air conditioning

I haven't. We have central-air in our home, and aside from it keeping the house cool and comfortable, we've never noticed any issues with low oxygen levels, etc.

Do you have window units in your home, Janice? Or do you have central-air?

I haven't. We have central-air in our home, and aside from it keeping the house cool and comfortable, we've never noticed any issues with low oxygen levels, etc.

Do you have window units in your home, Janice? Or do you have central-air?
One window unit in living room. It's brand-new.
I have no idea how to determine oxygen levels.
I don't have much experience with air conditioners.

I read air conditioning removes oxygen from the air... has anyone heard of this?

Can you let us know where you read it? The sites I found online said that air conditioners do not consume oxygen and there are at least a couple of reasons people don't die in closed air conditioned buildings.

1. We don't use up that much oxygen when we breathe.
2. Most buildings are not completely air tight and outside air enters the building and interior air leaves the building

Also think about people who live at high altitudes. There's about 21% oxygen in the air at sea level and about 13% at 12,000 feet. Most people can easily live at higher altitudes although some of them have to take a while to get up to that altitude to avoid altitude sickness. It's just tough exercising at higher altitudes.

Can you let us know where you read it? The sites I found online said that air conditioners do not consume oxygen and there are at least a couple of reasons people don't die in closed air conditioned buildings.

1. We don't use up that much oxygen when we breathe.
2. Most buildings are not completely air tight and outside air enters the building and interior air leaves the building

Also think about people who live at high altitudes. There's about 21% oxygen in the air at sea level and about 13% at 12,000 feet. Most people can easily live at higher altitudes although some of them have to take a while to get up to that altitude to avoid altitude sickness. It's just tough exercising at higher altitudes.
This was the first result- from Quora- (copy/pasted)
When the Air-conditioner is used inside a closed place. It doesn't circulates the Air it just cools the place. The oxygen inside the closed space will get empty because we breath them…andhe lack of oxygen and increased carbon dioxide makes you feel dizzy.

This was the first result- from Quora- (copy/pasted)
When the Air-conditioner is used inside a closed place. It doesn't circulates the Air it just cools the place. The oxygen inside the closed space will get empty because we breath them…andhe lack of oxygen and increased carbon dioxide makes you feel dizzy.

I'd like to see a scientific study indicating this is true. For those of us who live in places where it gets cold enough to not open up the house during the winter I'd expect this to be a problem with a heated house as well. In fact I think one would find that winter house and room closures generally longer term than summer closures.

I'd like to see a scientific study indicating this is true. For those of us who live in places where it gets cold enough to not open up the house during the winter I'd expect this to be a problem with a heated house as well. In fact I think one would find that winter house and room closures generally longer term than summer closures.
I don't recall having this problem during the wintertime- although I run the heat at a rather high temp, and I don't think the landlords pay much attention to servicing the heating system.

I read air conditioning removes oxygen from the air... has anyone heard of this?

I don't think this is possible unless you were using a large window a/c unit in a completely sealed closet sized room. Heck, every rv builder that made an rv with an a/c unit in it would be liable and since almost all rv's have a/c, I think your worry is unfounded.

I have COPD and have no issues with Central Air or other A/C.
same here. if it weren't for the a/c i'd die!

from what i'm seeing on the internet the answer is no. there's always gonna be air circulation and oxygen getting in somewhere. even in a negative flow room like they keep quarantined people in.

I never heard that. I have had people tell me they don't like it because it makes the air too dry & gives them a sore throat & sinuses.

I have a pulse oximeter, which reads the amount of O2 in my system. Normal reading is 95-100. Mine is consistently around 97-98. We have central air going 24/7.

We have the AC or the furnace going probably 8 or 9 months out of the year. Whenever the weather is fairly mild, we open the windows and let some fresh air in. Even in the most extreme Summer heat, or Winter cold, I've never noticed any lack of oxygen, or had any problems with breathing.

Back