Anybody else do jigsaws?

CarolfromTX

Dave and I started doing jigsaw puzzles long before the Covid, but after we retired. Because . . . August in Texas. We didn't want to get out in the heat, and now we can't get out much, heat or no heat, so I have spent a small fortune on jigsaws. The good news is that we have friends who are also puzzlers, so we exchange puzzles. And what the heck else do I have to spend money on? New clothes? Not if I'm stuck at home. Vacations? Um, nope. I do buy books for my kindle, usually the cheap kind.

I'm the same as @Aunt Bea , used to do them years ago.. but eventually I really had nowhere to do them, unless I did them on a board which I would have to push under the sofa.. but I did used to like doing them.

Did you know the Queen is a great jigsaw fan,?.. By all accounts she always has a 5000 piece Jigsaw on the huge hall table, and just like Bea's Granny, anyone who visits is invited to add a piece .. :D

I use an old computer program called Jixxa. It allows you to make puzzles out of any digital image, cut/recut the puzzle, and other things. Lots of fun. :)

Edited to add: Jixxa is not an "online" puzzle program. It can be run on your computer even if you're not online.

Last edited:
I used to do jigsaw puzzles with my mom all the time. Mom had one on the go more often than not over the winter months. She'd play around for hours at a time, with some puzzles taking her weeks upon weeks to complete (the really complicated and large ones).

When I lost my mom, I lost my will to carry-on doing jigsaw puzzles, and to this day whenever I pass the toy isle with boxes of jigsaw puzzles, I feel sad.

The only time I spent much time doing jigsaws was when my niece was getting treatments for cancer. The waiting areas for chemotherapy and radiation and also the oncologists offices had big tables with huge jigsaw puzzles on them for people waiting for patients getting treatments. It was a great idea and the "waiters," including me, would gather around and work on a puzzle together and then when they left others would take up where others had left off. As each puzzle was completed -- sometimes it took days -- the clinics would put new ones out.

I'm not very good at it, but it was a good way to pass the time doing something but worrying or staring into space or reading magazines from 1955. I think it was very thoughtful of the clinics to put the puzzles out for people to have something to do while waiting for long periods.

I enjoy puzzles that I find fun. If they get too difficult I get more frustration than enjoyment. We did a few at the start of Covid and I enjoyed them. I like the ones with cartoon like settings or ones with a lot of old things such as toy packaging. That way there's enough to figure out where things go.

One place we like to do puzzles is on a cruise during the sea days. We've started to bring our own puzzles when we cruise and we leave them in the library or game room when we're done so that someone else can do them.

I'm a jigsaw gal too, have been all my life.
Always had one on the go, at family gatherings, for hours......we all loved doing them......must be in the blood.
My mom was the master, never a puzzle made, that she couldn't put together......about three days for 1000 or 1500 pieces.
Had quite a collection of them.
After mom had died, because i had found some great sites, online puzzles........so i donated the big inventory of puzzles to several foundations
of challenged adults.
They just loved them.

I've gotten back to my loved jigsaw puzzle hobby.
It's been quite a while since i've done an
And what do you think are my favorites.........that's a no brainer.........DOGS and BIRDS.
I find it very calming, keeps my brain in check........what's left of it.🤪😜😝😃
Time just disappears when i'm doing them.
I only do online ones now........there's so many amazing ones to do.
Have never been stumped by any till now.......don't know what it is about this particular one.......i am STUCK.
I've left it.......will continue it another time.
HAPPY PUZZLING.
What kinds do you like to do.

Back