Another 1950's Meal Like My Mother Made

Meanderer

Supreme Member
Sally Gasco (short for "gas company") and her mother make tuna rarebit for their young boy guests. Thanks to their gas stove, this process is quick and easy.

Last edited:
Great period piece!

My first house had a stove similar to the one in the video. Mine had covers that you could place over the burners when the stove was off and lift and slide down the back of the stove when you were ready to cook!

Yes, that too! But never baked, only boiled.

In the winter my grandmother served baked potatoes almost every night.

We ate in her kitchen and after the food came out of the oven she turned it off and opened the oven door to help take the chill off of the kitchen while we ate.

It was the way that all of our neighbors lived not because we were poor but because it made sense.

I miss those days!

For years I never knew ground beef patties could be put on a bun and made into a sandwich. I thought they were always supposed to be covered with gravy. :)
Maybe that's why I have a fondness for these:

e221cc8ed56301b31466e81026fbb47f.png

And left over *mashed* potatoes would be made into potato cakes and fried for breakfast, or dinner the next night.

[h=1]Yankee Codfish in Gravy[/h] by Amy Harris ; Updated September 28, 2017

Potatoes are a common accompaniment to Yankee Codfish in Gravy.

Yankee Codfish in Gravy was an early American recipe. Cod was plentiful in colonial times. The Grand Banks off the coast of Newfoundland were a nearby source, making this a common dish in coastal New England and the mid-Atlantic states.
[h=2]Cod[/h]According to What's Cooking America, Northern Europeans had been fishing the Grand Banks for centuries but it wasn’t until the late 1400s that fishing there expanded to a large scale. Abundant and cheap, cod quickly became a staple food in the diets of the residents of the northern colonies.
[h=2]Ingredients[/h]Yankee Codfish in Gravy consists of salted cod boiled in water and topped with a white sauce. The ingredients of the sauce are two tbsp. each of butter and flour, one cup milk and one egg.

[h=2]Directions[/h]Boil the cod until desired tenderness. Lightly beat the egg and set aside. On the stove over low heat combine butter and flour, then add milk, stirring constantly until thick. Stir in beaten egg.
[h=2]Side Dishes[/h]Yankee Codfish in Gravy was often served with boiled potatoes.

My mother did make this, but with canned salmon and toast.

My dad had to have meat, potatoes and gravy or rice and gravy every night along with some kind of peas or beans. Cornbread was the bread and milk was the beverage. On Sundays we would have a dessert. Usually home made banana pudding or rice pudding. Mama cooked what daddy liked and we either ate it or did with out. Never had a sandwich until we started school. We had peanut butter and honey sandwiches and I thought I was in heaven! Mama cooked 3 meals a day and that was it.

I remember my mother made...

Shepherds Pie (cooked ground beef, Campbell's tomato soup, and green beens topped with mashed potato)
Sauerbraten (German Pot Roast but a pickled flavor going on...no we weren't German)
Typical Meatloaf, Pot Roast, Spaghetti, roasted Chicken

Cheesecake from scratch
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Lime Jello Pie with cottage cheese mixed in, Graham cracker crust (wish I had the recipe...maybe my sisters have it)
Fudge, Peanut Brittle

...and healthy Soups in the Pressure cooker. My Grandmother came for Christmas and forgot to put the heavy metal cap on the top of the pressure cooker when making her soup and it exploded all over the kitchen including the ceiling.

With cooler weather coming I thought of this dessert recipe from the late 50's early 60's. It was probably from a magazine originally but I've seen many variations of it in old church cookbooks. It's nice to have on a cold night when you are making an oven meal like meatloaf and baked potatoes.

CRUNCH

1 cup AP flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick of butter or margarine
1 can of fruit pie filling

Mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar. Melt butter and add to the dry ingredients.
Use half of the mixture on the bottom of a pie pan or small casserole. Add can of pie filling. Top with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

You can add some cinnamon, nutmeg, nuts, etc. It depends on your taste and the type of fruit pie filling. These days I cut the sugar back to 1/4 cup and actually use a sugar substitute also the good folks at Walmart offer a no sugar added canned apple or cherry pie filling

Last edited:
With cooler weather coming I thought of this dessert recipe from the late 50's early 60's. It was probably from a magazine originally but I've seen many variations of it in old church cookbooks. It's nice to have on a cold night when you are making an oven meal like meatloaf and baked potatoes.

CRUNCH

1 cup AP flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick of butter or margarine
1 can of fruit pie filling

Mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar. Melt butter and add to the dry ingredients.
Use half of the mixture on the bottom of a pie pan or small casserole. Add can of pie filling. Top with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

You can add some cinnamon, nutmeg, nuts, etc. It depends on your taste and the type of fruit pie filling. These days I cut the sugar back to 1/4 cup and actually use a sugar substitute also the good folks at Walmart offer a no sugar added canned apple or cherry pie filling
Sounds easy enough!

Back