An obituary brought back a memory

rkunsaw

I saw in the local onits that Carl ad died. He was 79 years old. I'll be 79 in 2 weeks. I only knew Carl for a short time during our senior year in high school. I went to Fort Smith High School and Carl went to our biggest rival just across the river, Van Buren High School. We both worked at the big Kroger store after school and on weekends.

There was a fierce rivalry in all sports, especially football. About a week before the big game Carl told me that he and some others had sneaked onto the football field and used salt to write VB in big letters in the middle of the field. Carl laughed about it all week. I kept looking at the field every day at schooland sure enough by the end of the week it really showed up.

Back then rivalries were fun. Just two sides trying to outdo each other, The Fort Smith High School folks were a bit upset about them killing the grass in such a manner but I never told on Carl.

At this age I look for the obituaries of those I have lost touch with. I am sadden by the losses. Or I look up to see if I can find an obituary of one person and discover that several others in their families have died. It's harder to do that with women, because of the name changes. Women are lost to me that way. Yes, some of the memories come flooding in, and I realize how important those people were to me.

I graduated from high school, in 1964. I bought a huge can of paint. And in the middle of the night, I painted a great big "64" in the parking lot. It took up most of the lot. This was a Catholic school, and the rectory was right next to the parking lot. At Mass that Sunday, I expected to hear about the sin of graffiti, etc; but nothing. Not one word!!!!! I couldn't figure that out. That Monday, they repaved the parking lot. I blew all my money on the first can of paint, so I couldn't do it again. One thing though, in a thousand years, some archeologist is going to uncover a huge "64".

I graduated from high school, in 1964. I bought a huge can of paint. And in the middle of the night, I painted a great big "64" in the parking lot. It took up most of the lot. This was a Catholic school, and the rectory was right next to the parking lot. At Mass that Sunday, I expected to hear about the sin of graffiti, etc; but nothing. Not one word!!!!! I couldn't figure that out. That Monday, they repaved the parking lot. I blew all my money on the first can of paint, so I couldn't do it again. One thing though, in a thousand years, some archeologist is going to uncover a huge "64".
Fuzzybuddy, your name is another reminder. Our school principal was Earl Farnsworth, He had short gray hair and was known as Fuzzy Farnsworth. Every year someone would climb on the stadium and paint the unofficial name of the school FUZZY'S FUN HOUSE.

Back