Amazing health benefits of almonds .

Happyflowerlady

Vagabond Flowerchild
Although I still use milk and milk products, I am also starting to make my own fresh almond milk, and it is one of those things that seems to grow on you. At first, I bought some from the store just to try it out. I bought the plain unsweetened variety, because it has almost no calories, and very few carbs. Plus almond milk has lots of vitamins and minerals; so the addition of almond milk seemed like a great plan.
Well, it was a great plan; but there was one huge flaw in my planning.......the stuff tasted awful ! Okay, maybe not awful, as much as it seemed watery and tasteless.
Then my daughter got me a Vitamix for Mother's Day, and one of the recipe suggestions was for making almond or coconut milk.
When we went to Sam's club, I got a bag of almonds, soaked some overnight, and the next day I blended the daylights out of them in the Vitamix, just like the instructions said to do.
This resulted in a much creamier almond milk, and after that, I experimented by adding whey protein powder (almond milk is lower in whole protein than dairy milk), and also sweetening it a little bit more with some Splenda
I tried making chocolate almond milk, and vanilla almond milk, and also using it in smoothies and even some in my coffee.
While I do still prefer cream in my coffee, over-all, I am pleased with how the almond milk turns out, and how simple it is to make it fresh.
Aside from the protein content, almond milk is high in calcium, magnesium, and has over 12 grams of fiber in less than a half of a cup.
Of course, you can also get the benefit from all of these nutrients just from eating the almonds; but if you are looking for a low-calorie, low-carb milk substitute, almond milk is worth giving a try.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/seed-and-nut/health-benefits-of-almonds.html

You might want to do a little research on Splenda versus some other no/low calorie sweeteners, like stevia.
I think that most of the sugar substitutes, including stevia, have been found to be pretty well treated using chemicals, and they are now saying that even stevia, which comes from a perfectly fine plant, is not good to use.
This is one of those quandaries, where each manufacturer denigrates the other company's product. No matter what kind of sweetener a person uses, natural (like honey) or artificial (sugar included), there are researchers who claim that sweetener is bad for us.
I use a variety of sweeteners, depending on what I want to sweeten. On my yogurt, I like a bit of sorghum, in tea or coffee, I usually use either splenda or plain saccharine, and sometimes, I use honey, or sweet fruit juice as a sweetener. It just depends.
What I have been doing, is trying not to use much of any kind of sweetener, natural, artificial, or otherwise. I think that having a spoon of splenda in my morning coffee is much different than drinking a six-pack of diet pop every day; so I allow it, just regulated.

I've used almond milk before on corn flakes, and it's pretty good, but I prefer unsweetened organic rice milk. Too lazy to make my own, nice that your daughter gave you a Vitamix! Almonds are very good for you, we buy them from Costco roasted with sea salt and eat them plain for a snack often. They say raw are most nutritious, but I don't really like any nuts raw.

May this ignoramus ask what you do with almond milk besides drink it? Can it be added to - say - coffee?

I don't know how thick the one that HappyFlowerLady makes is but the one I buy from the store I use in my Fiber One Cereal. I hate milk and almond milk is healthier so I use it. Also less calories than whole milk if you buy the one that's only 30 calories a serving.

Yes, it can be added to coffee and Ive done that sometimes.

Here is what Google says....

Almond milk. Almond milk is made from ground almonds and filtered water. ... Almond milk is lower in calories than other milks, as long as it is unsweetened. It's also free of saturated fat, and it's naturally lactose-free.

Although I still use milk and milk products, I am also starting to make my own fresh almond milk, and it is one of those things that seems to grow on you. At first, I bought some from the store just to try it out. I bought the plain unsweetened variety, because it has almost no calories, and very few carbs. Plus almond milk has lots of vitamins and minerals; so the addition of almond milk seemed like a great plan.
Well, it was a great plan; but there was one huge flaw in my planning.......the stuff tasted awful ! Okay, maybe not awful, as much as it seemed watery and tasteless.
Then my daughter got me a Vitamix for Mother's Day, and one of the recipe suggestions was for making almond or coconut milk.
When we went to Sam's club, I got a bag of almonds, soaked some overnight, and the next day I blended the daylights out of them in the Vitamix, just like the instructions said to do.
This resulted in a much creamier almond milk, and after that, I experimented by adding whey protein powder (almond milk is lower in whole protein than dairy milk), and also sweetening it a little bit more with some Splenda
I tried making chocolate almond milk, and vanilla almond milk, and also using it in smoothies and even some in my coffee.
While I do still prefer cream in my coffee, over-all, I am pleased with how the almond milk turns out, and how simple it is to make it fresh.
Aside from the protein content, almond milk is high in calcium, magnesium, and has over 12 grams of fiber in less than a half of a cup.
Of course, you can also get the benefit from all of these nutrients just from eating the almonds; but if you are looking for a low-calorie, low-carb milk substitute, almond milk is worth giving a try.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/seed-and-nut/health-benefits-of-almonds.html

Since I only use the almond milk for my cereal, I was thinking of playing around with it and making a healthy frozen treat. Maybe add a banana, peanut butter, etc. I wouldn't add much liquid, just enough to mix the almonds.

How do you think this would freeze, HappyFlowerLady?

Back