Addiction among older adults

chipham261

Hi all,

We recognize that older adults (loosely described as persons over age 55) frequently have substance abuse issues but are stigmatized and ignored by society and underserved by the mental health profession. Their symptoms are underrecognized and falsely attributed to the normal aging process. We make this video to raise people's awareness about addiction among older adults and encourage people to open up and seek help.

Your message has struck a nerve with me. I have a friend whose brother is 70 y/o and is addicted to pain pills. I was able to get him into a rehab (in patient) for 10 days. The rehab unit of the hospital only had 15 beds and all beds were filled with a waiting list aside. All of the patients were between the ages of 50-up. They were successful with detoxification and put him through a program to wean him off of his OxyContin, but now he is addicted to the medication Suboxone that they used to eliminate the cravings.

I have made several calls to the various rehabs that I had previously worked with and no one wants to treat these people. So, now what?

Your message has struck a nerve with me. I have a friend whose brother is 70 y/o and is addicted to pain pills. I was able to get him into a rehab (in patient) for 10 days. The rehab unit of the hospital only had 15 beds and all beds were filled with a waiting list aside. All of the patients were between the ages of 50-up. They were successful with detoxification and put him through a program to wean him off of his OxyContin, but now he is addicted to the medication Suboxone that they used to eliminate the cravings.

I have made several calls to the various rehabs that I had previously worked with and no one wants to treat these people. So, now what?
I am not a Scientologist but I do agree with their viewpoint on this: you don't treat addiction by getting individuals hooked on something else. :mad:

However- there's an approach used locally that's as bad or worse. A local agency (now with other agencies on-board) started a program to help homeless folks find homes. Virtually all the homeless adults are homeless because of addictions- and it's not what one might think. Although many have SSDI, and some even have jobs, their $ goes for drugs/alcohol while returning to homeless shelters and other sources of help to provide for their everyday needs.

Now, they have little obligations on their money and all the free time in the world to drug, drink, and so forth.
Here's the catch: that particular program has offered a variety of "helping" services, BUT the individuals were not required to participate. More recently, HUD put in their two-cents (and funding) and along with it their version of the program- "self-determination," stating they 'do not believe they should tell people' to not use drugs or drink excessively!! The area has turned into a drug-infested crime-pit. And it's not problems with pain medications, it's meth and heroin.

And it gets worse- not acknowledging that this approach does not work with middle-aged and senior individuals, the agency is preparing to extend it to young adults, too.

Who in their right mind would take the approach 'We'll give you a place to live so you can continue drinking and drugging til you die'? along with the message that these individuals are not responsible for any of their other actions, either.

Getting back to OP’s post, I feel kind of bad that I couldn’t help my friend’s brother. He is a really nice person and is one of those people that would do anything for you within his ability.

I keep asking around, but can’t get anywhere. I have even called SAMHSA and spoke with those people for almost an hour.

Going back to 2000, we initiated a sting on a drug dealer in Montgomery County. On the night of the raid, we confiscated almost $2.5 million in pain pills and about $200,000 in cash. They pills were manufactured in India, so that was the end of the trace.

JaniceM & 911
Bureaucrats write laws by committees, the original intent is lost due to too many cooks stirring the pot-Especially when it comes to Funding.

Rehab requires a facility=expenditure of funds. Tax payers will not fund Rehab, MHMR, Prison Rehab...

"Hell no, their a bunch of criminals, drug heads and crazies. I'm tired on paying for
these 'underbelly' people."

The longer the problem exist the more the taxpayer wants the problem to disappears.

We as a nation are mired in our own inadequacy to solve complex problems.
"I'm tired of hearing about drugs, put 'um somewhere, just make the problem
go away."

It does go away, when we stop paying attention...all things continue as before
but we no longer able to pay attention.
I have no answer, our social problems are massive.

Last edited:
Heard on the news that hip and knee operations will probably have to wait another year as the focus was, and still is, on treating the Covid19 virus patients. Consequently doctors are prescribing really strong painkillers and there is concern that some may become addicted. 😟

Doctors are too afraid of the strict laws & snooping to provide adequate painkillers for people genuinely in need. They are failing their patients, but it's the government's fault.

At this point with all my years I've known or seen too many addicts up in age. One of the things they had in common is that most had prior substance abuse issues and/or showed signs earlier in life that addicted or addictive would be in their future.

Until the addict wants to get sober for themselves not much one can do for them. Addiction frequently exposes existing weaknesses and/or exacerbates existing problems. The addict or alcoholic must want to change and not to appease someone or please a court.

Back