Are Desktop Computers Becoming Obsolete?

A lot of programs are being offered that will now only work as apps on mobile phones. Desktops, it seems, are becoming dinosaurs.
Obsolete in what way?

Obsolete as far as people buying them goes?

Obsolete in respect to new technology not being developed to entertain desktops?

Obsolete in that manufacturers have moved to stop making desktops?

Dear husband and I couldn't be anymore happier with our desktop. Music (when played) sounds incredible with a high-end set of speakers, and when we're done plunking away on whatever it is that were doing on our desktop, we get up out of the office chair and move onto something else that interests us.

I don't own a cellphone, and in roughly 17 months, dear husband won't either, and neither of us are interested in a laptop, so our desktop is here to stay in our home.

I prefer mobility. Having been trapped at a desktop at the office for so many years, a laptop works better for me. I can take it around. People I know feel the same, but use their phones more. I can't see (nor afford) 2 or 3 devices, when one does the job.

About a year ago, I read an article stating younger people will lower use of desktops when they can use a tablet or smart phone.

So my opinion was based on these.

Not mine. I have a brand new Mac desktop... for the uninitiated Mac desktops need no towers.. they're set all in one with the monitor
I remember when they started out that way. LOL full circle in a way.
classic-apple-computer-3d-model-max-obj-3ds-c4d.jpg

I much prefer a traditional desktop. Heat is probably the biggest reason for a computer to break down, and most laptops and tablets have little or no airflow to keep the components cool. If one of those fails, it is almost cheaper to buy a new one than to fix it. Desktops are easy to fix or upgrade. What amuses me is that some people are paying well over a thousand dollars for a smartphone that probably doesn't contain more than a hundred dollars worth of components. As for "aps"....I can't think of any that would be worth paying for...or requiring a smartphone.

Plus, as my old hands age, I find it difficult to use a "flat" keyboard...but I have a nice "ergonomic" keyboard that still allows me to type fairly fast, instead of having to labor through one letter at a time on a phone.

Last edited:
I have to use a desktop because I require adaptive software due to being legally blind. I have an HP with a tower and a 34" monitor, and also an HP All-In-One with a 27" monitor. I can't use a laptop, tablet or smart phone because the screens aren't big enough to accommodate the magnification I require. So I hope desktops won't become obsolete, at least not before I do...

The problem with cellphones is not only the limited power to adequately provide full graphics but they are easy to hack just as easy as wifi, wireless modems and bluetooth devices. Laptops are convenient but since I require backlit keyboards on all my microprocessor equipped components they are extremely expensive. All in one desktops are versatile but the OS and hard drives are not only limited in power but their components are rather complicated to replace especially when they are no longer produced. Individual component based microprocessor systems are extremely robust, easy to tailor to ones individual needs, universally easy to upgrade and with the proper care can last for several years. Most of the E-waste that is shipped to Africa and South America are cellphones, tablets, laptops and low end refurbed all in one desktops. Very few tower based microprocessors are shipped there as most companies replace the components and resell them or donate them to charities and various foundations. Macs and iphones are akin to Sony Betamax vs VHS which Betamax had the better quality but cost prohibitive and not compatible with the more popular and affordable VHS platform. The Betamax concept was more appealing to commercial, studio and high end users.

I prefer the Desktop computer to other
types, the main reason being that my
fingers are too big for the keyboard in
those, plus I like the mouse.

You cannot do large jobs on a phone, at
least I can't, or write a new web page and
add pictures etc.

There will always be a desktop computer
in use somewhere.

Mike.

We have a desktop (hubby worked at home before retirement), laptops for me and hubby and all of us have a smartphone. The phone keeps us in contact and we can talk to it instead of typing (some mistakes need to be corrected but that is ok). It takes pictures and videos and holds lists and our weightloss app and a map for driving and email and weather. Shall I go on?

We have a desktop (hubby worked at home before retirement), laptops for me and hubby and all of us have a smartphone. The phone keeps us in contact and we can talk to it instead of typing (some mistakes need to be corrected but that is ok). It takes pictures and videos and holds lists and our weightloss app and a map for driving and email and weather. Shall I go on?
No need to go on for me Iris. I'm long sold.... we have the same set-up...2 desktops.. 2 laptops..and both of us have Ipads and Iphones (y)

I still have one, which is perfectly functional. The bigger screen on the monitor is better for watching tv programmes and videos on Youtube. I have all my photos stored on it, in fact I can't upload photos to my Chromebook so have to use the desktop.
Exactly Rosemarie. My monitor is 27 inches wide..it's like looking at a TV screen, and for photographic purposes it's marvellous

I much prefer a traditional desktop. Heat is probably the biggest reason for a computer to break down, and most laptops and tablets have little or no airflow to keep the components cool. If one of those fails, it is almost cheaper to buy a new one than to fix it. Desktops are easy to fix or upgrade. What amuses me is that some people are paying well over a thousand dollars for a smartphone that probably doesn't contain more than a hundred dollars worth of components. As for "aps"....I can't think of any that would be worth paying for...or requiring a smartphone.

Plus, as my old hands age, I find it difficult to use a "flat" keyboard...but I have a nice "ergonomic" keyboard that still allows me to type fairly fast, instead of having to labor through one letter at a time on a phone.
I could be wrong.....but i learned with Mac, heating is not an issue.
Have had friends that are frustrated with heating issues with other brands of laptops......they had to resort to a cooling fan attachment......but didn't always help.
Mac and apple for me.

I had 2 older desktop computers in Fresno which I never even turned on, only used my iPad and iPhone.

Got rid of them when I moved here and although they have a Mac desktop with a huge screen..I’ve never been on it and probably never will.

I seldom see anyone on it. The boys have Mac laptops which are now used mostly for zoom for school and things like that.
The one in college will watch movies on his but the 16 year old is mostly on his iPhone when not in school.

Last edited:

Back