Appreciation of David Bowie

I have a double CD that has his greatest hits from the 70's and 80's. It is phenomenal.

I've posted this tune before. It is little known and was in the movie Cat People but I just think it shows so much depth and intensity in his voice. And Giorgio Moroder who produced it was a real innovator in electronic music. He produced Donna Summer's I Feel Love, which sounded like nothing else at the time.

David Bowie second time around. I watched Moonage Daydream yesterday and it made think about my upbringing and how fortunate David Bowie was in his ability to express himself and perhaps the encouragement he received along the way to be himself.
I didn’t myself to form an identity so I copied the identities that were available to me. I blame my parent‘s ignorance and their own misguided delusions about life that made me who I am.
It is sad now they have passed I have an interest in telling them how I feel and no one to talk to. I’ve reached to 30 or 40 trauma therapists who practice EMDR locally. but no one will see me.
I’ve to expand my search to include Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse. At this moment inclement weather, snowstorm is delaying my search.

Big Bowie fan here. Have been since circa 1974. His death was one of the very very few times I've ever been impacted at a personal level when it comes to celebrities. He was just staging a comeback, it all felt very sudden.

He had several periods, and they're all terrific. The soundtrack to the Ziggy Stardust music was recently reissued which I have here on "gold" vinyl.

The guy was a genius, and we were lucky to have him during our lifetime. That said, I saw him three times live, and that didn't go so well. I first saw him on the Serious Moonlight tour which was far too cabaret for me. I then saw the Glass Spider tour, and the less said about that live show the better. Finally I got lucky! One evening I was finishing work late in the evening, and was walking to my car in Washington, DC. I was passing a small club, and outside was a chalked sign reading "Tin Machine live tonight". I couldn't believe my eyes.

Tin Machine seems to get a lot of flack from many fans, but I loved the energy of it. So I went inside and saw Bowie with a crowd of, oh I don't know, 200? It was a very stripped back show, as you'd expect in a small club. No frills, no light show. But it was the BEST.

I have most of his albums on both CD and Vinyl. I think I'm missing Let's Dance and Tonight on Vinyl. While I love the song Let's Dance, I don't much enjoy the album. It was a (successful) foray into mainstream, chasing hits. As such, all the rough edges were removed. For example, compare the song Cat People, Puttin' Out the Fire on the Let's Dance album, to the original recording from the soundtrack. The latter is far superior.

Tonight gets a lot of flack from everyone, but when I bought the last box set I began to appreciate it for what it is - a rather throwaway silly little record that sounds like it was a lot of fun to make.

One final thing - Blackstar. As you'll know, he died the day after this was released. I heard the singles, but not the entire album. I found out about his death before playing the album, and as such have been unable, or unwilling, to go there. So Blackstar, as an album, remains unplayed to this day. I've read great things about it, and one day I'll be ready to acknowledge that Bowie isn't with us anymore. But not today.

In my opinion David Bowie was one of the most talented artists ever to live.
140 million albums sold. 128 singles. 72 music videos. 28 video album. 26 studio albums. 20 feature films.
22 year old Bowie miming
David Bowie - Love You till Tuesday

Big Bowie fan here. Have been since circa 1974. His death was one of the very very few times I've ever been impacted at a personal level when it comes to celebrities. He was just staging a comeback, it all felt very sudden.

He had several periods, and they're all terrific. The soundtrack to the Ziggy Stardust music was recently reissued which I have here on "gold" vinyl.

The guy was a genius, and we were lucky to have him during our lifetime. That said, I saw him three times live, and that didn't go so well. I first saw him on the Serious Moonlight tour which was far too cabaret for me. I then saw the Glass Spider tour, and the less said about that live show the better. Finally I got lucky! One evening I was finishing work late in the evening, and was walking to my car in Washington, DC. I was passing a small club, and outside was a chalked sign reading "Tin Machine live tonight". I couldn't believe my eyes.

Tin Machine seems to get a lot of flack from many fans, but I loved the energy of it. So I went inside and saw Bowie with a crowd of, oh I don't know, 200? It was a very stripped back show, as you'd expect in a small club. No frills, no light show. But it was the BEST.

I have most of his albums on both CD and Vinyl. I think I'm missing Let's Dance and Tonight on Vinyl. While I love the song Let's Dance, I don't much enjoy the album. It was a (successful) foray into mainstream, chasing hits. As such, all the rough edges were removed. For example, compare the song Cat People, Puttin' Out the Fire on the Let's Dance album, to the original recording from the soundtrack. The latter is far superior.

Tonight gets a lot of flack from everyone, but when I bought the last box set I began to appreciate it for what it is - a rather throwaway silly little record that sounds like it was a lot of fun to make.

One final thing - Blackstar. As you'll know, he died the day after this was released. I heard the singles, but not the entire album. I found out about his death before playing the album, and as such have been unable, or unwilling, to go there. So Blackstar, as an album, remains unplayed to this day. I've read great things about it, and one day I'll be ready to acknowledge that Bowie isn't with us anymore. But not today.
Blackstar made my heart hurt. Only listened to it once.

Back