Amazon food shops, no checkout just walk out without paying......

Here where I live on the edge of London, the Amazon home
delivery groceries are all from Morrison's Supermarket, last
week I went there and there were more people wearing the
Prime Logo on their jackets than there were normal customers,
several in most aisles.

Mike.

Here where I live on the edge of London, the Amazon home
delivery groceries are all from Morrison's Supermarket, last
week I went there and there were more people wearing the
Prime Logo on their jackets than there were normal customers,
several in most aisles.

Mike.
yes up till now all the supermarket grocery deliveries were carried out from Morrisons' via Amazon, but this is an actual supermarket, bricks and mortar store... in London.. where you can walk in do your shopping as normal and have it charged to your Amazon account...

There has been some talk about them in cities like New York but nothing in my area.

It's not much different than shopping online, paying for gas at the pump, or using an ATM.

I suppose someday it will be the norm but it feels like another little wedge between the haves and the have-nots.

pp-rich-and-poor-800.jpg

Well I would use it if I was still working in the city. Grocery deliveries whether through the normal Supermarket delivery to your door, or through the dedicated Morrison supermarket through Amazon, ( all cost a fee).. and are very handy if you're home to take delivery, but working long hours for some people in the city will mean easier access to groceries if they can just pop into the store on the way home or during lunch hour .. even if they have no physical money or card with them...

I think it will be a Niche market and probably go largely ignored by the majority ..

Last edited:
There's an Amazon Fresh not far from where I live. I've never been though. They probably have some sort of spooky way to tell if someone has an Amazon account or is a shoplifter. I can see this being the wave of the future because people hate to have to wait in lines to check out.
Your Amazon account needs to be stored on your phone, you zap your phone as you enter the store... then shop as you would normally, and leave.. there are no checkouts!!

There's a little video on the link I posted ..(y)

"Amazon Go draws high interest from U.S. shoppers

Piplsay poll finds 59% see Go cashierless stores as threat to Walmart, Kroger

Of those polled by Piplsay, only 28% said they’ve actually gone to an Amazon Go, and 20% reported that they never heard of the store. However, 54% of consumers who visited an Amazon Go described their experience as “excellent,” and 35% thought it was “good.”

Meanwhile, 57% said they would be “excited” if an Amazon Go or similar cashierless, artificial intelligence-driven store opened in their neighborhood. Of the 26% not interested in having an Amazon Go in their area, half said they prefer regular stores and half favor online shopping. Another 17% said they’re “not sure” about the Amazon Go concept.

By gender, 54% of men said they would be excited to have Amazon Go or similar technology-enabled stores near them, compared with 46% of women."

Amazon Go article

Well I would use it if I was still working in the city. Grocery deliveries whether through the normal Supermarket delivery to yuor door, or through the dedicated Morrison supermarket through Amazon, ( all cost a fee).. and are very handy if you're home to take delivery, but working long hours for some people in the city will mean easier access to groceries if they can just pop into the store on the way home or during lunch hour .. even if they have no physical money or card with them...

I think it will be a Niche market and probably go largely ignored by the majority ..
I hope so. Getting rid of humans is Jeff Bezos' main ambition in life. We don't have them where I live. I would shop elsewhere if I had little alternative between them and other grocers. They ruined Whole Foods which Amazon took over in 2017. It's sad. And to think of all the people who would lose their jobs!

I hope so. Getting rid of humans is Jeff Bezos' main ambition in life. We don't have them where I live. I would shop elsewhere if I had little alternative between them and other grocers. They ruined Whole Foods which Amazon took over in 2017. It's sad. And to think of all the people who would lose their jobs!
perhaps all those people who lose their jobs in stores due to Amazon and Jeff Bezos... might be given a job paying higher wages in an Amazon warehouse...:sneaky:,

There are a couple Amazon Fresh supermarkets in the Houston area. I've never been in them though.

I still prefer to shop Fresh online, and have them deliver to me ... can be set up for one or two hour delivery and that works fine.
They also have the store pickup option.

perhaps all those people who lose their jobs in stores due to Amazon and Jeff Bezos... might be given a job paying higher wages in an Amazon warehouse...:sneaky:,
Their main warehouse is largely automated. Auto-drive forklifts, dolly-carts and conveyor belts do a lot of the work. Actual people do the boxing and shipping....until something better comes along.

Some of the people are doing this in San Francisco, but unlike what your link describes, there is no bill to follow. They just walk in with a garbage bag, pack what they want and walk out with free goods. As long they don’t steal over a thousand dollars worth of goods, they don’t call the cops. Shoplifting was decriminalized.

https://abc7news.com/sf-shoplifting-retail-theft-in-san-francisco-crime-chesa-boudin/10902027/
Shoplifting was decriminalized.??? What ?..why ?.. and why would anyone bother then to even own a store now if they can have up to 1k of goods stolen from them every day or several times a day..?..and why doesn't everyone steal instead of buying if it's not a criminal act ? 😲😲

Shoplifting was decriminalized.??? What ?..why ?.. and why would anyone bother then to even own a store now if they can have up to 1k of goods stolen from them every day or several times a day..?..and why doesn't everyone steal instead of buying if it's not a criminal act ? 😲😲
Yeah. It has come to this.

Back