Ain't got no time to do stuff.

I'm not retired. There is plenty to do all the time and I'm never bored that I can think of because I have hobbies, BF, and fam and I'm always learning something. Everyday. I still have goals. Isn't that unbelievable? :giggle:

I live on 8.5 acres, with fruit trees & shrubs, extensive veggie gardens, decorative shrubs, a pond, and some lawn. Plus a house & outbuildings that require maintenance. Then there's fencing to maintain to keep deer & bears out, and the occasional trapping that has to be handled for invasive, destructive raccoons.

Consequently, my time is soaked up from spring to winter's arrival. Things slow down in winter with snow shoveling & snowplowing to be done, but not too much else. If the snow is good for cross-country skiing, I get to do some of that.

Then too, year round I'm a volunteer with the local river conservation/restoration group... but I've chosen that as an involvement. I like to read, not a big TV watcher (though I like a few British detective series, good movies, etc).

Last edited:
And a nice pile it is. Do you cure the wood in the open air, and then cover it with a tarp or something in winter?
Yeah
Couple years for that lodge pole pine

that's what 14 cord looks like

We'd rotate the ricks
One rick is approx 1/3 cord
we'd use four cord per winter

and, yes, tarp to the ground (before snow fall)

One of the fun winter exercises was hacking it out of the ice

Chopped some nice ice steps down to the wood with a mattock

winter wood pile.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's dedication, Gary'O. A woodpile in the forest with a camo covering. Google Earth Pro lens not gonna image that woodpile. . .

Nicely done. Wondering if you might be able to score some woodland pattern radar scattering camo nets from a surplus store? They'd cover a larger area and less labor intensive?

Now that's dedication, Gary'O. A woodpile in the forest with a camo covering. Google Earth Pro lens not gonna image that woodpile., but woulda been handy to make some equipment more concealed. .

Nicely done. Wondering if you might be able to score some woodland pattern radar scattering camo nets from a surplus store? They'd cover a larger area and less labor intensive?
Yeah, the camo tarps were intentional
Netting woulda been nice to conceal equipment

The tarps were huge and tough to place in the wind
But learned to tie down the one side, drag the other end over the pile on the down wind side (a two man job), and tie that end down
Then tie down all the corners and sides

Worth the effort

After struggling, that first winter, to untie the frozen tie downs (I ended up just cutting them), I used wood screws thru the grommets (two per grommet, on an opposing slant)
Much much easier to free up the tarp (with a power drive)

tarp.jpg

Back