A woman might go to jail for forgetting to return library books

Robert59

A woman failed to return two public library books on time and was faced with an arrest warrant.

The Charlotte, Michigan resident checked out two books from her local library in 2017, and says she didn't know about the overdue fines until a few months ago, according to CNN affiliate WILX.

treeguy64

Hari Om, y'all!
At first, I was thinking that arresting this woman was absurd, beyond belief. After reading the article about her and this incident, I'm not so sure that a little jail time would necessarily be a bad thing, for her. The article hints that she has done this before. That's the only reason I feel as I do.

Aunt Bea

I didn't care for the woman's attitude but it seems like a waste of the taxpayer's money and an abuse of the system to issue an arrest warrant over a library fine.

I also think that the library fine should be capped at the cost of the book plus some sort of administrative/collection fee instead of continuing to grow over time.

After reading the link, it appears that the library followed proper protocol in getting their property returned. If what the defendant is claiming is to be believed, that she moved, changed addresses, phone, etc., then it may be possible for her attorney to work out a deal in her behalf.

I believe that the court will urge the parties to get together and workout a solution, but you never know.

wow a little over the top I may add --issuing a warrant for something so petty 'police must be bored stiff '
It’s not the police, the library filed a complaint, the D.A., judge, justice of the peace, or whoever is the legal rep for that town, issued the warrant and the cops did their duty and served it.

Sunny

Yeah, I see what you mean, Bea. But then, considering that this woman has apparently had a troubled life with some big-time problems, telling her that she is arrested for overdue library books might get a laughter reaction. What else should she do? Fall down on the floor and beg for mercy?

chic

Oh please, get real and solve some real issues and crimes in this country. This is such a waste of taxpayers money IMHO.

Aunt Bea

Yeah, I see what you mean, Bea. But then, considering that this woman has apparently had a troubled life with some big-time problems, telling her that she is arrested for overdue library books might get a laughter reaction. What else should she do? Fall down on the floor and beg for mercy?
Return the books and pay the fine.

The fine should be capped at the replacement cost of the books. If she doesn't pay it she loses her library privileges and it gets reported to the credit bureau, and turned over to a collection agency. That's punishment enough. This is not Nazi Germany. Yet. Although it does seem to be heading in that direction.

Last edited: