Anyone here seen a chiropractor?

I have several herniated discs in my neck, and never went to a chiropractor. I did go to a physical therapist at first, who caused me so much pain I could not sleep. Never went to one again. Instead, I went to a doctor who diagnosed me (this was several years ago). The pain was also radiating down my arm. I changed my lifestyle. I stopped lifting heavy things. I slept on softer pillows. Took NSAIDs whenever the inflammation was bad, but nothing else. Over time, the pain went away.

I've never seen a chiropractor, but I do get full body massages on a monthly basis. I can tell when my therapist smooths out a knot in my neck or back because it hurts like **** when she does! She finds a knot and continually smooths it out until it is gone. Sometimes I wince, but I feel so much better afterward. Maybe start with that.

We prefer what is called 'Network Chiropractic'. It's very gentle, like acupressure - just the pressure of fingers. Had both standard and Network, and feel Network is much less extreme and harsh. However, note that like acupressure, the gentleness of the manipulation may mean you need a few additional treatments.

I have decided to stop going to the chiropractor for now, might go back but I want to try physical therapy instead.

I tried to make an appointment with a doctor at the spine care group associated with the clinic I used for my knees and shoulders. It was much easier to get an appointment with one of their nurse practitioners so I took that. I have generally been very happy with nurse practitioners in the past. Turns out the guy I got is unique. He spent 15 years as a practicing chiropractor then went back to school to get his nursing education. He's been with the spinal group for about 10 years now as a nurse practitioner, he no longer practices chiropractic. So lots of spinal experience and a unique insight into chiropractic. He ordered x-rays and MRI.

I saw the chiropractor just after the x-rays and MRI and showed him a copy of the report (report was by an MD at the hospital where the images were done). He was very down about my condition, emphasizing things like the "moderately severe" words in the report (posted in #30). He did not look at the images, said the report was all he needed. His conclusion was that I needed a lot more of his services to have any chance of recovery. A couple of days later I got a text from his office offering me gifts if I referred others to him... Got me suspicious.

Then I went back to the former chiropractor turned spinal NP, he had a very different take. First he looked at the images pretty carefully with me, he said he wanted to do that before looking at the report. He said much the same as the report, however he put a very different take on it. He said my "degeneration" was pretty normal aging and did not really look that bad. Said most folks my age without the pain would get a similar report. Then he spent a lot of time looking closely at the MRI and showed me a couple of my nerve channels coming out of the spine that were narrower than typical. They corresponded with the nerves that go my right shoulder, arm and neck where my pain is worst. He said he was pretty sure that was the source of my pain. He also said that with some physical therapy and the right exercises I had a very good chance of solving the problem. He wrote me a prescription for physical therapy and recommended a PT place that was not associated with his clinic, but close to my house. Then he said if that doesn't work in a month or I should come back, if it does we are done. No suggestion of gifts for referrals, or the need for lots of return visits...

I asked him about the chiropractor and what his take on how much good he doing was. He was careful not to be critical, but he said he doubted that the kind of things the chiropractor was doing would help a lot with my specific problem. Said going back was my choice, if it made me feel better then I should do it. Well so far the chiropractor only made me feel worse for a day or two afterwards....

So I am going to try the physical therapy route, fingers crossed. X-rays show my tooth implant well.

IMG-0001-00001.jpg

I notice that your report said you had narrowing or stenosis in your cervical spine. If I got a report like that I wouldn't think a chiropractor could help much either. Hopefully something the physio suggests helps more. My problems are with muscles and connective tissue, for me the chiropractor has been very helpful. Good luck.

My problem is with muscles also which is why chiropractic care helps. My chiropractor takes X-rays and reads them looking for an indication that the person may need a referral to a doctor. He is very good at what he does and very ethical. Unfortunately many are not. That’s what gives the occupation a bad reputation.

That's a good plan, Rob; back to PT and then assess the results.

If the results aren't great, I assume you'll consider surgery then? If so, ask that NP who should do the surgery. Just get his/her opinion. And if I were you, that's who I'd go with.

I think you'll be surprised at how effective surgery is. Back surgery was a life-changer for me. And recovery isn't bad at all. I suppose it depends on your physiology, but if you normally heal quickly from anything, even a cut on your finger, that will hold true for spinal surgery.

From my years of working with people with disabilities surgery would be my last option. I would only let a neurologist do the surgery. I have seen so many people worse off after surgery if they had an orthopedic surgeon do it.

If the results aren't great, I assume you'll consider surgery then? If so, ask that NP who should do the surgery. Just get his/her opinion. And if I were you, that's who I'd go with.
I am sure hoping for no surgery, but will use it as a last resort. Will try most everything else first. Good to know that recovery isn't too bad, don't want anything like my knee surgery again soon. My cuts heal alright. The NP works in the same medical
group who did my knee surgery, they have a couple of neurosurgeons who do back and neck surgery.
I notice that your report said you had narrowing or stenosis in your cervical spine. If I got a report like that I wouldn't think a chiropractor could help much either.
You know more about it than I did. And this is pretty much what the NP said, and being a former chiropractor he should know. My chiropractor on the other hand just seemed to see a long and lucrative future...
My problem is with muscles also which is why chiropractic care helps.
The former chiropractor now NP that I went to said he believes there are some things for which chiropractic was the best way to go, just not this one.
I would only let a neurologist do the surgery. I have seen so many people worse off after surgery if they had an orthopedic surgeon do it.
Thanks, that is good to know. I will keep it in mind.

Back