A young fox has set up home in my local park.

it was born in the spring.
This is the time of year foxes are looking for a place to have their offspring.
I used to have a pair of foxes come to my backyard/woods every spring to have their kits.
It is much safer here than in the federal preserve I live next to.(coyotes everywhere)
When the kits get big enough they leave and go back to the preserve.
We used to have coffee on the back porch in the morning and watch the kits play on a warm spring day under the watchful eyes of one of the parents. The kits are so cute.

I hope park goers respect the sweet little thing and keep their distance.
I hope the fox is trapped and moved to another more approximate place. Otherwise people will feed it, it will lose its fear of humans, it will bite some intrusive kid, and then be trapped, tested for rabies, and put to death.

Foxes are not “sweet little things“, they are wild animals. @Aunt Marg I find your responses to animal threads confusing and varied. Why do you want feral cats trapped and disposed of? Feral cats provide rodent control. They are trapped, vaccinated and released back to their area.

You agreed a one bite dog should be put down, but usually one bite dogs go to rehab depending on the state they are in, of course. And you took the trouble to go to my thread and state that the crate I kept my puppy in was a cage, and you would never cage a dog whereas this is a common and necessary practice in the USA, and most other places.

An unvaccinated fox that could get rabies and bite a child is a “sweet little thing”. (my great great grandfather on my dads side died when bit by a rabid animal. It a horrid death. I have a newspaper article on it.).

Could you please explain your various positions on animal control and reasoning behind those positions? So I could better understand your position.

I hope the fox is trapped and moved to another more approximate place. Otherwise people will feed it, it will lose its fear of humans, it will bite some intrusive kid, and then be trapped, tested for rabies, and put to death.

Foxes are not “sweet little things“, they are wild animals. @Aunt Marg I find your responses to animal threads confusing and varied. Why do you want feral cats trapped and disposed of? Feral cats provide rodent control. They are trapped, vaccinated and released back to their area.

You agreed a one bite dog should be put down, but usually one bite dogs go to rehab depending on the state they are in, of course. And you took the trouble to go to my thread and state that the crate I kept my puppy in was a cage, and you would never cage a dog whereas this is a common and necessary practice in the USA, and most other places.

An unvaccinated fox that could get rabies and bite a child is a “sweet little thing”. (my great great grandfather on my dads side died when bit by a rabid animal. It a horrid death. I have a newspaper article on it.).

Could you please explain your various positions on animal control and reasoning behind those positions? So I could better understand your position.
About everyone on this thread mentioned how cute and sweet the fox was. Why are you singling out Aunt Marg?

About everyone on this thread mentioned how cute and sweet the fox was. Why are you singling out Aunt Marg?
Methinks they do not care for one another, Gaer, but I do feel Aneeda takes things a tad too seriously sometimes. I doubt Aunt Marg means ill toward her or her pup. Just feels differently about how it should be handled. I don't care personally if I put a dog in a crate if someone wants to call it a cage or whatever, but others feel differently. And, if a puppy bites you, no way do you put it down. I've been bitten by pups and adult dogs, but thankfully never a feral one. Then, I'd probably lobby for it to be put down. We all have our own ideas as to how to raise our animals and, I for one am enjoying Aneeda's journal with Bella. Whether I agree with some of it is neither here nor there. It's her dog and that's it. As for the fox, well, I agree about the rabies bit and I am not happy that my dog goes after them. But the kits are cute and they can be vaccinated if caught.

As cute as they are, wild foxes are not pets. The fox is in a public park where it can bite a child or an animal, it should be removed.
It would be if that was in Australia.

Back