A Warning From Microsoft On 7/07/21

fmdog44

Yesterday I saw an item on TV but not sure which channel. It said Microsoft has been hit with something that users should go on their website to download a program that will block this thing from infecting their computers. Now, I see no mention of this alert from Microsoft anywhere and I have looked everywhere.

Snippet taken from an article I just finished reading on this.

"It is only a risk for computers where authenticated users have remote access. E.g. file shares on servers joined to a domain or a small workgroup setup where another computer has access to the file shares (and printer shares, if they exist) on a computer on the network.
Essentially the attacker needs to have a basic level of authentication on the shares. If they don’t know authentication details the attack isn’t possible.

Having a windows computer on a home network without sharing setup or having a windows computer directly on the internet is unaffected".

I disabled the Print Spooler service in Windows, which deals with multiple documents being sent to the printer. If Microsoft fixes the issue, I'll re-enable the Print Spooler.

In case anyone is interested -- this is kind of long as it gives several methods of disabling the service. I just scrolled down to the "Turn off Print Spooler from System Configuration" section, which is about 3/4 of the way down the page:

How to Disable Print Spooler Service in Windows 10 & 11
https://windowsloop.com/how-to-disable-print-spooler-service-in-windows-10-11/

P.S. My husband's Windows 10 updated today. Normally, Windows updates are on a Tuesday, so it appears that Microsoft was pushing out something outside of the normal schedule. (I'm too lazy to look up what it was.)

I used my old slow laptop this morning for 10 mins , that’s still running on XP because of my embroidery machine programs ,so it’s protection would be well out of date
luckily I have anything that’s important backed up should anything happen to it .

I’d love to buy a new laptop but wouldn’t be able to operate my outdated software for my sewing machine if I did so I’m stuck with a dinosaur 🦖 operating system
or pay up to $5.000 to replace my machine and about $1.000 for the software programs
which I rarely use but I like to use if I want to make something using the embroidery.

Made this Mug rug a few days ago

DEF580D3-3E3C-4679-B6F6-FAC84BEC2908.jpeg

I mainly use my iPad / phone

I used my old slow laptop this morning for 10 mins , that’s still running on XP because of my embroidery machine programs ,so it’s protection would be well out of date
luckily I have anything that’s important backed up should anything happen to it .

I’d love to buy a new laptop but wouldn’t be able to operate my outdated software for my sewing machine if I did so I’m stuck with a dinosaur 🦖 operating system
or pay up to $5.000 to replace my machine and about $1.000 for the software programs
which I rarely use but I like to use if I want to make something using the embroidery.

Made this Mug rug a few days ago

View attachment 172834

I mainly use my iPad / phone
Is that adorable or what!

Beautiful work, Kadee! :love:

Back