Are advertisers coming for your dreams?

Nathan

If you’ve ever crammed for an exam just before bedtime, you may have tried something dream researchers have been attempting for decades: coaxing knowledge into dreams. Such efforts have had glimmers of success in the lab. Now, brands from Xbox to Coors to Burger King are teaming up with some scientists to attempt something similar: “Engineer” advertisements into willing consumers’ dreams, via video and audio clips.
Entire article

memory is failing me at the moment and I can't recall what the tacit is called.

But back when I was a kid, movie theaters would host double features. Between movies they would show cartoons, news clips, etc. Edited inserts of candy and pop corn and cokes were supposed to drive us out to the lobby to spend our nickels

Engineering to coax, now that's really, really scary...

memory is failing me at the moment and I can't recall what the tacit is called.

But back when I was a kid, movie theaters would host double features. Between movies they would show cartoons, news clips, etc. Edited inserts of candy and pop corn and cokes were supposed to drive us out to the lobby to spend our nickels

@SmoothSeas I think that it's subliminal advertising that you're referring to. Yes, I've heard of that "experiment" too but when I looked it up at Snopes.com, they say it's a myth that it made sales go up. This is the link. Still, if someone can invade our dreams ... Is nothing sacred anymore?

"They" really don't need to engineer. Our computers, phones, credit, debit and loyalty cards, tell them all they want to know about our spending habits. You only have to look at the recent pandemic and how cash, as in the filthy folding stuff, we demonised. Corona virus lurked on every bank note.
George Orwell's vision of Big Brother is turning out to be a scary reality. I'm with fmdog, at least we could stimulate a bit of tacit engineering of our own.

Back