Alcohol use by seniors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, you aint' no alchocholic. Alchoholics are the ones going to AA meetings.

I used to drink when I was working and entertaining clients and I have been wined and dined in the business world. I considered it a necessity. Up until a year ago I enjoyed an occasional vodka or gin tonic. Now maybe an occasional glass of wine with dinner. I could still enjoy one but most of my medications suggest I not partake. But I did notice that wasteful half can a day of beer.

I just love Guinness from the tap. The smooth creamy froth is an extra bonus.
While on the topic, a dear friend passed away a few months ago .He would say:" lets have a coldie! and "untill such time"
He just "fall asleep" in his lounge chair, with beloved "coldie" in his hand.
What a way to go!!

http://vimeo.com/23278902

is the address to a discovery channel program entitled: how beer saved the world

it is worth the 43 minutes it takes, especially if u r a beer drinker

I've heard stories of 12 beer plus a day drinking alcoholics developing dementia? Does that sound right?

These are basically hardcore alcoholics who drank all of their life and into their senior years. My guess it would exacerbate the condition if nothing else.

I also heard though once you smell that sweet alcohol breath on people their body is already on over load trying to expel excess through their breath. I know senior stinking after to two glasses of wine.

I've heard stories of 12 beer plus a day drinking alcoholics developing dementia? Does that sound right?

These are basically hardcore alcoholics who drank all of their life and into their senior years. My guess it would exacerbate the condition if nothing else.

I also heard though once you smell that sweet alcohol breath on people their body is already on over load trying to expel excess through their breath. I know senior stinking after to two glasses of wine.

Many people can drink 12+ beers a day and not be alcoholics! Paul Newman supposedly drank more than that when he was in his prime!
No two people react the same. Now whisky is a horse of another color.

Having Alz in my family big time, I've read tons of articles on dementia... and everything I read basically says if ya live long enough, the majority of us are gonna get some form of it. And that's how I see it with those around me -- most of whom were never more than social drinkers (always with a few exceptions, lol.) And I'm maybe being dramatic in calling it a very mild form of dementia, but can't remember things on a fairly regular basis -- and that would be me and darned near everyone I know! I don't see any difference with the few I knew to be very heavy drinkers in their earlier years and moderate to sometimes heavy drinkers after 60. Geez, I don't know anyone who drank 12 beers/day, can't even imagine, so I can't speak on that. But I don't know that many people who drink beer other than the boss.

The only alcohol my mom ever consumed was a glass of wine at Xmas, because I served it to her. Never knew of her having a drink before that. She died of Alz, as did her sister who was always an extremely religious woman and thought any amount of alcohol would send you straight to hell. Not saying there isn't a connection, I just haven't observed it from those I know. Heavy drinking can't possibly be good for you on any level, but heavy for me anymore would be 3 glasses of wine -- ONLY because our liver simply doesn't process it the same. aarrgghh!!!!

I know from first hand experience you don't have to be a senior to have alcohol breath after just a sip or 2 of wine or beer. LOL I've never heard of senior stinking, need to read up on that.

I know from first hand experience you don't have to be a senior to have alcohol breath after just a sip or 2 of wine or beer. LOL I've never heard of senior stinking, need to read up on that.

How about reeks of alcohol:p

SupermanDrinking-Bar.gif

In preparation for an evening of wine last night, I spent a good part of yesterday consuming as much water as I could get down....and pretty much the rest of the day getting rid of it! I forced myself to have a bottle of water in between each of the 3 glasses of wine and paced myself well. I was in bed by 12:30 and not a smidge of a hangover today!:yeah:

That's the key. Dehydration is the culprit so drinking lots and lots of water in between the wine saves the day. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back