Alaska, Point Barrow and more

a) Barrow Town with 2 hotels. b) Point Barrow is native territory and only an Inupiat Eskimo guide can take you to the most northern point 1,300 miles from the North Pole. We saw still plenty of sea ice in June although that depends on shifting winds we
were told. We had made arrangements for the Eskimo guide via Internet but weren't sure whether he would show up (nail biting) until he honked 1/2 hour late in front of the hotel.
DSCN9414.JPGDSCN9512.JPGDSCN9466.JPGDSCN9479.JPGDSCN9505.JPG

Last edited:
Driving by car in Alaska, we saw plenty of wildlife. And, for example, the same way as we see coyotes in our garden at home, in Alaska you can see moose grazing on your front lawn. Moose were the most common animals we saw, and many were not afraid of people although we were warned not to get to close. I doubt whether reindeer is native to Alaska, but we did not see a fence.
DSCN9315.JPGDSCN9305.JPGDSCN9625.JPGDSCN9870.JPGDSCN9718.JPG

Last edited:
My one regret in life, was never getting to Alaska.
Hubby and I made it to all the other 49 states over several years of travels, and Canada and Mexico too.

But somehow Alaska was not to be.
Thanks for the pictures.

Alaska is a land of wonders. I've sailed the south west coast, spent a winter in Petersburg, and flown in a Cessna over tundra and bush to a small village north of Nome named Brevig Mission. Never been to Barrow, but the thought of the place has always intrigued me. James Michener's novel, Alaska, captures the essence of the place and it's history just about as well as any history book. He gives himself some author's license on the pre history as he has to guess at some of it, but starting with Russia's occupation, he seems to get everything spot on, although he introduces some fictional characters to describe some aspects of everyday life in the history of the state. During my sailing and flying, I've actually stayed in a couple of places where I recalled, "Oh, this is that place that Michener described." Taku Harbor was one of them where the remains of an old cannery still remain which he wrote about.

The Russians want Alaska back!

RussianPenguins-94719534ae83ce84d0fd974574eb67f35a0c9903-s400-c85.webp

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/norad-detects-russian-aircraft-operating-near-alaska/

Last edited:
Is that a MacDonalds arch in the first photo?
No, it isn't but I wouldn't be surprised if they have one there in the very near future. There is even a MacDonald's in Cuba....... in Guatamano Bay; all owned and operated the Americans.

Attachments

• Cuba Ronald.jpg
    Cuba Ronald.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Bare wired McDonald's.jpg
    Bare wired McDonald's.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 3
My only "experience" of Barrow was watching the movie "30 Days of Darkness". I decided that any place that Russian vampires can take over isn't for me.....LOL. Then I find out that it wasn't even filmed in Barrow; it was filmed in Vancouver. Heck, the Russian vampires would run screaming from parts of Vancouver.

OK, Barrow's back on the bucket list. Bucket's kind of leaky these days, though.

The above are SHEEP, specifically Dall Sheep, I believe. Below is a Mountain Goat. Their habitats do overlap, but Goats are usually found higher up on the steepest rockiest cliffs they can find. Sheep usually travel farther down the mountain on to more grassy slopes, but they do like it steep. They are not related species. Mountain Sheep are brown, huskier, and larger horns.

Mountain Goat.jpg

Back