Another Example of Our Pathetic Justice System. Mother is Forced to Kill Armed Intruder

The link I listed has state laws quoted. It is easy to compare some with the statutes to see if they are up to date.

In most states, in order to justify shooting and killing an intruder, one must prove that the intruder has gained entrance to one's abode. Some police will tell those who apply for weapons permits, to be sure that if you shoot anyone on your doorstep, be certain he falls inward and not outward.
That doesn't apply due to modern investigative techniques.
Besides, I wouldn't care how he falls; as long as he falls.

That doesn't apply due to modern investigative techniques.
Besides, I wouldn't care how he falls; as long as he falls.
I'll say this much...

If a person is pushed into a situation where they honestly believe that they're either going to be severely beaten and/or killed, they're going to have to decide to take action, or not, regardless of any nuances in the law.

Me, I just can't see myself becoming a victim if there's any way I can prevent it, and this covers my family, too. If I honestly think it's a life threat, I'll do what I can and take the legal consequences.

I see no choice in the matter, so far as I'm concerned.

That said, I've made it my life's work to try to never get into any such situation, and I fully expect this to continue, but...

YES! YES! YES! If an armed intruder was trying to break into my home, I would shoot him and drag him inside.
We MUST UPHOLD the Constitution of the United States!
Back in the 70's there was a rash of break-ins some involving assaults on residents in Honolulu a police officer we knew told one of my housemates that if they shot an attempted intruder, be sure they dragged them inside before calling police-because the way the law read there at the time it was only considered 'standing your ground' if they actually were inside. The laws vary on this from state to state even now. And of course prosecutors have a lot of discretion.

At least one perp was caught because he broke a pane out of window in back door to reach thru and unlock a back door. Unfortunately for him the lady of the house was ironing within a few step of the door. When he reached through she applied the hot iron to his forearm. He ran away screaming. she called police and he was arrested when he sought treatment for the severe burn. The prosecutor could have quibbled that he wasn't actually inside when she burned him--but felt her right to protect herself and household was more important.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwixqfjU8r_8AhX4OkQIHcdvA_YQFnoECAwQAQ&url=https://www.cbsnews.com/news/louisiana-mother-kills-home-invasion-suspect-robert-rheams-hammond/&usg=AOvVaw3eM-L4q9fTUDxWrpp1QMue

A mother home with her two young children “exercised her right to protect herself” by fatally shooting an intruder armed with a shovel.
A Louisiana mum shot a man dead after he broke into her house while she was home with her two young children on Sunday, police said.
The suspect, Robert Rheams, allegedly broke into the home on Klein Road in Tangipahoa Parish, armed with a shovel and tyre iron in the early hours, the local sheriff’s office said.

Rheams, 51, and the woman got into a physical scuffle after she found him inside her home. During the struggle, she fatally shot him around 5am, according to Chief Jimmy Travis.

The home intruder, who was out on parole after serving two decades in prison for armed robbery, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators said he was also the suspect in a carjacking hours before he broke into the family’s home.

There have been no arrests and Travis said it appears that the woman was “exercising her Second Amendment rights to protect herself and her children from a violent home invasion”.
High time someone stood up for their rights instead being "Politically Correct" and maybe give this guy a glass of milk and cookies to show that the lady "loves" him. Twisted humour? Not really! Just the way it is!

Yes, always find something negative when a mother saves her life & the lives of her children because she used a.......gun. The nerve! How dare she!
How awful that she didn't let the intruder do whatever he wanted; after all, he had rights, too!
If I were her, I'd be glad I'd managed to save my kids and myself. I wouldn't want my kids to be motherless. I may feel badly about having to kill someone, but I doubt I would feel anything but grateful that my kids were saved.

If I had chosen not defend myself and my family, that I would feel terribly guilty about. In a situation like that, it's not like one has time to sit down and consider all of the ramifications of one's actions. Likely, most mothers would defend their children and themselves. Not out of conscious choice, either. After all, what else is one to do?

Back in the 70's there was a rash of break-ins some involving assaults on residents in Honolulu a police officer we knew told one of my housemates that if they shot an attempted intruder, be sure they dragged them inside before calling police-because the way the law read there at the time it was only considered 'standing your ground' if they actually were inside. The laws vary on this from state to state even now. And of course prosecutors have a lot of discretion.

At least one perp was caught because he broke a pane out of window in back door to reach thru and unlock a back door. Unfortunately for him the lady of the house was ironing within a few step of the door. When he reached through she applied the hot iron to his forearm. He ran away screaming. she called police and he was arrested when he sought treatment for the severe burn. The prosecutor could have quibbled that he wasn't actually inside when she burned him--but felt her right to protect herself and household was more important.
An example of proportionate level of violence in an obvious case of self defence.
Perfectly allowable under Australian law and charges would not be made against her.

Another Example of Our Pathetic Justice System. Mother is Forced to Kill Armed Intruder.

Just an FYI. There are some states in the U.S. that have a Duty-to-Retreat law. I believe this means a person must use all proper means of escape before resorting to physical combat.
This is pure nonsense. Any attacker should meet his fate and this is to be executed.

If I were her, I'd be glad I'd managed to save my kids and myself. I wouldn't want my kids to be motherless. I may feel badly about having to kill someone, but I doubt I would feel anything but grateful that my kids were saved.

If I had chosen not defend myself and my family, that I would feel terribly guilty about. In a situation like that, it's not like one has time to sit down and consider all of the ramifications of one's actions. Likely, most mothers would defend their children and themselves. Not out of conscious choice, either. After all, what else is one to do?
I would not feel badly for removing scum from the earth, that's for sure.

Back