Any "Hippies" on board?

The only two ways I'm aware of whereby you could play a record backwards back in the day (pre-computers) was reversing the polarity of the drive motor on a direct-drive turntable (or giving a half-twist to the belt on a belt-driven one), or recording on tape and then reversing that.

I used both methods - the tape method was a heck of a lot easier on the vinyl. :D

I never thought of those methods. I generally would spin a wooden top backwards, place the record on top and then use a sewing needle attached to a paper cone and try to listen! "eeeeeevvvooolllll eeeemmmmmm eeeeeevvvooolllll" If super glue had only been invented then I would have had a better chance of keeping the record on that stupid top!

Last edited:
LOL everyone...loving these comments! :)
Although I'm 56, I consider myself an 'old hippie'. Even my son calls me that at times to tease me, LOL. I remember being incensed when my parents wouldn't let me go to Woodstock with my older cousins...hey I was 13 when it happened but I couldn't figure out why my parents said "NO, you're far too young to go, are you crazy??" (yes, I am) :D I know that I was too young to actually 'live' the hippie lifestyle of the 60s like my older cousins did, but I guess I just liked everything about hippies, starting from when I was a teen.

But I agree with Steve when he says that those kind of "hippies" have come and almost gone.. Today's hippie is sort of different to the ones we had...that's true. I did have to laugh at an acquaintance of my husband, who was 28 years old, wore nothing but tie-dye, smoked pot incessantly, and listened to the Grateful Dead constantly. He considered himself a 'hippie' to the max, claimed he knew everything about them. But he was very unfamiliar with Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters, Timothy Leary, the Summer of Love, etc. :D He was a great guy though, I guess his heart was in the right place as to how he wanted to live his life. :D

I think my hippie roots show every so often. I still listen to the Grateful Dead and I still ride a motorcycle. (But I have truck too). Still have a beard. I have had a beard in some form or other for so long I honestly don't know what I would look with without it. Left leaning politics generally as well. Yeah some of the traits show under the right circumstances.
Ryder13

When I was in Vietnam, I made friends with some other surfers I met who were wearing love beads under their fatigues. We called ourselves Freaks in Disguise.

Back