Are kids given too much homework?

There was a thread posted on my FB timeline about doing away with giving schoolchildren homework.
https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/12/health/homework-elementary-school-study/index.htmlOne lady added this comment to it: "My son (11th grade this year) has about 2 hours of homework every night... and assignments over the summer. I think it’s a heavy load... and gets in the way of his sports."

I just am amazed that a parent would place sports over academic achievement.

Last edited:
A balanced life with a high happiness quotient is the end goal for most people, so I agree with the parents who complain that two hours of homework each night is too much.

That's assuming the kids is actually doing homework all that time rather than punctuating the time with video games, standing in front of the fridge cruising for snacks, texting with friends, or other distractions. (Unlikely.)

I'm not sure that kids need more homework, they either get it or they don't. The kids that get it don't need the homework and the kids that don't get it will flounder with the homework until they get one on one assistance or eventually give up.

IMO most of today's teaching, lecturing, etc... could be self-directed using the internet. It would give every student in the world access to the very best teachers and subject matter experts available. The actual facetime with teachers during the school day could then be devoted to hands-on lab work, problem-solving, application of skills, etc...

I just am amazed that a parent would place sports over academic achievement.

I'm not amazed. That's one of my many pet peeves. I won't support school sports or vote for any referendum that would fund sports activities. I see so many parents being so involved with their kids in sports, but not making sure they can read or write.
But, I'm a nerd, Dad was a teacher, and we had a couple of hours of homework a day when I was in school. U.S. ranks far below many western countries in education.

I'm not sure that kids need more homework, they either get it or they don't.
I sure don't get that at all. You must have been one of those A students that didn't need to study. I recall needing a lot of time to work through multi-step algebra and physics problems. One doesn't learn to read unless one spends time reading. How does one discuss literature in class unless one reads assigments so there is something to discuss. Same with writing. Takes a lot of practice, and one needs assignments to learn how to write and use grammar/punctuation/spelling properly along with good sentence construction so that one learns to convey ideas clearly and succinctly.
Otherwise, one ends up sounding just like the sports figures that are interviewed who clearly never learned the King's English (nor the Queen's).

I sure don't get that at all. You must have been one of those A students that didn't need to study. I recall needing a lot of time to work through multi-step algebra and physics problems. One doesn't learn to read unless one spends time reading. How does one discuss literature in class unless one reads assigments so there is something to discuss. Same with writing. Takes a lot of practice, and one needs assignments to learn how to write and use grammar/punctuation/spelling properly along with good sentence construction so that one learns to convey ideas clearly and succinctly.
Otherwise, one ends up sounding just like the sports figures that are interviewed who clearly never learned the King's English (nor the Queen's).

Like I said they either get it or they don't. :)

It's fine to have a different opinion but I don't really deserve a lecture because my opinion is different than yours.

Some homework is important to enhance or reinforce the day's lessons and to make clear to the student (and teacher) what lessons didn't fully take, making a review in order. But two solid hours per day is overkill.

The US isn't losing its status as a world power because our children aren't doing enough homework or they're playing too many sports. Indeed, modern universities look at far more than academics when issuing acceptances. Well-rounded students with plenty of extra curricular activities but lower SATs and GPAs receive at least as many invitations as nose-to-the grindstone students who eschew other activities.

Countries rise or fall in influence due to planetary demographics, particularly with respect to areas where people are moving from impoverishment to eager consumerism. (Hint: it ain't the Americas, Oceana, or Europe. Think Africa and Asia.)

Many countries in the Western world are desperately trying to reconstruct glory days of yesteryear instead of reading the writing on the wall about what's coming next. Good leaders understand the past but focus on the future, and stimulate creative thinking in their youth.

If a kid has no time to do anything else in the evening or at the weekend then it's too much.As a former teacher I think kids should be able to take part in activities away from school-even in after school clubs.
Two hours a night sounds far too much to me.When I was in school I don't think homework took up two hours a week.Not that I was too inclined to do it!

yes I think they have far to much -well they do in the UK.. they could do a essay but it seems far to much straight after schooling '
it puts pressure on kids -then as they go through to A =Levels it gets a lot worse ...then if they go to uni - its double the pressure why so
many end up having mental problems etc -and even suicide in some cases -a lot of young ones worry that they have not finished their homework and stress sets in a early age ..I used to have loads and it worried me back then ..

My children are all grown up,but I do have grandchildren that I have watched and helped with their homework. My 2 oldest grandchildren are in college now so I haven't helped them in a long time,but they did get a lot of homework in grade school. My 9 yr old granddaughter doesn't seem to get as much as they did .

Our exchange student from Ukraine had an 8 hr school day. He went to tutors 3 to 4 times a week and studied like crazy to pass his entry university exams. He also had about 2 hrs of homework a day.
Kid is insanely smart and very well educated, speaks 3 languages fluently and 1 other a bit. They are not allowed calculators in physics or calculus. He is just about to be 17.

Our exchange student from Denmark has a 6 hr school day, no tutors to go to, homework is handed out but not expected to be turned in. There are no sports at his school. He speaks 3 languages fluently. He can't do much math and has very little interest in education. When he goes home he will go to university, because everyone does. He is smart but doesn't have any real goals yet. He is 16.

Our exchange student from Brazil had one or two hours of homework each night. Education is very important. She spoke two languages fluently. She was here when she was 16. She is now a lawyer for international contracts in Brazil, married and has a 3 yr old son. She is also a very beautiful woman both inside and out.

It's different everywhere, all the kids seem to turn out just fine.

Our exchange student from Ukraine had an 8 hr school day. He went to tutors 3 to 4 times a week and studied like crazy to pass his entry university exams. He also had about 2 hrs of homework a day.
Kid is insanely smart and very well educated, speaks 3 languages fluently and 1 other a bit. They are not allowed calculators in physics or calculus. He is just about to be 17.

Our exchange student from Denmark has a 6 hr school day, no tutors to go to, homework is handed out but not expected to be turned in. There are no sports at his school. He speaks 3 languages fluently. He can't do much math and has very little interest in education. When he goes home he will go to university, because everyone does. He is smart but doesn't have any real goals yet. He is 16.

Our exchange student from Brazil had one or two hours of homework each night. Education is very important. She spoke two languages fluently. She was here when she was 16. She is now a lawyer for international contracts in Brazil, married and has a 3 yr old son. She is also a very beautiful woman both inside and out.

It's different everywhere, all the kids seem to turn out just fine.

How interesting, Patio. I like hearing about them.
So, you have 2 exchange student now, one from Ukraine and one from Denmark? Have you exchanged 2 of your children for them? I'd love to hear more about the program if you feel like it.

I worked with Asian people. One of them told me that their children living in the U.S. go to American schools on weekdays and on the wekends they attend Chinese school. When they are not in school, eating or sleeping, they have to study.

I have absolutely no idea my kids are grown. My grandson just started kindergarten so I guess I’ll see. I’m not too much a fan of homework I believe if the kids are going to spend eight hours a day in school they should be doing their studying there as that’s a long day and should have time to play, be with friends and to have a life. Just like at the end of the workday moms and dads go home and spend the evening with their family kids should be able to do the same thing.

How interesting, Patio. I like hearing about them.
So, you have 2 exchange student now, one from Ukraine and one from Denmark? Have you exchanged 2 of your children for them? I'd love to hear more about the program if you feel like it.
We only have one exchange student at a time. Teenagers need a lot of attention. Coming to a new country, new culture, new food - it's not easy. They are all brave kids.

There are two programs we have been involved in, STS Foundation which is through the State Department and Rotary. STS you have the kid for the school year. Rotary you have the kid for around 3 months. The Rotary kids get a new host family but stay in the same high school.

We are on our 4th exchange student and have really loved the kids. (Brazil, Germany, Ukraine, Denmark) We also get to know some of the other students. My favorite last year was Salsa, from Malesia. She is Muslim and needed a Halloween costume. I have some middle ages outfits that are very modest, worked great. Some of the kids are very independent and some need a helicopter mom for awhile. It takes a couple of months for the kids to really settle in.

Hubby's youngest daughter spent a school year in Argentina. Terra del Fiego. We went to see her towards the end of her exchange and became very close friends with her host parents. We could now go to several places around the world and have people we know, who have shared their children with us.

I worked with Asian people. One of them told me that their children living in the U.S. go to American schools on weekdays and on the wekends they attend Chinese school. When they are not in school, eating or sleeping, they have to study.
I think that’s kind of sad

Back