Anyone Invested In Utilities?

I already have sector ETFs in all the industries I care to invest in, I don't need mutuals for that. I may buy another ETF for utilities, that's about it, I prefer individual stocks for the rest of my portfolio.
with fidelity you have a choice , you can buy their sectors as etf's or as funds . they have sector funds that don't even exist as etf's .... so i prefer the sector funds when i do use them since you have a much wider choice than etf's .

LOL @mathjak107 - I'm beginning to wonder if you work for Fidelity, you sure promote ONLY Fidelity.

I just looked and when I'm ready and have the money, I will buy XLU if/when it implodes to $35 (50% off their 52week high of $71). End of this discussion for me, need to get off my ass and do a few things around here.

here is an example of AN OLD insight newsletter ....do not use it . it is outdated .

the select model is the sector funds . so back at that time those are the sectors in play .

i-6LBXK6W-X2.jpg

LOL @mathjak107 - I'm beginning to wonder if you work for Fidelity, you sure promote ONLY Fidelity.

I just looked and when I'm ready and have the money, I will buy XLU if/when it implodes to $35 (50% off their 52week high of $71). End of this discussion for me, need to get off my ass and do a few things around here.

nope never worked a day of my life in the financial industry . but i have been with fidelity over 30 years ... tried vanguard and dumped them for a few reasons

so total return doesnt matter to investors ? tell you what , i will pay anyone here more than the income from their dividend and since they don't care what the total return is i keep the principal ...after all only the income is a concern it seems here..

personally i fail to see the point of owning a stock like ppl vs just an s&p 500 fund ... the s&p fund has better total returns , less risk , less volatility and can provide higher income because of the greater total returns .

You need to take another look at my post. I reflected on what matters to me & my wife. No where at any time did I post that total return doesn't matter to investors. All I've done is present another view for those that have a long time ahead & maybe a desire to leave their heirs something. It's not advice it's only what I've done that works for me.

Money pays the bills it doesn't assure good health or happiness. Thankfully we enjoy good health & are happy because we have been together for 57 years with 25 of those together 24/7 for the last 25 in retirement. I wish you the same in your retirement years.

investing is only about risk vs return ...that is true no matter what the goal
no one wants or should take on more risk than is required for a desired return ...yet people do it all the time ...then they get burned eventually ..i am not picking on ppl in particular ... i am pointing out that for most small investors they do not understand the risks involved in what they buy

i mean in this case ppl has lost more than a 100% equity portfolio yet lagged in return for 15 years in comparison ..

most would be far better served in an index fund rather than trying to pick individual stocks blindly based on who knows what .

Last edited:
utilities have given back 5 years of gains in 4 weeks looking at the utility index xlu ...

Utility stocks dropped nearly 20% between last Tuesday and last Friday with many now down more than the s&p 500 or total market funds .

This has to be concerning to investors that bought these stocks as strong defensive plays or so they thought

there was an interesting article as to why .

"
Potential Issues: Declining Demand, Declining Returns On Equity
Interestingly, there's been (at least that I've seen) little discussion of the economic impact of the current situation on utility companies. Sure, some folks are considering the possibility of the government stopping utilities from collecting on past due clients for the duration of the crisis. That could hurt a bit on a marginal basis.

But zoom out. If the economy grinds to a halt for a few months, what happens to electricity usage? Over in the oil market, traders have quickly reacted to the slowdown by absolutely slamming the price of crude, and its refined products such as gasoline. Oil is more sensitive to the economy than electricity, as oil is the dominate transportation fuel. Most electricity uses, by contrast, aren't greatly impacted by a near-term economic slowdown.

Still, it probably isn't reasonable to think that electricity demand will remain steady. What do we have for data? I haven't seen much yet, but I did run across this interesting data point on New York City electricity usage. NYC is down to a fraction of it's daily usage .

There's a ton of caveats here, as it's just one city, the weather could be a factor, and so on. But there appears to be a sharp rollover that started in the week of March 16th:

Last edited:
utilities have given back 5 years of gains in 4 weeks looking at the utility index xlu ...

Utility stocks dropped nearly 20% between last Tuesday and last Friday.

This has to be concerning to investors that bought these stocks as strong defensive plays.

"
Potential Issues: Declining Demand, Declining Returns On Equity
Interestingly, there's been (at least that I've seen) little discussion of the economic impact of the current situation on utility companies. Sure, some folks are considering the possibility of the government stopping utilities from collecting on past due clients for the duration of the crisis. That could hurt a bit on a marginal basis.

But zoom out. If the economy grinds to a halt for a few months, what happens to electricity usage? Over in the oil market, traders have quickly reacted to the slowdown by absolutely slamming the price of crude, and its refined products such as gasoline. Oil is more sensitive to the economy than electricity, as oil is the dominate transportation fuel. Most electricity uses, by contrast, aren't greatly impacted by a near-term economic slowdown.

Still, it probably isn't reasonable to think that electricity demand will remain steady. What do we have for data? I haven't seen much yet, but I did run across this interesting data point on New York City electricity usage. NYC is down to a fraction of it's daily usage .

There's a ton of caveats here, as it's just one city, the weather could be a factor, and so on. But there appears to be a sharp rollover that started in the week of March 16th:

[/QUOTE]

Utility stocks dropped nearly 20% between last Tuesday and last Friday.

This has to be concerning to investors that bought these stocks as strong defensive plays.

==================================================================

The utilities we own will keep paying a nice dividend while we wait for the prices to come back.

..enjoy the drop with each payout..

it is only about total return -period .....
I love the total return on ALL the utilities we own.

You post "enjoy the drop with each payout.." You just do not get it after I tried to explain it...slow learner? Or a blind spot about dividends? I say both.

Hope for the best plan for the worst.

Ha ha ha yeah right ...... tell us what you own I want to see what there is to love
Thanks for asking . Three that I have owed over the years ...this increase does not include dividends..number from my brokerage firm .. they give the increases as there were many trades...

NEE up 273.62 %

AEP up 53.71 %

AWK up 148.07 %

----------

XEL up 16.98%...over less than 2 years

I love their total return.

Carry on.

total return wise they did fine if you were a longer term holder... in fact they were far better than the stock i was discussing which was PPL , as failing to see why one would want to own it .. but anyone who bought them recently as a place to hide got clobbered worse than the s&p 500 or total market , dividends included.

like all stocks in the market you need to look at each one individually ... you can't just say " utilities " like the subject because there are some real dogs in there . i can see zero reason for buying a PPL over an index fund ... i can see your picks though as they are fine .

total return wise they did fine if you were a longer term holder... in fact they were far better than the stock i was discussing which was PPL , as failing to see why one would want to own it .. but anyone who bought them recently as a place to hide got clobbered worse than the s&p 500 or total market , dividends included.

like all stocks in the market you need to look at each one individually ... you can't just say " utilities " like the subject because there are some real dogs in there . i can see zero reason for buying a PPL over an index fund ... i can see your picks though as they are fine .
". but anyone who bought them recently as a place to hide got clobbered worse than the s&p 500 or total market , dividends included."

Anyone that bought these stocks recently got good dividend paying stocks on sale. Not a bad thing to do.

The return was after the resent fell off, it was this morning.

What you keep posting..... I believe more than never, less than always.

i t is only about total return not dividends or not .there are poor dividend stocks and good dividend stocks the same as there are good and bad stocks that pay no dividends ...the return tells all as well as the risk vs reward for that return .. ...

a lower total return than an index fund that gets beat up more as soon as markets are in a down cycle is a poor stock choice -period .
again. your choices are fine but not all dividend payers are worth owning because they pay a dividend out . ..

Thanks for asking . Three that I have owed over the years ...this increase does not include dividends..number from my brokerage firm .. they give the increases as there were many trades...

NEE up 273.62 %

AEP up 53.71 %

AWK up 148.07 %

----------

XEL up 16.98%...over less than 2 years

I love their total return.

Carry on.
Just curious Oldmontana. What do the dividend per share prices look like for these stocks? Are they about in the same price range? And do the stocks pay capital gains? My utility funds dividends have ranged from about .09 - 16 cents a share and the cap gains from .39 - 1.29 per share.

Just curious Oldmontana. What do the dividend per share prices look like for these stocks? Are they about in the same price range? And do the stocks pay capital gains? My utility funds dividends have ranged from about .09 - 16 cents a share and the cap gains from .39 - 1.29 per share.
NEE 2.57%

AEP 3.75%

AWK 1.77%

They do not pay capital gains.

I used ML years ago but I did not like their lengthy, convoluted statements-way too full of numbers that don't reflect what I need to know. Add to the fact their "advisors" are not required to possess financial training/education priory to hiring in.

I used ML years ago but I did not like their lengthy, convoluted statements-way too full of numbers that don't reflect what I need to know. Add to the fact their "advisors" are not required to possess financial training/education priory to hiring in.
ML ??

Back