, Gilbert did an excellent job creating a beautiful community for the people who worked in his mills. As a related footnote, one of the very best, (wood-fired oven) bakeries I know if is just down the street. To say their breads, danish and sticky buns are heavenly is an understatement,.
O M Gosh, it's like a fairy tale come to life! Beautiful!

O M Gosh, it's like a fairy tale come to life! Beautiful!
It's absolutely gorgeous and, would you believe, in the winter of 2011-2012, the congregation closed the church and walked away. I don't know why and am trying to find out but townsfolk and some of the congregation stepped in to save it. The church reopened in 2016 to all. Just this summer, crews finished tuckpointing the upper reaches of the steeple. I've some homework to do on this one, including getting inside for pictures. I understand Gilbert also bought and installed an organ of note.

The First Baptist Church within walking distance of my apartment. The trouble I found when trying to get pictures of my local churches in the downtown area is that other building are built in close proximity to the church. So hard to get the whole church without the other buildings. In the first picture the front of the building appears to be the back because it faces a parking lot on a side street.
baptist.JPG

baptist0.JPG

baptist1.JPG

This church is directly next door to my building. It is the United Church of Christ First Congregational. From their website: "The church was organized in 1814 by settlers from New England, and identifies with the Pilgrims and Puritans of colonial New England, the founders of the Congregational tradition in America. The meeting house we now have was built in 1862, and the building was expanded to its present size in 1874."

church.JPG

Back