Any suggestion for Canadian holiday?

Capt Lightning

Next year, it's our 50th. Wedding anniversary so a special holiday would be nice. Mrs. L says that she's always wanted to see Canada, but we have no idea where. We like a mix of city break and countryside, so maybe a two centre break. Any ideas?

Next year, it's our 50th. Wedding anniversary so a special holiday would be nice. Mrs. L says that she's always wanted to see Canada, but we have no idea where. We like a mix of city break and countryside, so maybe a two centre break. Any ideas?

You might consider eastern Canada, say, Toronto and/or Ottawa for a city experience .. then, the east coast.
All I can suggest, is, research first!

Wow! I just looked up where you live. That's really out there in terms of distance to an international airport I believe?

Where do you plan to fly out of? This is important if you don't want to take a second, connecting flight once you arrive in Canada. If you fly out of Glasgow, either Toronto or Vancouver are your choices of non-stop flights. If you fly out of Heathrow then you can add Montreal to the list of Canadian airports that you can fly into non-stop.

All these major cities will offer you and your bride a fabulous array of sights and activities, both city & rural.

Here's a snapshot of the possibilities for each:
Montreal - lots to see and do in Montreal itself. The 'old' part of the city is a fabulous area to shop around with a vast array of excellent restaurants. From Montreal you could hire a car and head to Quebec City, not exactly rural but a both fascinating and historical city along the St. Lawrence River all contained in a small, walkable area - GREAT eateries there too! These areas are primarily French speaking although in the tourist areas, you'll have no problem getting along with English - just bring your 'tourist $$' lol.

(Quebec City)
Quebec City.jpg

Toronto - Again, lots to do in the city core. Museum, world class aquarium, the CN Tower and sports facility Skydome (Rogers Centre) where you could catch a major league baseball game (I know, you don't follow baseball or know the rules but it's about the experience - not the game itself :) Tons of great eateries or even grab some street meat off vendor carts as you stroll the city. For your more rural spot - hire a car and head down to the Niagara area! (2 hour drive one way). Not only Niagara Falls to see there but an area called 'Niagara On The Lake'. An area filled with wineries and more grape vineyards than you've likely ever seen. Lots of fruit orchards.

(Skydome)
IMG_2252.jpg

(Niagara Falls)
IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_1212.jpg
Vancouver - Also a fabulous city with tons of sights and things to do within the city itself or you could hop over to Vancouver Island by ferry from there too and poke around the Island which is a little more rural outside of it's capitol Victoria but if you choose Vancouver then you MUST hire a car and drive up through the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Yet yourselves up to Banff and Jasper. Stunning scenery of the likes you'll see nowhere else. A trip to Canada's west cost without seeing the Rockies would be a travesty!

(Moraine Lake - near Lake Louise Alta.)
Moraine Lake 1.jpg

As @Pinky mentioned, Canada's east coast is a great place as well. Most friendly, welcoming people you could ever meet and if you want to gorge your on fresh lobster and other seafood for a week or so your could fly into Toronto then catch a connecting flight to Halifax Nove Scotia and use that as your city base. Hire a car and drive around Atlantic Canada or do the Cabot Trail drive in Cape Breton (about a 2 day trip from Halifax to do the whole trip by car). Lots of Scottish heritage in Nova Scotia & Cape Breton area too!

Sorry for the long winded offering but hey, Canada's a big place so this is really just the short story version lol :LOL: Hope there's at least some 'food for thought' here for you!

Thanks for your responses. Yes, it is a big place and that's why we would have to narrow it down a bit.

Actually, I'm not far from Aberdeen international airport, although it mostly serves Europe. Nevertheless, from there I can fly via. Manchester, Heathrow or Amsterdam to almost anywhere.
Glasgow and Edinburgh airports are about 3 1/2 hours drive.

An interesting link between here and Canada. George Stephen, The first president of the Canadian Pacific railrway, came from Banff in Scotland - just a short drive from here. Banff in Canada was named after this.

The nicest "road trip" we ever took was through Western Canada. There is a "triangle" from Edmonton, to Kamloops to Calgary that has the nicest mountain scenery in N. America. Edmonton is a real nice city, with a huge shopping center. Driving that route requires a bit of caution due to the number of elk, moose, and mountain goats that also use the roadways.

Just got back from a week visiting Vancouver Island, it is truly an amazing place. I recommended it highly.

Banff and Jasper are also places I have been and highly recommend.

@MrPants did a good job of describing both.
isn't it funny what people like?.. My husband spent 6 months in Banff, Lake Louise etc, working .. and hated all of it... I don't want to upset my Canadian friends saying what he thought of the people, but he wasn't complementary...

I so wanted to visit that area because it's got to be one of the wonders of the world in terms of Beauty, but he would never even hear of going again....and despite Canada being the HUGE place that it is, his experience coloured this thoughts about the whole of Canada..

I would rent a car and spend a little city time in Montreal and Quebec then head around the Gaspe to Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and back around to Quebec/Montreal.

If you don’t want to rent a car I would do a deep dive into one of the major cities. Toronto, Montreal and Quebec all have a nice mix of old and new.

@Mr Pants gave a great overview.
How much time will you have for this trip?
What season?
Niagara Falls is a given if you decide on the Toronto area.
It's only an idea at the moment, but it seems like a good one. Time, probably 10-14 days, season - Autumn. ideally September. I've always organised our own holidays, but I might look at what package deals are on offer.

My husband spent 6 months in Banff, Lake Louise etc, working .. and hated all of it... I don't want to upset my Canadian friends saying what he thought of the people, but he wasn't complementary...
Too bad and not my experience, but I could hazard a guess as to what your husband experienced.

Banff and the Lake Louise area remind me in some ways of Jackson Hole and the Tetons in the US. Both beautiful places that draw a lot of tourists and tourist money. Long ago I lived for a few years near Jackson. My observation was that people tended to fall into a few categories, tourists were the vast majority, then people who worked in the tourist industry making money off of the tourists, and then the smallest group, the true locals. That can be a hard "society" to fit into, I know a lot of people who would have said the same about the locals in the Jackson Hole area. Maybe your husband experienced something similar?
it's got to be one of the wonders of the world in terms of Beauty
Absolutely it is! Go, even if the people are not to your liking the place will more than make up for that. And I suspect you and the Captain would fit in fine.

Oh, and one important difference between the Jackson Hole area and Banff. While both are impressive and worth seeing I found the size, diversity and expanse of it all much greater in Banff - more impressive.

Too bad and not my experience, but I could hazard a guess as to what your husband experienced.

Banff and the Lake Louise area remind me in some ways of Jackson Hole and the Tetons in the US. Both beautiful places that draw a lot of tourists and tourist money. Long ago I lived for a few years near Jackson. My observation was that people tended to fall into a few categories, tourists were the vast majority, then people who worked in the tourist industry making money off of the tourists, and then the smallest group, the true locals. That can be a hard "society" to fit into, I know a lot of people who would have said the same about the locals in the Jackson Hole area. Maybe your husband experienced something similar?

Absolutely it is! Go, even if the people are not to your liking the place will more than make up for that. And I suspect you and the Captain would fit in fine.

Oh, and one important difference between the Jackson Hole area and Banff. While both are impressive and worth seeing I found the size, diversity and expanse of it all much greater in Banff - more impressive.
I can't go now..not on my own.. now he's gone..and anyway he never ever wanted to go again, it's not an exaggeration to say he would have gouged his owb eyes out first. I have to say.. he was working there as a member of a British Film crew, so it's not even like he had to work for any Canadians, but he really hated everything.. including the food..

You didn't say if you were driving or flying, taking a cruise, what?
Al you get to see from a ship is eagles and whales.
The mountains take your breath away!
If you drive, Well, I've never been to Eastern Canada, but I've
driven the Alcan several times and it's INCREDIBLE!
Dawson, Whitehorse, Skagway, into Tok and on into Alaska!
You get to experience THE REAL Alaska! Meet the folks!
Just my opinion.
It's so wonderful you get to do this! Have fun!

I am attaching 2 trip stories. One is from Western Canada, The other from Eastern Canada. They will give you a flavor of both sides of that beautiful country.

Attachments

• Western Canada 2015.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • CANADA 2011 short.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. on Banff @Capt Lightning. I didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me. There's a lot of Scottish influence in Canada's history.

The sleepy little town of Pictou Nova Scotia for instance on the east coast. The ship Hector landed there in 1773 which started a wave of Scottish immigrants headed for Nova Scotia.
In fact the Provincial name Nova Scotia is derived from the Latin term 'New Scotland'.

IMG_1724.jpg

In Pictou they are actually building a replica of the Ship Hector that brought those first Scottish people to our shores!
IMG_1741.jpg

@Capt Lightning CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming anniversary.
I think it’s wonderful that you may be celebrating with a trip to Canada.
So many have given you great suggestions…..so many eye catching places to see.
Good luck in making your decision.

Back