Another scare story

Capt Lightning

Never let the truth get in the way of a story.
One of the daily papers had a front page spread on the news that a glass of sugary drink or fruit juice a day could cause cancer. This also appeared on CNN.

The real story was that some research from France had found an association between the consumption of drinks containing sugar and an increased risk of cancer.

" However, this study is observational and doesn't show cause and effect.
That's a major limitation, researchers say, as it's impossible to determine whether the association is due to a type of beverage or another hidden health issue."

There is also the potentially misleading reporting in the actual risk. For example if the incidence of cancer was 10 cases per 1000 people over 5 years and is something increases that risk by 20% - sounds dramatic, but it means an extra 2 cases per 1000 people in the same period.

You have to take some stories with a pinch of salt - which of course is also bad for you.

yes I read that too , Capt... I'm pleased you've put it into perspective. I rarely drink any fizzy drinks these days but my o/h does.he has it in his whisky every night ... so I was a little concerned

Back