Alternative Shopping Venue

A FB friend posted today that she made fudge and since the local supermarket didn't have the brand of chocolate chips she usually buys, she bought the store brand. She said that the fudge was so bad that she threw it out. I posted a comment that if the supermarket doesn't have something she wants, to look next door in Dollar General since there's an outside chance they might have it. She responded that she wouldn't be caught dead in a "discount" store. Well, I can only make a suggestion, but it seems kind of a snobby comment. I always check the discount store first, if they don't have it, then I go to the supermarket.

We have a great Dollar Tree here and the dishwasher products are just as good as Cascade, etc. I have never had a problem with their cleaning supplies. I also use their office supplies. They are all great bargains at a dollar each.

I have often shopped the dollar store, which is next door to my supermarket of choice. Some things I find are great value...occasionally there are things I have found for less than a dollar at Walmart or something. But sometimes, it is worth spending the extra few cents to NOT have to go to a big store.
I carry a pocket calendar for appointments, which I always buy at the dollar store. Also some beauty supplies, like shampoo, body wash and stuff. I have gone in with $20 to $30 and been able to do a real stock up. To the people who feel they are too good for there, I say do not knock it.

She responded that she wouldn't be caught dead in a "discount" store. Well, I can only make a suggestion, but it seems kind of a snobby comment.
Friend of mine would say that about Walmart. She doesn't realize how much money she spends at the stores she goes to. But she preferred lobster and crab and steak. I'm fine with tilapia and chicken and ground beef so I can save the money.

Many years ago, I had my then 7 year old niece visit for a weekend. One day, I took her to the $ store, handed her a $10 bill and told her she could pick out 10 things (I was going to pay tax). She was amazed that she could get SO MANY things. A smart shopper, even at 7, she found some packs of gum that were 2 for a dollar...so was pleased she got 11 things!!!

I love the dollar store. All my wrapping paper comes from there and yesterday I bought some clear cute plastic bags with snowmen on them to put some homemade candy and cookies in. 15 for a dollar and they came with silver twist ties.

An article in Woman's Day, about shopping in dollar stores - just some things to avoid there for your general health

https://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/advice/g1798/the-10-most-toxic-items-at-dollar-stores/
No wonder so many people get cancer! On the other hand, I used to spend $4-5 for cards, now I buy them at the dollar stores.

Am I glad I changed my name to Catlady from PVC, now they even accuse me of giving cancer. = 😿
{{items were made with a plastic called polyvinyl chloride, or PVC. PVC is made from vinyl chloride, a cancer-causing chemical that has harmed workers and contaminated communities close to the factories. }}

I buy Christmas Cards and Birthday Cards at the Dollar Store....If you go to any other store they are double the money....They have regular Scott toilet paper,
regular paper towels (Scott), Our Dollar Store does not have food....I also buy pencils and pens....I didn't die yet!!!!!

Dollar Tree here have their greeting cards 2/1.00. I don't buy them as a couple of charities I support send me fabulous greeting cards each year. At Christmas they are really nice. I do buy batteries at our Dollar Tree and their cleaning supplies are great.

I buy my Sunbeam light bulbs from the dollar tree. They last as long or longer than some I've bought from high dollar stores. Also, get my Ajax dish washing soap, tin foil, sandwich bags there. They do carry overstocks of name brand items - not everything is a dreaded Chinese product. I get all my cards there. And, they also have little packets of name brand candies for a lot less :) I

An article in Woman's Day, about shopping in dollar stores - just some things to avoid there for your general health

https://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/advice/g1798/the-10-most-toxic-items-at-dollar-stores/

Seems like a reach for a whole blog post. Mardi Gras beads and window cling decorations aren't something people buy on a regular basis. I have bought a dollar store plastic spatula before, and can see why that's not a good idea.

Don't understand people who snub bargain stores. That sounds so pretentious. I know very rich people who understand the value of a bargain. That's how they got there or kept/built on what they inherited.

Love Steel Magnolia's Drum Eatenton's play on the quote "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ...."an ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure." :poop:

Last edited:
Shopping at the Dollar stores can save a fair amount of money. We buy all of our greeting/birthday/etc. cards at Dollar General...50 cents or $1 for cards that sell for 3 or 4 dollars, even at Walmart. We use quite a few Kleenex....$1.50 at DG, $2.50 elsewhere. They recently remodeled the DG in our little local town, and added a bunch of items. For most common items, it doesn't make much sense to run all over the area, and pay more.

I love going to the "Dollar Tree' stores,always buy birthday/anniv cards,yearly pocket&wall calendars,envelopes,writing tablets/pens,household cleaning products there.
There is another discount store called'Family Dollar'most of their products are $ 2 or more,like going there too

Here in Canada we have Dollarama and other dollar store franchises that I enjoy shopping at. Companies actually manufacture products specifically packaged for the dollar stores. It’s great for purchasing quite a few things which I do. I’m not a super frugal shopper but rather consider myself a smart consumer. Most of our shopping is done at stores that offer the best prices. I certainly don’t worry about what others think of me shopping to save money.

There are a few people I know who would shop at those stores but wouldn’t admit it because .......(?)
Truthfully I haven’t yet figured that out yet and truthfully I love dollar stores. They’re awesome.

Don't understand people who snub bargain stores. That sounds so pretentious. I know very rich people who understand the value of a bargain. That's how they got there or kept/built on what they inherited.
Yes - - much better for us to send our chauffeur in while waiting in the car. It eliminates mixing with the "riff-raff" but, at the same time, still saving money. 😄

Back