Any grooming practices you use based on seeing older people when you were growing up?

asp3

I'm wondering if anyone else took what they didn't like seeing in older people and used that to include grooming practices they might otherwise have not been aware of.

I personally have a few. I really disliked seeing older men with out of control eyebrows, ear hair or nose hair. As a result every other week or so I check to make sure my hair in those areas is well groomed.

I also used to be embarrassed by what my father would wear out sometimes especially if he had been working in the yard or on the house and had to take a trip to the hardware store for something. I try to make sure I have decent clothing on when I go to such stores.

What an interesting question.

The first memories that come to mind are ladies with grey hair tinted pale blue when I was a kid. Now days odd colored hair is the norm.

Old ladies wearing orthopedic shoes back in the day, and now even young people actually wear ugly shoes.

Old ladies with unkempt nails bugged me, and now fingernails are an art form, and blue polish no longer means a lack of oxygen.

The only thing I can think of is old women used to wear heavy cologne instead of bathing. not good.
and as soon as they turned 60 or so, they dressed "ole lady" and cut their hair short, put on glasses and weight. They wanted to look their age. it was as though they "gave up" and comfortably settled into "old age." leisure suits, matched jogging sweats, grey hair.

males, never pull your pants up to your breast
It's a new trend in 2020.

cl200713.gif

I also used to be embarrassed by what my father would wear out sometimes especially if he had been working in the yard or on the house and had to take a trip to the hardware store for something. I try to make sure I have decent clothing on when I go to such stores.
So, let me get this straight.....
You're working on something, and to finish or proceed, you need to go to the hardware store

Yeah, everybody dresses up to go to the hardware store.....

So......you, obviously washup, change to clean clothes....go to the hardware store.....go back home......change back to your work clothes?

Magnificent

Last edited:
You're working on something, and to finish or proceed, you need to go to the hardware store

So......you, obviously washup, change to clean clothes....go to the hardware store.....go back home......change back to your work clothes?

Magnificent
That would be like dressing up to go to the laundromat. LOL

Magnificent

Maybe you would have thrown away the holey worn out clothing my dad used to wear while working in the yard. It's not so much a matter of being dusty or dirty as it was showing skin where it shouldn't be shown.

I will sometimes put on a different shirt or different pants (depending on how many and where the holes are) before going to the hardware store. It isn't a matter of dressing up as it is a minimal standard I have for myself when I go out in public.

Maybe you would have thrown away the holey worn out clothing my dad used to wear while working in the yard. It's not so much a matter of being dusty or dirty as it was showing skin where it shouldn't be shown.

I will sometimes put on a different shirt or different pants (depending on how many and where the holes are) before going to the hardware store. It isn't a matter of dressing up as it is a minimal standard I have for myself when I go out in public.
If I am going to the hardware store (Home Depot etc) with my husband he will now ask if he needs to change his shirt. If it’s after lunch, the answer is always yes. 😂 I figure the employees are not interested in seeing what he had for lunch.

I told myself years ago that when I got old I would take a shower every day, whether I thought I needed it or not. This was after having been around a relative was always saying, "I don't need a shower do, I didn't do anything today". Oh yes, he did need that shower.

Times change....some of today's young people pay a small fortune for a pair of jeans with holes in the knees, etc.

You're right...it appears that his last post was July, 2021.....I just responded due to recent posts in this topic.
yes, I realise the thread's here for everyone to still post, but I thought I'd let you guys know just in case you may have been wondering why there's no response from the OP>>.. yes he said all his farewells, and that the forum was not for him..so it looks like he'll never return

Back