Anyone Let Their Hair Go Grey And Then Dyed It Back?

I stopped colouring and highlighting my hair after I retired. I don't mind the grey colour but because my hair is very fine I will need to be brave and cut it short for summer months. I am so sick of it flying into my face when it is windy out and because I usually wear a hat when I am outside; it looks even worst when I take the hat off. Sigh...
I have been wearing a 2 inch haircut for 10 years. Its fun! No hat hair either.

Someone mentioned "purple shampoo" and I wanted to comment on that and tell you my experience with it. When I was letting my natural hair color return, I tried the purple shampoo hoping it would brighten what grey I had and cover some of the faded old colored hair that was looking kind of funky. It turned my hair a muddy color instead of brightening the grey. I think it was because my hair was always so "porous" and took color easily that it just made it more muddy and purple-ish looking. I never used it again.

Someone mentioned "purple shampoo" and I wanted to comment on that and tell you my experience with it. When I was letting my natural hair color return, I tried the purple shampoo hoping it would brighten what grey I had and cover some of the faded old colored hair that was looking kind of funky. It turned my hair a muddy color instead of brightening the grey. I think it was because my hair was always so "porous" and took color easily that it just made it more muddy and purple-ish looking. I never used it again.
I've noticed a similar phenomenon with the medium brown hair, demi-perm hair color I use in that it turns nearly black on the lower parts of my hair. I've heard that everyone's hair "pulls" color differently.

My husband started going grey in his early 20s - as did my sons. Unlike many of their friends, they all have full heads of hair so they don't stress about the grey. DH's hair is now pure white. He combines regular and purple shampoo to keep his hair from yellowing, especially when we're using the pool a lot.

I colored my hair for a very long time. At least ten years ago I was ready to try going natural but didn't want to deal with the ugly growing out period or looking older because of the grey. When the March 2020 safer-at-home period began, I stopped coloring my hair. It didn't take too long to grow out, and after about four months the contrast between natural and dyed wasn't nearly as noticeable as I'd expected.

Since then I've had a bit of blonde highlighting added now and then when I get a haircut, but am not a slave to it. I greatly prefer my hair this way and am delighted to not be dealing with the constant upkeep.

Back