Alec Baldwin Will Likely Be Charged

And now he has been, or is about to be. Involuntary Manslaughter. Sounds right to me, but I really thought he'd some how dodge it.

Alec Baldwin to be charged over deadly shooting on Rust film set
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64337761
His liberal friends couldn’t help him. Involuntary manslaughter, he will serve some time.

It's too bad that Baldwin lied(why???), that's no doubt a huge 'red flag' for investigators. IMO whoever made the decision to use live ammunition on the movie shoot has to bear *some* measure of responsibility.
What was reported earlier is more likely. During breaks in filming, they were having fun plinking at tin cans in back of the set. The gun was not checked for live ammo remaining before rehearsing/filming.
Another possibility: For realism, blanks are sometimes made to look the same as live ammo & that could have caused confusion.

When I worked in retail firearms & instruction, I saw a similar issue that resulted in an accidental discharge in the shop. Luckily, an important rule was followed (point in a safe direction), so the result was not tragic - just a hole in the wall.
I saw some live ammo in a drawer, mixed with dummy rounds. Dummy rounds are cartridges that are missing a powder charge & a live primer, so they can't fire, but otherwise look exactly the same as a live round. The purpose of dummy rounds is to instruct new gun owners on loading/unloading/checking procedures. I suggested to my co-workers that they should not have live rounds & dummy rounds in the same place. They didn't listen & said I was being "Paranoid."
Later, while showing a customer the loading/unloading procedure, an employee pulled the trigger to demonstrate that a dummy round wouldn't fire &....the gun fired.
There are safe dummy rounds that don't look like regular live ammo; they are made of plastic or aluminum & are brightly colored to avoid such issues:
Dummy-Rounds-9x19mm-5pcs-Strike-Industries
When I taught, I always used these. They come in all calibers & are easily recognizable.
  • A-Zoom 45 Colt Precision Snap Caps (6 Pack)

Last edited:
What was reported earlier is more likely. During breaks in filming, they were having fun plinking at tin cans in back of the set. The gun was not checked for live ammo remaining before rehearsing/filming.
Ah, OK...sloppy, careless(negligent)firearms handling. They should have had an armorer in charge...oh wait...they did.
From the article:
On Thursday, Santa Fe's District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies announced in a statement that charges would be filed by the end of the month.
"Actor and producer Alec Baldwin and armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed will each be charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter," the statement read. "I have determined that there is sufficient evidence."
Both face up to 18 months in jail and a $5,000 (£4,040) fine if convicted. They will be tried by a jury, prosecutors said.

OK, that sounds reasonable. Negligence resulting in fatalities needs to be sanctioned with criminal penalties.

Back